The SE back seat is well done

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by GvilleGuy, May 19, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

As I type I am taking my first ride in the back seat of my SE. I am 5’ 9” and my wife is in front of me. She is 5’ 2’, so we are very compatible for leg room with the way the seat is set. I would say that around 5’10” might be the comfort limit back here.

The moonroof helps it feel roomy, and the seat is very comfortable for my height. The four speakers within a few feet of my head sound good. The cup holders are well placed and have a solid design.

BE9BFDE8-8613-43F0-BAA8-9F49F8E0E76A.jpeg

3C5ECCFF-7012-468B-9660-B1FA77ACD35E.jpeg

BD291C58-7653-489A-B284-5E171BC205BE.jpeg

5494B7EA-F1B8-4895-83E8-2A09784D3BB1.jpeg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I made a point of riding in the rear seat on our SE's second day in the family--after my wife managed to pry my clutching, reluctant fingers off the steering wheel.

One of the early reviewers of the MINI Cooper SE claimed there was only one cupholder that the two rear-seat occupants would have to share. Had that reviewer taken more than a 2-second look at the luxurious accommodations back there he would have seen the other 2 cup holders.

Todd Swift and GvilleGuy like this.
  4. Todd Swift

Todd Swift New Member

I agree nearly 100% with GvilleGuy on the back seat. My wife and I are also a 5’ 9”/ 5’ 2’ couple. I do not fit in the rear with a 5'10" driver. I also think it's comfortable for an 'appropriately sized' crew.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  5. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

Once you're in, I agree it's surprisingly nice. I'm over 6 feet. Ankle room is limited, but it was nice to find that the backseats are quite usable in a pinch.

GvilleGuy and Texas22Step like this.
  6. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

At age 72, getting in (and especially out) can be a challenge, however. I think I will continue to let the back seat be the spot for grandkids and our pet dog, but it is indeed nice to know it is there and functional for many. (Frankly, I prefer to drive my MINI anyway.)

polyphonic and GvilleGuy like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. vader

vader Well-Known Member

I've had two 6 foot+ larger lads sat in the back (on the way to the pub). I had to move my seat slightly forward, but they claimed it was quite comfortable in the back. For shorter people - ie. my entire family (I am the tallest at a whopping 5'8) - there is ample room. I wouldn't want to sit in the back on a road trip, however for normal round town jaunts there is more than enough space. The only complaint I get is that there isn't much lateral support and fast cornering generates some fun times in the back ;)

Texas22Step, GvilleGuy and polyphonic like this.
  9. TittaPDX

TittaPDX Member

So you’re saying I shouldn’t ask my 6’10 father to sit in the back when I drive to see him on the Oregon Coast (Manzanita) today? He & my stepmom have a MINI of their own…one of the 1st ones when they started selling to the US in 2003…he fits just fine in the front seat. This will be my first time pushing the range and first time charging anywhere than at home (thanks, COVID).

GvilleGuy likes this.
  10. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I find if you move the front seat forward a bit there's actually adequate legroom in the back. And since the rear seats are buckets the headroom is good too. Someone who's 6'10" might have problems with knees if the front seat is tilted back too far.

I'm 6'4" and fit comfortably, albeit with little room to move around. But I'm never back there since I'm always the one driving my SE :).

GvilleGuy likes this.
  11. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

I'm 5'7", and I drive with the seat all the way back. It practically touches the rear seat. I don't understand how you guys over 6' can move forward enough to fit someone almost 7' behind you. How are your knees not in your chest?

GvilleGuy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

Maybe you're all legs? My wife is 8" shorter than me but we have the same length torso.

14. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I normally drive with my seat all the way back, but I can move forward a couple of steps and still drive fairly comfortably with somewhat bent knees.

15. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

LOL, sorry, couldn't resist.

I like to sit as low as possible, so my legs are more or less straight out. It helps me feel connected to the car and the road. If you like to sit with your legs closer to 90 degrees than 180, then that would explain having more room behind you.

Carsten Haase and GvilleGuy like this.
  16. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

I was going to say what GetOffYourGas said. Raising the seat height can help with allowing more space behind you. I tend to keep the seat pretty low, since I don't like the rear view mirror blocking my forward view when the seat is higher.