EV Chargers at Car Dealerships

Discussion in 'General' started by TotalClarity, May 26, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. TotalClarity

TotalClarity New Member

Has anyone taken a competing brand's EV to a dealership to charge? Did anyone care?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Did that a lot before we moved to Roswell but I was already working here. Had a 200+ mile commute. The only available chargers within 120 miles were 2 L2 chargers at competing dealers.

I asked permission at both and they were very nice. Offering me to wait inside and even offered me coffee. Absolutely no problem.

turtleturtle, Fastnf and electriceddy like this.
  4. I have, but it was at night and the sales floor was closed. A couple of service guys walked by while I was charging - I smiled and said "this is a great help", and they just smiled and said "no problem".

Fastnf likes this.
  5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Yes, my BMW i3-REx and Tesla Model 3. Mostly they don’t care but take a J1772 extension cord. Often the charging spot is holding an ICE inventory car and the extension cord will reach.

Bob Wilson

electriceddy likes this.
  6. Gsbrryprk8

Gsbrryprk8 Member

I’ve charged my Kona a few times on a DCFC for free at a nearby Nissan dealership. Much appreciated and they don’t seem to mind. I don’t abuse the privilege, only using it when urgently needed. 99% of my charging is at home (on wind power).

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. On my trip a couple months ago, I charged my Kona on the way at a Chevy dealership. They were very accommodating and even moved a lot Bolt out of the way, so I could charge. And there was a Hyundai dealership across the street (no free fast charger, though).