Navigation update

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Bookbear, Jun 16, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Bookbear

Bookbear Member

So, today I get an email from Hyundai, reminding me that I have free map updates for three years, and the newest update is now available, and that I can either download it and do it myself (it's easy!) or pay (wait... what happened to 'free'?) to have the update sent to me on a USB stick. I carefully watched the video that the email linked me to and took notes as there were a lot of menu choices to make in the car. I even took my laptop with me to the car once I had downloaded the update and was ready to begin.

First, the download of the zip file and the subsequent unzipping of the files took at least twice as long as stated, well over 90 minutes. That could be my wifi, of course. But...

Nowhere in the email, the video, or instructions is there any mention of anything other than a map update. The terms 'navigation update' and 'map update' are used frequently, and the uploader you have to install on your computer first is called "Navigation Updater"... NOWHERE is there any indication that what will actually happen is a complete SYSTEM update, one that will trash all of your options settings, install new, different icons, and alter many of the menu locations of options, and even change the names of some of those options!

I am furious. The three weeks I've spent customizing the display and (many) options has been totally wasted. The extensively illustrated manuals that came with the car are now greatly reduced in value. Use the images to find a menu? Forget it, most of the images no longer apply because they look utterly different from what you now see. Read the directions? Forget it, they refer to no-longer-valid locations or to incorrect names of menu choices.

If Hyundai wants to change the entire look and layout of the screens and options/settings, I suppose I am at their mercy. But at least tell me what is being done, so I can choose not to apply the update.

BTW, Hyundai Customer Care says there is no way to undo the update.

DaveO and electriceddy like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. You have my sympathy, next time send that e-mail to the trash folder where it belongs, unfortunately too late to change now...:(
    perhaps a pre-read in this thread might have influenced an alternate decision:
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/navigation-update-v-15-released-today.10811/#post-130284

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    mho and DaveO like this.
  4. My car will go to the scrap heap with the original 2018 software.

DaveO likes this.
  5. Bookbear

Bookbear Member

<thud> <thud> <thud> (the sound of me banging my head against the garage wall)
    Too late now. but oh, how I wish had read that thread prior (so much to catch up on). At least the satellite radio was easy to re-authorize (that got trashed, too). It's the only thing that's been easy today.

6. I will disagree with you guys and I like that hyundai is making those changes. I am completely happy with the new update, of course not (that radio station interface), but being able to receive new features a new and cleaner interface is something that I'm looking forward with these tech cars.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

The issue I have with the NAV & MAP Updates is that they're just So frickin CONFUSING. They are indeed 2 different Updates (NAV vs MAPS) - but use the same NAVIGATION UPDATER that we install on our computer. The UPDATE Site (https://update.hyundai.com/US/EN/Main) shows the current version to be APRIL 2021. And in fact when I ran the UPDATER, at the very bottom it says "APRIL 2021". However, it is NOT the APRIL version... what gets downloaded & installed is the MAY 24, 2021 version. (the file in the folder is : OSEV.USA.S5W_M.V006.001.210524 << the last 6 digits is the yy/mm/dd of the update) ... And APPEARS to be only the NAVIGATION software, not actual MAPS. (I may be wrong about that last part, but at least that's what I am seeing.) And YES - I received that Email from Hyundai about "free MAP update" .. Honestly, this is all a POC. Hyundai & the MapnSoft & the Bluelink teams don't seem to communicate at all. And to think they expect me/us to PAY $30/month for this & Bluelink after the Trial expires ??? hmmmph .. I will definitely reconsider at that time if they can't get this mess all sorted out.

9. Bookbear

Bookbear Member

Ah! a friendly disagreement! How rare on the internet:)... I would politely disagree on the cleaner interface... to me, much more cluttered and not intuitive. I will say that the additional voice commands are nice, and the navigation directions voice seems clearer.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  10. Bookbear

Bookbear Member

My download from yesterday was the April one, and it did WAY more than just the maps and/or navigation system <grumble>. There were a number of file options to download, and I went with the one that the downloadable pdf document indicated was the one for my model year and trim level.