Towing with a Kona EV

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Yonno, May 5, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Yonno

Yonno New Member

I am considering a Kona EV (2021 or 2022) and am curious about real-world towing experience. I've read that the towing capacity is 2800 lbs. for this vehicle. I have a need 2x per year to tow my 17' boat about 20 mi.. Would the Kona be able to do this?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. As far as I know the Kona EV previous model year EVs had no towing rated capacity in North America and in general there is no endorsement for such activity from Hyundai. I know of at least one fellow on this forum that has towed a limited range of around 1000 pounds or so. I would be really surprised the Kona EV can safely tow 2800 lbs for any significant distance but I would be happy to be proven wrong :) Maybe its a new model rating, if so cool.

Last edited: May 5, 2021
    Mattsburgh likes this.
  4. NRH

NRH Active Member

Well researched article! I'd approach towing with a Kona the same way I would with any small car - the biggest concern is not "Can I pull it"; rather the question should be "Can I stop it?"

I'd guess that pulling a very light weight kayak trailer would be no concern (these are a few hundred pounds). Pulling anything closer to 1000#, like a small teardrop camper, I'd consider trailer brakes.

A 17-foot boat could be anywhere from 1500# for a bare skiff with a small motor, to 2,500# for a bowrider and trailer. Those seem like the top-end for what I'd want to tow with any compact car, and, I'd want brakes and a controller to keep it under control.

5. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

I don't know why Hyundai did not rate it for towing. First, I would also consider the safety of pulling a trailer with a front wheel drive vehicle. This is not the safest configuration especially when decelerating down hill with a trailer, even a light one. You are much more likely to jackknife. With most breaking and and all regen done by the front wheels on the Kona, little resistance is on the rear wheels nearest the trailer. This is especially important on poorly surfaced roads or slippery roads.
    If you do decide to tow, one solution I have seen is trailer hitch breaks. When the vehicle slows the trailer pushes a hydraulic piston at the hitch, applying the trailer brakes. This would also eliminate any electrical connection to the vehicle.
    Finally, anytime you tow with a vehicle that is not rated for towing, you risk voiding your warrantee. Consider if something in the drive train failed on your Kona. Would you remove the hitch and claim you never towed? Obviously this car is not designed for towing.

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Recoil45

Recoil45 Active Member

^
    Good advice.

Bottoming the rear suspension is the next biggest safety issue. If you plan to tow anything with significant tongue consider adding a sumo spring or airbag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

There is a guy with a Kia Niro Electric (same care essentially as the Kona) who is towing a race car with his eNiro.. However, he upgraded the rear suspension.. Without such upgrade, it would be quite risky to tow anything more than like 1000 lbs with the Kona. I personally wouldn't want to risk my warranty on the car. Anyways, I have a Tesla Model Y on order (ordered 4 weeks ago and still no VIN) which is rated for towing and can easily tow up to 3500 lbs.. This will allow me to get rid of our last gasoline powered vehicle, our old 2008 Grand Caravan which I only use for local towing 3 - 4 times per year (mostly hauling our 2000 lbs (gross weight) trailer to the landfill). While I'll probably only get $1000 for the car, it will save me $700 annually on insurance.. The Tesla will likely be much higher when it comes to insurance... so it'll help with my expenses once the Dodge is removed..

GeorgeS likes this.
  9. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

The new vw Id4 can tow that much in awd model.

10. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

We just bought a Model Y. Hope you ordered it with... a hitch. It can tow 3500 lbs. Since it is an AWD it should be somewhat safer than the Kona. Best tow with a vehicle rated to tow. The insurance is higher but a bit of advice. Don't hesitate shopping around for insurance. We thought we had a good policy and found out that they were charging a premium for a Tesla. Also found out several Ins. Companies won't even insure Teslas. Finally settled on Allstate. Unlike Hyundai, Tesla has no dealerships and you need to take them to the service centers.

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I certainly did order with the hitch.. White with white seats and hitch.. I will certainly shop for insurance..

13. I would say no. The Australian example towed 1980lbs. I feel comfortable pulling up to 1750lbs (800kg) total with my trailer. So far I've had 1200lbs. It had no trouble with it but range does suffer.

That said if you do get a Kona. I wrote up a blog for installing a hitch and lights.
    https://www.chrisalemany.ca/2020/06/14/installing-a-hitch-and-wiring-harness-into-a-2019-hyundai-kona-electric/

Last edited: May 17, 2021
  14. Gsbrryprk8

Gsbrryprk8 Member

I have no experience with towing but my initial thought is not to.

The Kona’s front wheel drive can lead to tire spin when lurching forward from a stop. This is easily manageable, but extra weight at the rear may aggravate this tendency.

Also, the stock tires are designed for high fuel economy but struggle with traction when wet. If you did this you should strongly consider swapping out for a better set. (Or maybe lowering the pressure while towing might help?)

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Chris Alemany likes this.
  15. Gsbrryprk8

Gsbrryprk8 Member

I have no experience with towing but my initial thought is not to.

The Kona’s front wheel drive can lead to tire spin when lurching forward from a stop. This is easily manageable, but extra weight at the rear may aggravate this tendency.

Also, the stock tires are designed for high fuel economy but struggle with traction when wet. If you did this you should strongly consider swapping out for a better set. (Or maybe lowering the pressure while towing might help?)

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

16. If one could locate a '74 VW Gooseneck trailer :
    :)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021