Battery Recall for Canadian Kona Owners

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by mcsquared, May 31, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Hello out there,
    I thought it might be useful to start a thread for us Canadian Kona owners going through battery recall R0183.
    I know there are other threads that talk about this but as Canadians, we will be dealing with different laws, different dealerships, and Hyundai Canada among other things that set us apart.
    My Ontario dealership is not so sure that the remedy will be a battery replacement but I don't put much faith in their input as EVs are not a priority for them. I usually know more about what's going on with their electrified vehicles than they do.
    So, I reached out to Hyundai Canada customer relations and expressed my concern with the lack of information regarding this recall, my frustration at having to manage through a reduced range, keeping my car parked outside (to any of our American cousins reading it's not the cold that's a pain during our winters, the scheduled climate controls take care of that, it's having to clean off the snow and ice that build up overnight) and the fact that I could potentially have a ticking time bomb sitting in my driveway, literally - remember the Kona that exploded in Montreal!
    Anyhow, they took my info and said they would get back to me in 2-3 business days. That was last Thursday and no word yet.

Have any of you had better results?

Has anyone received the $250 gift card?

Would anyone know how to start up interest in a class-action lawsuit like the one happening in Korea?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

I have received the $200 gift card. The dealer verifies personally you have set charging to 80% then submits it to Hyundai. You get an email in about 10 days that gives you a link. Follow and select how you want it.
    In the USA, there are Lemon Laws that state the car has to be fixed within 30 days or after multiple tries cannot. Canada has something else like a consumer protection law. Look it up or ask your gov advocate what to do. We felt just as you and are on track for a buy back. We'll see if it comes trough. Good Luck!

4. Alexstd

Alexstd New Member

It’s been five open day’s from my visit to the dealer here in Montreal. Still no 250$. And nobody know when they gonna change my battery. I don’t want to go threw a winter with a limited charge.

5. BC-Doc

BC-Doc Member

Hi mcsquared,

i don’t know how one generates interest in starting up a class action lawsuit here in Canada but I would be interested in learning more and potentially participating. I am unhappy with the range reduction in my Kona and the lack of a solution to the exploding battery defect. I contacted Hyundai Canada last week and was offered no solution. I would like the option of a buy back similar to US terms.

If this blog format allows it, perhaps you could set up a poll for Canadian Kona owners with the defective battery asking if they are interested in joining a class action suit. Poll link could be copied to the Kona groups on Facebook.

6. I would like to have a buy back option as they are offering in the US. I do like the car but having no dates when they will replace the battery doesn't give me confidence. I don't want to be at 80% during winter.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Alexstd

Alexstd New Member

I don’t mind to until late October but not more then that. Not having any dates for the replacement wants me to have the option of a buy back.

9. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

I'm sure mine will be bricked soon or catch fire. Did another 440km trip yesterday, hit a DC charger on the way to top up, stopped at 60%, then approx 70% and at 75% I gave up instead of waiting till 80%. On the way back was a nightmare, hit the same DC charger at 25% charge, started stopping every 5 mins after numerous reconnects , I moved over to other charging station, the same thing happened after 4 stops I gave up as I had enuf to make it home. I called Petro canada, they said the machines were fine and it was my car stopping the charging. I suspect it was because the battery was hot. Just had all the recalls done last week, after I had to demand for them to get done, however, these stops were happening before but not as much as this. I had plans on a few longer trips this summer but I can't depend on this vehicle and spending insane time at a charging station.

10. XtsKonaTrooper

I betya if we put "Kovid Kona" signs on the side of the vehicles all across the country, some media outlet would notice it and get our voices heard and the differing attitudes between the US, Korea and Canada with regards to fixing It in a timely fashion.

11. When I charged at Petro Canada, it did the same thing. I asked the attendant and she said they were having problems with it. It would stop with an error code, something about cordheat. I could smell electricity outside there, too. So something not right with them. Also, didn't go higher than 42 kW. When I charge at the free BC Hydro chargers, no problem.

XtsKonaTrooper likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. XtsKonaTrooper

^^^^^ yeah I'll have to try another fast charger somewhere, to rule it out. When the battery was fairly new, never had disconnects like this and now it's getting more frequent even with other DC chargers. But petro can is the worse.

14. XtsKonaTrooper

Just got off the phone with Hyundai Canada, they have no clue when batteries will be shipped. "They" hope they will be here by the winter.
    Everybody is sorry, like everything during this pandemic.
    Push comes to shove, ill be sorry when I cause BAD PR for Hyundai.

15. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

I'm a bit less optimistic then others and stated this before.. You will get your new battery when you get it.. To fret and call and get different answers is a waste of time on my part. Like the day I got my Kona I just drive it and enjoy the ride. One thing these forums have a tendency to do is to hype everyone up, lots of (I hate to use this) Fake News on here. Just my thoughts

16. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

Sadly what you said mcsquared " I usually know more about what's going on with their electrified vehicles than they do. " is the case for almost all the dealerships here in Sudbury except one dealership. Not just Hyundai has dealers that do not have much interest in EV's.

Dan

17. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

true Well I phoned mine to get the $250 put my name on list 6 weeks ago Heard nothing But I covered my A..

18. I'm not very savvy when it comes to social media platforms. I'll gauge the response here in this forum to a potential lawsuit, look up how many Canadian vehicles are involved in this recall, find out a little more about our laws when it comes to safety recalls then reach out to a law firm or two to get their view on it. I'll keep everyone here updated.

George Davidson likes this.
  19. Last one (class action suit) that involved a vehicle I drove -Leaf , owners that opted in got 50 bucks and a time/mileage limited battery warranty to 70%, lawyers got the rest:rolleyes:

Kirk and navguy12 like this.
  20. These forums give people a voice, a chance to vent frustrations, get other points of view, share helpful insights and yes spread their own agenda. It's up to the reader to take what value they find out of them.
    Personally, when it comes to the safety of me and my family the lack of a clear message from Hyundai Canada is concerning. The car itself is great, I love it and hope we all start to get answers and see action.

21. Yep same here. Meanwhile the original Canadian recall/campaign language stated the $250 payment would be made 20 business days after dealer verification. This has somehow morphed into a couple months or so, and flat out no responses to buyback requests. Yet our American neighbors are pretty much getting their their $200 right away and treated much more receptively otherwise. I appreciate the American market is more significant to Hyundai but I think they forget at one point Canada was their only foothold in North America when they were building their rubbish Ponys, Excels and that they continue to appreciate a significant market share in the Canadian market(8% vs 4% in US). Hyundai if your listening you are really coming off as disrespectful to you Canadian consumers and generally a low class act!

XtsKonaTrooper likes this.
  22. Alexstd

Alexstd New Member

I just got a email back from Tesla for how much they would give for ma kona and they don’t accept the car because of all the recalls…

23. I'm awaiting word on the battery replacement but have a question for the group.

Our maintenance schedule calls for a coolant flush and replacement around the three year mark ( if memory serves). If our batteries are replaced would that reset the clock on that step? Is the coolant and coolant loop an integral part of the battery pack? Would a coolant refresh be part of the replacement?
    It's a pricey maintenance step and it would be nice if it was.

Kirk and navguy12 like this.