Clarity can handle corners!

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by David in TN, May 16, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. David in TN

David in TN Well-Known Member

I will need to clarify (pun intended.)

Before my 2018 Clarity, I had a 2017 Civic Si. Awesome car. Cornered like it was on rails. Ran great and strong. Averaged 37+ mpg. However, at that time I was doing tons of stop-and-go driving in city traffic and manual tranny got to be old - for this old guy.

Traded it for the Clarity.

Now, a while back I picked up a set of wheels off of a Nissan Maxima. They came with the same tires (Goodyear Eagle's) that were on the Civic Si. The difference in cornering capability is awesome! I can easily take a given corner 10+ mph faster than I could with the stock tires. When I say this, I mean the original tires would be squealing, where the Eagles just grab the road and don't squeal at all at a faster speed.

It seems that the Clarity is just under-tired (if that's a useful phrase?) and that it has a really good suspension under it. Having the other tires makes all the difference in the world for handling country roads.

These also seem to be a different compound that wear as long, if not longer than the Michelin's that are OEM.

When I get new tires... I know what I will be getting! More Goodyear Eagles!

YMMV!

sabasc likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I have a 110-mile-range MINI Electric for cornering and a Clarity for distance. I agree the Clarity's OEM tires don't do justice to its suspension. If cornering is the priority, range really doesn't matter, but have you noticed a difference in range?

sabasc likes this.
  4. insightman likes this.
  5. PHEVDave

PHEVDave Active Member

That would be my concern too. I am more interested in fuel economy than being able to take a corner at high speed. So far, I’m pretty content with its cornering ability with the OEM tires.

sabasc likes this.
  6. insightman

I don't believe anyone on this forum has reported finding tires that enable the Clarity PHEV to exceed the range it gets with the OEM tires. It would be nice if there were such tires and even nicer if those better-range tires offered more cornering power, but I doubt that combination is possible. Because my priority for our Clarity is distance, I'll be sticking with the OEM tires when it's time for a new set. When my driving occasionally gets a bit spirited and I hear a squeal, it reminds me I'm hastening the day that a new set of tires will be required.

sabasc likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

I don't believe anyone on this forum has reported finding tires that enable the Clarity PHEV to exceed the range it gets with the OEM tires. It would be nice if there were such tires and even nicer if those better-range tires offered more cornering power, but I doubt that combination is possible. Because my priority for our Clarity is distance, I'll be sticking with the OEM tires when it's time for a new set. When my driving occasionally gets a bit spirited and I hear a squeal, it reminds me I'm hastening the day that I'll have to pony up the bucks for a new set.

sabasc likes this.
  9. AlAl

AlAl Active Member

Clarity's have independent multilink setup on the rear, while civics are equipped with a torsion beam

sabasc likes this.
  10. David in TN

It is difficult to tell about range, since temps have generally been "cooler" than average. Been having high temps in the 60s. I'm showing 43 miles on the GOM. However, this week, temps should be in the 70s-80s, so I'm hoping to see more range on the GOM. I also doing some Courier driving on the side, and may run 200-300 miles a day. The time is split between interstate, city, and country roads. Last year, in July, I was near 60 miles on the GOM. We'll see how it goes. I still have the OWM's with about 50% tread wear on them.

sabasc likes this.
  11. Agzand

Agzand Active Member

Clarity has nice steering and corners well as long as weight transfer is gradual. If you need left-right maneuvers like mouse test it get all kind of out of shape due to tires not having enough grip. But I also feel with stickier tires it will do much better.

sabasc likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

I've written in another thread about my experiences with the Michelin Crossclimate+. I mostly got them because the OEM tires are really awful on snow. In my experience and that of another poster, we haven't noticed any significant reduction in range or mpg, maybe a smidge. I believe the OEM tires are the most energy efficient out there and hence their high price. For that efficiency, there are major compromises in performance. The CC+ (less expensive than OEM) is vastly superior in every other way. It really transformed how the Clarity drives. Like the OP, I didn't know the Clarity could handle and stop as well it does until I replaced the OEM tires. It also performed better in heavy snow than my AWD Outback (with regular all season tires). So much so that I'm installing Crossclimates on it tomorrow. BTW, the CC+ is the top rated high performance tire on Consumer Reports. It has a higher load and speed rating than the OEM tires too.

sabasc, jpkik96 and PHEVDave like this.
  14. insightman

I think the mouse has to accept it made a fatal mistake in that test. For the moose test on the other hand...you want all the agility your car can muster.

sabasc, Agzand and SSpiffy like this.
  15. Agzand

Agzand Active Member

Touché! Yep the old mouse had no chance whatsoever.

sabasc and insightman like this.
  16. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

When I see this: " If you need left-right maneuvers like mouse test "
    What is the mouse test?

Dan

sabasc likes this.
  17. insightman

There was just one letter wrong in the name of the test. Being a Canadian resident, you're more likely to be subjected to the moose test than I am in Michigan. The real "mouse test" involves checking your car's cabin air filter.

sabasc, Domenick and Agzand like this.
  18. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

Now I got it

sabasc likes this.
  19. Dzyak

Dzyak New Member

Previously had a mini and also have a model 3-- both of those corner very very well and set way too high of an expectation for my clarity. :) It does fine, but in comparison...

20. David in TN

Here's an update on gas mileage for the tires:
    Goodyear Eagles: 48.03 (11 tanks of gas)
    Stock Michelins: 53.40 (9 tanks of gas)

This is since May 5th. (yes, I started a new courier job and am filling up almost daily now.) Most of my driving is below 75 mph on interstate, or backroads at 55 mph or greater. I'm covering, on average, 375 miles a day.

So - the bottom line is -- do you prefer gas mileage or better handling?

ICanBreakIt and MrFixit like this.
  21. insightman

I doubt that you can buy a better-handling PHEV than the Clarity Plug-In Hybrid. I kept the high-efficiency OEM tires because our Clarity is for long-distance drives. Because I place a very high value on handling I bought the most nimble BEV for the fun drives (for which its very limited range doesn't pose a problem).

22. SSpiffy

SSpiffy Member

One of my hobbies is waving flags at racecars. If you're in Seattle area, plan on going to Pacific Raceways 4th of July weekend for the NW Historics, biggest vintage event in the West.

Going to my station usually involves driving the track. While the Clarity doesn't match up with what I used to drive (see photo) and I'm still finding the limits on the stock tires, I'm impressed with the cornering ability. FB_IMG_1617114116039.jpeg

Gene 2020 Honda Clarity
    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Inside EVs mobile app

insightman likes this.
  23. David in TN

Now I'm wondering...

I have both a ScanGauge II and an Autel. Does anyone know of a way that I can measure lateral acceleration (g-force) with either device. It would be an interesting comparison.

Yes, I know it has to calculated going both directions, with a defined diameter circle. :)