Honda and Toyota really resisting EV's...why?

Discussion in 'General' started by miatadan, May 13, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Then everyone is happy. Like chastity, an ICE car is its own reward and punishment.

Bob Wilson

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

It's pretty well known. Giving price parity demand for EVs is equal too ICE vehicle demand.

4. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

I used to have similar thoughts. The great thing for consumers is the switch to EV will greatly increase the reliability of the vehicle fleet as a whole.

What the Japanese manufacturers need to understand is they may well lose their reliability advantage.

5. Recoil45

Recoil45 Active Member

Consumer reports disagrees with you and rates Teslas relatability as rather shitty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. bwilson4web

When and where?

Bob Wilson

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

Curious in that as well

9. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

These aren't really reliability issues.

"Model 3 owners in our spring survey sample reported some body hardware and in-car electronics problems, such as the screen freezing, which we have seen with other Tesla models. The latest survey data also shows complaints about paint and trim issues. In addition, some members reported that the Model 3’s sole display screen acted strangely."

There's fvck all complaint about powertrain.

10. bwilson4web

Thanks!

Taking one quote:

But, in the end, people still love their Teslas. Consumer Reports’ data shows that most Tesla models earn a five out of five owner satisfaction rating. Even the Tesla Model Y, which earned a one out of five predicted reliability rating, earned a five out of five predicted owner satisfaction rating. 91% of owners even said they’d buy the vehicle again.

That’s not all that shocking, however. Take a closer look at each model’s owner satisfaction scores, and it’s easy to see why owners love their Teslas so much. Each vehicle earned extremely high marks in road tests. Comfort seems to be a winning category for Tesla too. And style? Well, according to Tesla owners, the brand has got that covered.

Bob Wilson

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. Recoil45

Recoil45 Active Member

Fanboy syndrome. I spend about 3k a year in fuel, rebuild my out drive every 80 hours, pop a 18k engine about every three years. Yet, it's absolutely awesome.

IMO everyone should own an offshore 100mph v-hull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 23, 2021
  13. bwilson4web

Facts and data does lead to becoming a fact-based, advocate.

Bob Wilson

14. Roy2001

Roy2001 Member

Because they both bet on fuel cell. In addition, Toyota has the best hybrid technology. With government incentive and promotion, there is no way EV can compete.

15. turtleturtle

turtleturtle Active Member

And I for one would still buy one of their fuel cell vehicles. The technology is not going to make it anytime soon, but using the most abundant element in the universe seems like a good bet when finding sustainable fuels (that only produce water vapor).

16. bwilson4web

It cost more energy to manufacture hydrogen than it contains. Better to use that energy directly such as a BEV.

Bob Wilson

Clamps likes this.
  17. I’ve been really surprised about Honda and Toyota dragging their feet in regards to EV’s. I would in particular like to see what Honda could come up with.

In regards to Tesla it’s still my favorite EV regardless of its build issues. The only reason I didn’t buy one is they didn’t have a model design/platform that appealed to me.

18. Early on I was really excited about hydrogen until I started learning of production issues like listed above. Then I completely put it aside as EV’s slowly became as good as traditional ICE vehicles.

19. Roy2001

Roy2001 Member

That is not true!

If you use electricity to process water to get H2, yes what you said is true. But, for liquid H2 used as fuel or for industrial purpose, no one ever use that method! That way was only used in labs to prove it works.

20. Roy2001

Roy2001 Member

Traditional car makers must transform themselves, Toyota/Honda are just reluctant to do so. They have to invest in battery production and battery pack management, emphasize on auto driving. They have to give up their strengths on engines, transmissions, system integration, and management of complex parts inventory etc.

If they don't transform, at best they are the Foxcoon of auto industry. EV's would be smart phones with 2 sofa and 4 wheels. Of course the battery and shell are much larger. Many companies would provide battery pack solutions (hardware and software), as well the automatic driving solution; auto "makers" design the car based on available parts and "Foxcoons" help them to make them.

21. I don't think Consumer Reports views "reliability" as power train only. They look at the entire car and how it performs as a whole. In that 2020 article the Teslas were ranked 23rd out of 30 brands for reliability (overall). That's not something Tesla wants to talk about. And when reading through the other forums on this site it is surprising how many people who formerly owned a Tesla have now switched to some other brand.

22. bwilson4web

Sounds like a good poll question.

Bob Wilson