I was told today because of recall 200, Hyundai wants buy back our cars

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Mattsburgh, May 11, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. What is it you want to "do"?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Sedgwick told me today that they are following the California Lemon Law formula. Presumably that only applies to CA cars.

Mattsburgh likes this.
  4. I believe CT's formula is the same as CA, so that works for me :)

5. Kirk likes this.
  6. BC-Doc

BC-Doc Member

Here's an update for my fellow Canadian Kona owners.

I just got off the phone with Hyundai Canada Customer Relations (1-888-216-2626).

I explained to the customer service rep that I understood Hyundai USA is offering buy-backs for Kona EV owners and that I am interested in exploring a buy back. The rep stated that Hyundai Canada will not be offering to buy back our vehicles but that they will be replacing the batteries. The rep said they have no information to offer as to when replacement batteries will be arriving or a time frame for replacement date. I explained that my car was now offered only 80% of the range that I had paid for and that this is a problem where I live. The rep countered that I could trade the vehicle in for a new one. I replied that the vehicle's trade in value is now markedly diminished as the car has a defective battery which poses a safety risk-- no one wants to buy my car. He said he will pass my feedback on but there is nothing that can be done. I reiterated that I am unhappy with the diminished range and value of my vehicle and that I would like to explore flipping it for a a 2021 Kona without a defective battery.

I also asked about the vouchers that have been offered but not delivered. His response-- "Soon. Check the junk folder in your email too."

I love my Kona (minus the exploding, capped battery). I am unimpressed with Hyundai Canada's lack of service or a solution. I told the representative that I would consider pursuing recourse through the Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan (https://ic.gc.ca/eic/site/oca-bc.nsf/eng/ca02998.html). He responded that he didn't know anything about Canadian lemon laws but that my concerns would be passed on (with no promise for anyone to contact me).

I foresee a class-action lawsuit coming out of this.

I suspect that Hyundai realizes that Canada is a small market, that they haven't sold many of these defective vehicles, and that they believe they can get away with ignoring defective car owners.

Finally, the rep referred to the problem as a "LG battery defect"-- blame was defected away from Hyundai.

Kirk, Mattsburgh and Chris Alemany like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Canada is actually a large market for Hyundai historically. I believe they sold a similar number of EVs here as they did in the U.S..

Mattsburgh and BC-Doc like this.
  9. I wouldn't be surprised if Hyundai is offering buy backs in the US on 2019 models more to get out of the Lifetime battery warranties than to avoid changing batteries. They will then have LG pay most of the cost on the rest of the battery changes which would be a win win for them.

Mattsburgh likes this.
  10. I just got off the phone about a half an hour ago with almost the same story. The rep was friendly, but had no timelines and no useful information. I was looking on the CMVAP website and on concern I have for the buyback section is that it is limited to 36 months of ownership of 60,000km. I only have 34,000km, but Feb 2022 coming up will be three years of ownership for me so there is a bit of a time crunch regarding buyback if they don’t offer it. Something to think about for you as well…

11. Matt D

Matt D New Member

I just started this process today. I called Hyundai Corporate and was told they couldn't do anything for me until I got service P29 (setting charge to 80%) and so I ran over to the dealer and got that done and called them back. They asked what I wanted and I told them I wanted a car I can trust to not catch fire and be able to charge to 100%. I said I was upset that it has been months and there is no firm timeline for battery replacement, and that I have had to chang driving habits due to not having full range. She asked what I wanted and I floated a bit back and she didn't really say yes or no, but said she would escalate my claim to a claims agent and I would hear back in 7 business day. I'll update as I hear anything.

Also, for note, I'm in NJ.

Mattsburgh likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. It might be the difference in lemon laws. From a quick look online, it seems like a fair amount of work is needed to prepare a Canadian arbitration case, which is binding. Only 30% result in buyouts; most are dismissed or sent back for more repairs. So the process is little used.

In California, all you need is four service visit printouts or 30 days out of use for the same problem to create a presumption of a lemon. Arbitration is available but binding only on the manufacturer. The mandated remedy is repurchase at a defined price.

navguy12 and Mattsburgh like this.
  14. CAMVAP, the Canadian "lemon law" variation is an incredibly intimidating quasi-judicial process that requires exhaustive work on the part of the complainant. It's so judicial that you'd be a fool to represent yourself. In short it's nothing like the 4 strikes you're out American system. It's also sponsored and supported by its members: the auto industry. So that should tell you something about your chances.

15. At least you have one law for the whole country - although in this case it works against you.

We have 51, and they're all summarized in this table. Check your state's details though. For example, in California the requirements create a presumption of a lemon, but you can still make a case if your car falls outside them.

16. Thanks for this update! You may be right.
    I have an update as well. We did get a call back from our dealer today after our.... experience... on Saturday. The experience improved slightly but in the end we were told we should probably call Hyundai Canada.

We did, but it was after 6PM Eastern so I left a reasonably insistent message. We'll call them tomorrow.

