2022 Mini SE - In Focus: The Humble Key Fob

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by GvilleGuy, Jun 8, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

I saw that but was concerned the metal would block the key's signal enough to interfere with the lock/unlock button on the handle. I think the painted metal would also probably scratch pretty quickly...

This is the other one I was looking at, shapeways prints would be much nicer than my FDM printer

insightman likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

I have the Shapeways one for my wife's Clubman. Perfect fit, no complaints.

Carsten Haase likes this.
  4. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

Seeing photos of the fob prior to actually owning the Mini, I thought I would want to buy a slimmer profile. But, it is smaller than my imagination made it. It has not been an issue for me in my pocket.

5. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I had an issue with the fob always opening the hatch when I sat in my car, which irritated me to no end. I considered a smaller fob, but then I disabled the hatch button from the settings menu and now I never have to worry about the hatch accidentally opening when I'm getting ready to go somewhere.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    polyphonic, Texas22Step and GvilleGuy like this.
  6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

The panic button might have been a last-minute delete because nobody told the people writing the 2021 Owners Manual.

upload_2021-6-9_21-28-39.png

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bldxyz

bldxyz Well-Known Member

That’s the one I got!

9. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

I speculate that the key fob gets a panic button only if the car is equipped with the alarm system.

If I recall correctly, the alarm system was optional for 2020/21 but standard for 2022.

10. Newkirk

Newkirk Active Member

I had to pay $500 for the alarm system in the 2022.

11. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

The alarm is (or was) included on the iconic trim for 2022. Who knows what is happening right now with Mini options. Seems like a lot of crap happening.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

In the build option PDF I found back in March, it lists the alarm as standard only on the Iconic trim and optional for the other two.

MichaelC and GvilleGuy like this.
  14. Newkirk

Newkirk Active Member

Sorry, I should have said that I ordered a signature plus. So yes, it's standard on Iconic, $500 option on the other trims.

15. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

When I ordered my 2021 SE (one of the early ones), there was no alarm system option. I'm certain none of the 2020 models have an alarm system either. No panic button on my fob.

Texas22Step, MichaelC and insightman like this.
  16. insightman

You and I both have the "more-humble" key-fob.

I pointed out the 2021 Owners Manual photo of the fob with the panic button to my Motoring Advisor when I took delivery of my SE, but she had no valid answer (like the dealers delivering SEs with no rear parking sensors these days).

17. TempoHouse

TempoHouse Member

I hate car alarms and so does our dog, so I tried to delete it from our 22 Iconic order, but they told us we were stuck with it. It was almost a deal breaker.

Lainey, polyphonic and Puppethead like this.
  18. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

That was my experience, too (also 2021).

19. insightman

MINI used to accommodate customer requests. Perhaps they believe there is no real competition in the compact, sporty, well-appointed car niche, so prospective customers can just take it or leave it. Fortunately for me, they nearly hit the bullseye with my 2021 Iconic SE. All I had to do was change the hood to make it perfect.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    Texas22Step and GvilleGuy like this.
  20. bldxyz

bldxyz Well-Known Member

That was my experience.

I think they added it as standard for the Iconic Trim because some of the 2021 Iconic features became standard across all 2022 trims, such as the 8.8” nav screen.

21. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

Same, I am quite happy to learn my car lacks an alarm system!

22. stw203

stw203 Member

Nice Keysmart!!!

GvilleGuy likes this.
  23. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

Same, though and audible sound when locking was missed originally by myself when I moved to Mini.

Something that we need to always point out is that the circular exterior is removable for those who want a smaller fob too!