Carplay issues?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by PriusGeek, Jun 9, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. PriusGeek

PriusGeek Member

I have an IPhone 12 and a 2018 Touring. Love them both. Since I started using the iPhone 12 with Carplay and IOS14, 've been having odd issues. Waze suddenly became unusable. It would forget saved destinations and occasionally just freeze and once in awhile make the Clarity screen totally unresponsive. So I started using Apple maps, and more oddness. Things seem to work OK for a few minutes (just displaying the map) and then all of a sudden, the screen goes blank. In this case, I can still access the Clarity native stuff, but Carplay is a no-go. Disconnecting the phone, waiting 10seconds or so and plugging it back in seems to clear the issue.
    Has anyone else seen issues like this? If so, any tips to avoid the problems?

Thanks!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I’ve had the screen go into vapor lock while using Pandora.

It is almost a certainty that I jilted technology in a previous life, and it is now seeking revenge. Just last night the Dish remote became uncooperative. Yes, we replaced the batteries and synchronized it with the receiver.

4. Boston_Pilot

Boston_Pilot Active Member

Would you by any chance be using a Beta version of iOS? Maybe a non Apple cord? CarPlay issues are almost always device related, not car.

5. leehinde

leehinde Active Member

I had occasional issues pre iOS v14.5, since 14.5 I've had many more. Waze, Music and the CarPlay app all go wonky.

One thing I discovered was that if the CarPlay screen goes dark, but things appear to be working (i.e., Music is still playing): trigger Siri on the phone and sometimes the screen will come back.

Vojin Janjic and StickWare like this.
  6. PriusGeek

PriusGeek Member

My wife has the same issue! I feel your pain. ;-)

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. PriusGeek

PriusGeek Member

Nope, just stock latest IOS and a real Apple lightning cable. I suppose it could be the cable, though. Worth swapping it out to see if anything changes...

9. Francofun

Francofun Member

I have the exact same issue with my new iPhone 12 mini and also had the same issue with my previous iPhone SE 2020… very annoying

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Inside EVs

10. ManKo

ManKo Member

You wouldn’t happen to be using a VPN on your phone? One time I left my VPN connection active and it made CarPlay completely unusable.

11. PriusGeek

PriusGeek Member

Hmmm. Not a VPN per se, but I do run Adblock, which is very similar. It runs a local "VPN" to block ads from specific IP addresses. I'll try disabling it to see if it makes a difference. I also notice that waiting until the car and entertainment system are fully booted up and running before I connect my phone seems to make CarPlay much more reliable as well. Thanks for the tip!

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Francofun

Francofun Member

For my part, I am not using any VPN nor adblocker, but my phone is configured to access emails from the job using XenMobile (Citrix) profiles... Could this have a similar effect? Yet, everything works fine most of the time.
    I actually suspected that it had something to do with HondaHack and therefore that I had to live with it ;)
    I can also report that the behavior is not (yet) present on my brand new Toyota Highlander...

14. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

I wonder if this is similar to Android Auto not working because Wifi is still active on the phone and it is trying to use Wifi instead of cellular data to provide a connection? I have to manually turn off Wifi each time I connect my OnePlus 8 Pro to my 2018 Clarity using Android Auto.

15. PriusGeek

PriusGeek Member

I don't think this is what's happening in my case. I've had the problem when leaving home (on wifi) and from places I know the phone is on cellular data.

16. Fastermac

Fastermac New Member

Picked up a 2021 Clarity at the end of May. Awesome car!

I have CarPlay issues as well. In the past month while using navigation (mostly Waze) the head unit has frozen multiple times.

We own 3 other Hondas and the only one that is rock solid with CarPlay is the 2018 Odyssey. Two Accords (2016 and 2017 Hybrid) are the worst. 9/10 times the head units crash when a navigation App is running (Apple Maps, Waze or Google Maps). Thankfully they work well with Apple Music and phone functions including Siri.

I disagree that it is device (phone) related. We have 4 iPhones in the family and only the Odyssey with the newest designed electronics is error free when using the Navigation App. We have driven multiple 1300 mile road trips in the Odyssey with zero errors.

We have gotten several over the air updates to the Odyssey which probably is key to keeping it working with Apple's iOS updates. I think Honda should provide an update for the older head units as well. We are otherwise very happy with our cars.

17. Vojin Janjic

Vojin Janjic New Member

Starting in early June 2021, screen on my 2018 Clarity goes completely dark and unresponsive about 20-30% of the time. My iPhone 12 works just fine in the background, and can be controlled on the phone screen. Unplug-plug always seems to clear the problem. Does not seem to be related to sequence of when it's plugged in (car, on, car off, phone locked, phone unlocked, etc.)

18. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

Recently back from a long trip where I used carplay a bunch. I did have problems including some crashes, but if and only if I was using Waze. If I used say google maps instead, no issues. (I prefer waze so kind of a bummer. I ended up running waze on a second phone in the car and keeping google maps on the head unit-- that solved the problem. No more crashes or issues. i.e. mapping and music worked fine for many hours, as long as Waze was not in use).

19. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

I have a venerable iPhone 7 (suited perfectly for my needs, feeling no urge to ditch it) running iOS 14.6. I don't use Waze (although I like it) because I love the split screen option I can only have with Apple or Google Maps. This said, from the start but very randomly I have had issues with the screen going black when starting CarPlay (with music playing) or even showing a message of "unable to connect to smartphone" (with the music still playing). Usually it fixes after unplugging and replugging the phone, but in a couple of instances I had to turn the car off and back on to get it working. It has happened with both Google and Apple maps.

20. PriusGeek

PriusGeek Member

FYI, you can now get split-screen with Waze in iOS14!

21. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

Thanks! Just tested it.

22. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

Update: An hour after posting this I went out using Apple maps. At some point on the middle of my trip the map froze and controls didn't work. I parked, unplugged and replugged the phone, wouldn't load Apple maps. Tried switching to Google maps, the map didn't load. Tried turning off and restarting the phone. Neither map worked. Curiously, music was playing all along. Had to end with the native navigation. This is Las Vegas with 109F outside, although obviously the A/C was running...

23. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

I admit to almost never using carplay. I did on a 2800 mile trip recently. i.e. I like the USB plugged in to do the maps/music and charge the phone. But around town, I just use bluetooth audio. For me the bluetooth has been absolutely perfect. iphone XS max, iOS 14.6. When using carplay with waze things got weird a few times. Anyway, I did reboot the android display (hold the power until you see "reboot?" and that always seemed to fix things for awhile).

And as noted in this thread, a new Waze was released. I know I updated about 1.5 weeks ago before my trip, so its' new since then. Downloading it now.

So short of it is I do believe folks who have had problems with carplay. My experience is limited as I mostly only care for bluetooth. I do have touring model, so I can use the less good built in maps.