Efficiency comparison, Kona vs. Tesla Model Y

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by FloridaSun, Jun 2, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I never charged to 100% yet. I know from the forums that there is no regen at 100% but never tried it.. Will save 100% charges for when I need them..

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

My understanding is that Tesla doesn't do integrated / blended regen braking at all, unless that's
    changing with the 3 or Y. I would find that profoundly annoying.

What is the control for setting regen level? Almost certainly not something as easy and quick as
    our paddles.

_H*

4. FloridaSun

You have 2 driving settings.. CHILL and STANDARD.. Not sure if regen is different between the 2.. Feels the same to me. I believe that Tesla removed the adjustability of REGEN.. I didn't see a setting for it in the DRIVING tab of the menu.. I do like the way the brakes feel on the Tesla. No noticeable transition from REGEN to friction.

5. FloridaSun

Looked at the Driving menu again.. I believe tha Hold/Creep/Roll setting handles regen where Hold is the highest level. 20210605_133535.jpg

6. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Sheez, that makes no intuitive sense. "Creep" is something that happens *after* stopping..

And having to mess with menus to change it is just wrong.

_H*

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. FloridaSun

not a big deal for me.. I like HOLD, so that's what it will be set to.. The paddles on the Kona are great but I can live without them..

9. "Creep" is what happens with the Kona *instead* of stopping.

Intuitively, I would expect Creep to be what the Kona does, Roll to stop and then act as if in neutral, so roll forward or backward if on an incline, and Hold to stop and stay there. Hold is true one-pedal driving. Too bad the Kona doesn't have it.

electriceddy likes this.
  10. FloridaSun

I never tried the 2 other options as I'm a big fan of Hold. Hold works fantastic. Actually prevents the car from rolling back or forward after coming to a stop and the car somes to a stop with hold, even downhill. For example, with the BMW i3, it will stop the car on a flat surface but if the street is slightly downhill, it keeps creeping.

11. Call me old school, but I most always stop with the foot brakes like a conventional car (and keep it there until it is time to go). You do have full regen capability while slowing to a stop, so no loss there.
    I rarely use SCC to slow me down to a stop behind traffic, as it is too slow a response for my liking.
    There are several quirks with the Auto Hold feature as well. (1) Jerks during reverse and (2) engages the EPB when you shut off the car.
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/small-issues-quirks.5006/page-5#post-55240
    and
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/brake-light.6205/#post-69353

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Lisa Gordon

Lisa Gordon New Member

Lol "old school" for me is almost never using my brakes until the last few feet of coming to a stop (if I had enough notice I would be stopping) because every car I have owned until yesterday (though I don't take possession of my Kona EV until tomorrow afternoon) has been a manual transmission lol. So I think I will likely use the "one pedal" driving a lot :)

Wildeyed likes this.
  14. FloridaSun

Did my first short mostly highway trip (80% highway with autopilot set to 70 mph) and 20% city with AC off.. Results were impressive.. 231 Wh/mile, over 4.3 miles/kwh.. For the size vehicle, this is amazing efficiency.. Screenshot_20210607-120816_TezLab.jpg

Fastnf and nigels like this.
  15. Both the Tesla MY and the Ioniq 5 were on my short list as a replacement for my Kona. I was actually leaning more towards the Ioniq 5 for various reason, but then I saw a Youtube video this weekend of someone taking the Ioniq 5 LR/AWD Ultimate on an extended range test. Granted, it was raining the entire trip, but it did way poorer than expected. This might be its Achilles heal.

16. Well according to this recent 21 EV drive until it stops test done by The Norwegian Automotive Federation the Kona drove 483km vs 460 for Ioniq 5 vs 448 km for Model 3 SR. https://insideevs.com/news/512426/norway-ev-summer-range-test/ No model Y but you can get a rough idea on efficiency based the model 3 SR and LR examples. The only EVs that did better on range did so on the basis of a bigger battery(at a typical economic premium) not necessarily because of improved efficiency. To me at least the Ioniq 5 doesn't impress as much as the Kona does in respect to how far it can get you vs the price paid. Sure there is improved charging efficiencies with these new models but some of the folks like myself who have to deal with with poorly developed DC charging infrastructures "first charged range" remains king.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    R P likes this.
  17. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

precondition an EV before driving,while plugged in is the best. it doesn't need to work as hard to maintain cabin temp.

18. Maple

Maple Member

IMG_2699.JPG

I am very happy with my Kona efficiency
    Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Wildeyed and electriceddy like this.