2022 Mini SE - In Focus: The Humble Key Fob

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by GvilleGuy, Jun 8, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

This is my third video in my 2022 series. Perhaps some of you can give it a watch and fact check me! I am glad I went through the process of reviewing the fob, as it taught me a thing or three...

Novadar, J.Dubs, endquote and 6 others like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Excellent video! As always, very professionally made. I learned things--I've never tried to use the key.

The only key-fob topic not included was showing how to change the battery (or at least mentioning it might be good to have a spare 2032 in your kitchen drawer). There are already other battery-changing videos, but if you do one, you might mention there are 3rd-party key-fob housings that can reduce the size of the key fob. I keep my eye open for a 3rd-party housing specifically for the MINI Electric (perhaps in Energetic Yellow).

GvilleGuy likes this.
  4. GvilleGuy

Thanks for watching the video! My first two videos got some decent views so far. I felt like I was breaking the door handle making that key cover come off, but it actually came off easily and went back on tightly. So I think it will hold up to occasional use. I think it would be a very rare event, but good to know how to do it.

Another item I left out was the fob sensor on the steering column, which I have actually had to use one time. I put my fob in the drink holder along with my phone. So the phone was "covering" the fob. A message popped up that the key was not detected and to hold the fob against the icon on the right side of the steering column. I did that and the key was then detected.

5. GvilleGuy

My next effort is more ambitious - a demo of all of the lighting....the new headlights, the interior LED lighting, etc. That will require some night photography.

Whosehouse, Newkirk, MichaelC and 2 others like this.
  6. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Warning on the key cover...the cover fell off my 2015 Hardtop while in transit (so it was lost), and the whole handle had to be replaced. Dealer said it happened quite a bit. Hopefully MINI has replacement covers only now, or have fixed the problem of the cover popping off. Ever since then I've been wary of taking it off.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. TripleD

TripleD Active Member

Thank you GvilleGuy, You do a great job with your videos. Much better than reading the manual, can't wait for our Mini to arrive in the next couple of weeks.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  9. GvilleGuy

Thanks! I was wondering about you yesterday. I knew you were getting close.

10. TripleD

TripleD Active Member

Graceful Leader coming up the Mexican coast, off Baja California. Scheduled to arrive in California on June 10 and then transport to Colorado.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  11. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

Great video! Looks like the 2022 includes a few extras (lock/unlock sound, panic button) that my 2021 sig+ does not have. Also nice to see how the manual key works with the car.

Video request: the traction control system. This really separates the Mini from the rest of the FWD pack. The others are, in my opinion, annoying to drive spiritedly! The Mini SE/i3S traction control is really something special.

Looking forward to the rest of the series.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Newkirk

Newkirk Active Member

Great video! It was very informative, and I especially enjoyed the history lesson! I think I'm really going to like having the power folding mirrors and the ability to open/close them with the fob.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  14. GvilleGuy

There is also a ha
    Wow - really? I would have thought the 2021 would have the unlock sound and the panic button.

Hmmm...how would one do a video on the traction control system? That seems like a job for someone with more experience - like the EV peeps who run this forum!

15. Newkirk

Newkirk Active Member

???? A happy feeling when you press the button and the mirrors fold/unfold?

16. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

The traction control system's brilliance is what it prevents from happening. That's tough to depict in a video. "Look, I can't do a burn-out in my MINI Cooper SE!" The car just goes with no drama, no matter how hard you press the pedal. Also, it increases tire life by a bunch of miles.

Urbanengineer and polyphonic like this.
  17. GvilleGuy

LOL! As close as I can figure, that was a partial paste from a work email. I was multi-tasking!

18. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

I was a bit disappointed to learn that my signature does not have the option to beep/honk when locking/unlocking... I thought that was a pretty standard feature?

19. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

Yep, not there for some reason. There is a blank in the fob where the panic button would be (lol).
    Still, I much prefer the silence to an obnoxious tone or horn that you can't adjust. (anyone hear the Mach-E horn on lock? It's like a train horn)
    One nice thing about the silent lock is the car will only flash the lights once rather than rewarding those that press the lock button 68 times as they walk away from their car.

Yeah, it's just really nice. There's the perfect blend of 'locked down' with a bit of playfulness. It feels like it's cutting just enough power to stop the wheels from chirping (unless you really want them to ;) ). I drove a Bolt and Niro after we picked up the Mini and their systems were downright annoying. Apply too much power and the wheels just spin helplessly until you ease up.

My thought for a video was a gopro mounted at the driver position with some spirited driving. You and @GvilleGuy are right in that it's a tough thing to show on camera.
    I could be wrong, but I think the i3S and Mini traction control has some predictive system at play. It's more sophisticated than the average traction control.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  20. Carsten Haase

I think its just actually designed to take advantage of the electric motors. ICE cars can get away with relatively slow traction control systems because they wouldn't be able to get all the moving parts in the engine to slow down/speed up quickly anyway. Electric motors have less rotating mass, precise control, and a large instant torque response. A fast traction control computer with a simple algorithm can take advantage of that and appear "magic" by seeing the slip and reacting before you even know what has happened!

MichaelC and GvilleGuy like this.
  21. bldxyz

bldxyz Well-Known Member

Wow.

I'm quasi-relieved. I knew everything in the video except the way to get into the car without the fob working. Man, removing a key-cover, that seems ... cheap.

Personally, the fob never leaves my pocket anymore. I just find it too convenient. Plus, I got a slim-line outer case (sure, the roundness is a solid echo to the other design elements, but who wants to put that in your pocket?). So now, it's just the little button to open the car for me!

GvilleGuy likes this.
  22. Carsten Haase

Which one did you get? I just want a slim black plastic one to match the factory finish but can't really find that. I'll probably just print one myself and spend some time sanding and finishing...

23. Would this one work?