Screen Removal

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Jason Timpone, Dec 3, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. cyberteen

cyberteen Member

This one? This post only discusses how to install Android apps on the unit? And I don’t fully understand what that post meant.

All I am asking how will they be fully functional after installing for Honda Clarity? How do you talk to the car?

I am genuinely asking to understand.

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

Although I view this as highly improbable, I think what @JustAnotherPoorDriver is saying is that he thinks the Accord tablet is likely to be 'hardware compatible' (same hardware connections to the vehicle, and same tablet architecture). 'known Android Apps' will install and run just fine, and the Clarity-Specific Apps' will have the wherewithal to communicate with the vehicle. The Android OS does not need to be aware of the vehicle, just the Clarity-specific Apps.

Even if it is possible, there is no point in doing it if the tablet is literally the same. If the Accord tablet has any significant performance advantage, then it is likely a different architecture and things won't port over.

If @JustAnotherPoorDriver is happy with the marginal performance of the factory head unit, and just wants a slightly larger size and a volume control (as he described in his earlier post), then maybe there's a chance. This is a lot to go through for such a meager improvement. An Accord head unit will likely be expensive (even from a junk vehicle), and there is [some] risk that you could mess up something in the Clarity that would be difficult to recover from.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
  4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

That would be an expensive volume knob. I doubt the tablet from a newer, wrecked Accord would be cheap even if Android wizardry could make it work in a Clarity.

My compact, sporty 2021 BEV has a volume knob, but people complained that the 1/0 logo in the center of the knob rotated with the knob (some people are never satisfied!). To my surprise, that design flaw was fixed for 2022. The outside of the knob now rotates while the center doesn't. The on/off logo on the volume-knob center button always remains obsessive-compulsively upright.

JustAnotherPoorDriver likes this.
  5. Reasonably accurate summary of my thoughts. Honda is using an informatics system built by a third party--I just don't see the benefit for them to have multiple different interfaces vs. just buy a series from the same manufacturer who has probably standardized their line.

I'm actually fine with the tablet, although I'd like a wider one with side-by-side android auto that could keep my Waze and the turn camera on at the same time, so I don't have all the "bings" that interrupt my podcasts when turning right on navigation. I need to find that setting (but not driving enough now to care)

That said, I think someone will look at this when their tablet breaks, outside of warranty, and they need to stick a wreck tablet in anyway. It's a lot easier to find an Accord wreck, although I guess you could just use the old Civic/CRV tablet (which is, I think, what we have).

LOL. Someone is listening to their customers