Strength in numbers, fellow Canadians. I agree the CAMVAP process looks lengthy and nearing the need for lawyers. Just by their timeline guidelines it would be at least 3 months from the start of that process to an end.

However, if they start getting lots of phone calls to headquarters in Ontario from grumpy and worried Kona owners, their stance might start to change.

My wife is a sticker-maker and is threatening to put little ticking time bomb stickers on the car and send pictures to Hyundai. lol.

Thanks to all.

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

17. For anyone in the US...you may want to consider filing a complaint with the Nat. Highway Traffic Safety Administration. My notification letter from Hyundai had a final paragraph that says "If you believe the dealer or Hyundai has failed or is unable to remedy the defect within a reasonable time, you may submit a complaint." It's been 11 weeks since I got that letter and there is still no remedy in sight. I spoke with my dealer yesterday and they hadn't heard anything at all. They said they had bunch of customers just like me in Kona Electrics wanting information. I think it's time to complain to someone who can put pressure on Hyundai that we can't. The NHTSA number is 888-327-4236. I called yesterday and the people I spoke with were good. Don't be mad at them...they're literally working to help get a fix underway.

I also opened a case with Hyundai yesterday to investigate a buy-back. I love my little Kona but I can't live with the range reduction. I need every bit of it during winter months. The range is (was) the single most important factor in my decision to purchased the Kona.

18. SeanH

SeanH Active Member

I called yesterday to start the buyback process. Waited on hold for about 10 minutes.
    My dealership didn't update Hyundai that they completed P29, but the person on the phone accepted me saying I have the paperwork to show they did (which I do... plus Bluelink had already done it). (Of course this dealership didn't have in their own system that they had already completed the other 4 recalls... so go figure).

I didn't have to spend more than one sentence justifying my request. I said the reduced range is a problem for me and there is no date for a fix. We'll see if the case worker requires any more.
    I'm keeping a doc with timeline and I'll update when I get to the next step.

Mattsburgh and Chris Alemany like this.
  19. I'm normally a big fan of that approach, and have suggested it for other issues, like unnecessary automatic emergency braking. But:
    In this case, that's all you need to do to get started.

At first I sneered at advice to open a case. I never got useful information when asking questions of Hyundai Customer Care. They had no interest in investigating my documentation of the 12v battery problem that affects multiple Kona and other Hyundai/Kia EV owners.

But now that their attention is on batteries, they have a process in place for U.S. owners, which happens to start with opening a case. It grinds through for a month or more, and apparently leads to a buyback.

It's too bad that Hyundai Customer Care isn't generally useful for customers, but for this problem it suits their purpose so that's where to start.

If you also want to strike a blow, file with the NHTSA and add to Hyundai's poor statistics. You can do it online. But it's not the path to a buyback.

MarshaH likes this.
  20. NRH

NRH Active Member

What does everyone think about when to initiate a buyback? I think I'd like to replace our 2019 Kona with the Ioniq 5, and I've pre-registered for one (just now). It claims to be due out by the Fall. Thinking of waiting a couple months to initiate a buyback.

I live in a state where the Lemon Law mileage depreciation is capped at 10% of purchase price, so in theory my buyback offer should be the same today as it is in 3 months and another 5,000 miles.

Is anyone else making these kind of calculations?

Kirk and Mattsburgh like this.
  21. Fascinating question. That might work. OTOH it's possible that by the fall, batteries will become available and you'll wind up with a repaired high mileage 2019 car. And the Ioniq 5 might be delayed because of the chip shortage.

If you grab the buyout now, you can exchange a high mileage 2019 for a new 2021 or more likely 2022, which would be a valuable trade-in on the Ioniq. You'll pocket the $7500 federal tax credit on the new car, but maybe pay out some of that to a dealer who won't deal yet on the 2022s. Then wait to see what happens with the Ioniq 5. You might drive it and decide it's not for you.

If you go that way, you'll get $15,000 in federal tax credits on the new Kona now and the Ioniq 5 if you buy it later. If you wait and go straight to the Ioniq, you only get $7500.

Mattsburgh likes this.
  22. SeanH

SeanH Active Member

It is a really good question. As I noted above, most of the things I was going to replace my Kona with don't come out until at least Q4, if not later. Also, I am about to stop WFH and go back to the office. So I may have some awkwardness ahead where I need to figure out a car for a few months (the wife vetoed the e-bike for commuting).
    That said, I wasn't sure exactly how long this was going to take, or if Hyundai was going to change their mind or formula (which, for me, is quite good now). So I'm at least going to get to the point of getting an offer from them.

Mattsburgh likes this.
  23. I asked Sedgwick what would happen if I got an offer and wanted to delay it. They said I'd pretty much have to turn the car in within a couple of weeks.

The question is, if Hyundai issues an offer that fills all the lemon law requirements for your state, and you don't take it, does that let them off the hook and put you back in the queue for a new battery?

That's probably a question for a lemon law attorney (google "lemon law" and you'll get a hundred of them) and may vary from state to state.

Mattsburgh likes this.