Clarity production ends August 2021

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by RichL, Jun 17, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. RichL

RichL Member

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

Not surprised at all.This was the chronicle of an announced death. Slow sales? They were pretty good for a car with ZERO advertisement. Most people didn't even know this car ever existed. Commitment? If they really will continue to support us, it remains to be seen. I am preparing for a tough ride hopefully to the end of the extended warranty, unless my fears materialize and I am forced to ditch the car that I love for something surely not Honda. Looking forward to the new Mazda PHEV SUV...

SThomas219 likes this.
  4. SThomas219

SThomas219 Active Member

This is sad new. While I moved on to a Mach-E, I would have loved a Clarity EV with 250+ miles. It is a nice driving car, large and comfy. Honda just isn't into making EVs right now for the US. I know they have plans but who knows when they will show up.

I still have my 2018 Clarity on lease until October. It will be a bargain for someone with the unexpected little use in miles.

Teslawannabe likes this.
  5. Teslawannabe

Teslawannabe Active Member

Ie your Mach E roughe riding compared the Clarity? How are you liking it so far?
    Sent from my SM-N986U using Inside EVs mobile app

6. SThomas219

SThomas219 Active Member

The Mach-E is a mix between a Clarity and a Mustang coupe. It's not rough riding but the suspension is stiffer and not as smooth as the Clarity. Still it is not as stiff as my Mustang coupe with Performance package. The Mach-e is fun when driving fast then the Clarity and does not handle as well as the Mustang coupe. The Mach-E will be my daily, year around driver and for that, it is much more fun and able to drive than the Clarity and fully electric. I drove the Clarity like an EV for my daily commute but for longer drives, the Mach-E can not be beat for economy and fun. Especially with the steep rise in gas prices this year.

fotomoto likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ManKo

ManKo Member

If you look at the early press releases of the Clarity (late 2017), Honda stated they expected to sell approximately 75,000 of these in 4-years. It makes sense that the 2021 is going to be the last model year.

insightman and BrianRC like this.
  9. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Honda sold only 14K gen-1 Insights in 7 years. It's a rare company that chooses to beat down their bean counters and produce a limited run of high-tech cars that don't make a profit. I could not have afforded a $45K Insight in 2000 or a $60K Clarity PHEV in 2017, so I feel lucky to have benefited twice (well, 3 times because I drove 2 gen-1 Insights between 2000 and 2019).

The only other company who did such a thing was Fiat-Chrysler with the electric Fiat 500e. CEO Sergio Marchionne was quoted as saying, "I hope you don't buy it because every time I sell one it costs me $14,000."

10. turtleturtle

turtleturtle Active Member

Dang it. I was holding out hope.

11. Paddy

Paddy Member

It’s a good car.

Remarksman, SThomas219 and insightman like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.