I was told today because of recall 200, Hyundai wants buy back our cars

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Mattsburgh, May 11, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

I take the opposite opinion here. The battery replacement is a blessing to me. My Kona is the best car I have ever had and I have had a few. Except for the pain in the *** taking it in for recalls my car has run like a charm. To me the battery replacement is a bonus. It will be like a new car to me. Taking a buy back will be the worse thing one can do. If they say offered you a new Kona instead then that is different. So just think of the loss you will take on a low ball buy back and you still we have to find another car.

If you look at it in terms financially then your loss will be great. So I say take the new battery and consider it as a new car. The battery is the main component so you now have a new car. Your resale value should be higher then a regular 2019 or 2020 Kona . So I say take the new battery and run...

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. The Kona serves my needs perfectly and is a joy to drive. Best car I ever owned from a driving experience perspective. When Hyundai customer service told me they will not be replacing the battery, my heart sank. So, what's our options? Right now I only see two: (1) Live with the 80% max charge and accept a significant hit to the car's value, or (2) buy back. I'd be willing to consider a swap with a 2021 model, but I don't think that option is on the table.

Regarding Tesla, do you plan on installing a Tesla-specific charger at home, or will you continue to use your portable J1772 charger with the Tesla adapter?

4. SeanH

SeanH Active Member

Can you guys post which number you called?

I assume you got this letter because of your call? How much haranguing did you have to do?

Konasu and MarshaH like this.
  5. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I'll use the J1772 with the Tesla provided J1772 adapter.. No reason to get the Tesla charger, especially because I only charge a few times per year at home. I mostly charge on free 50kw fast chargers or at free Level 2 chargers...

6. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

Jamis are you sure you aren't getting a new battery Have you entered your vin on the Hyundai website

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Will you still be able to charge at the free 50kW chargers? I thought Tesla adapter was J1772 only and not CCS.

9. I did and my car is affected by Recall 200. However, I think Hyundai is making the business decision not to replace batteries in the US (at least not for the 2019s). They just haven’t publicly communicated it yet, but will acknowledge that fact if you call and ask them.

Mattsburgh likes this.
  10. FloridaSun

I can charge the Tesla on Chademo.. Already bought the Chademo adapter. Most of the free 50kw chargers here have a Chademo Port.. I was actually lucky that I got the Chademo adapter before the car.. It's sold out right now and people on Ebay are charging hundreds of $$ more than the price on the Tesla website..

20210427_160940.jpg

11. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

Well you know the rumors have been flying so I wouldn't believe much until you get an official notice I got mine here in Canada

Clamps likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I assume this is more than a rumor considering Customer Service at Hyundai corporate told me flat out they will not be replacing my battery.

Christian Reading and Mattsburgh like this.
  14. FloridaSun

Hmmmm.. they offered lifetime warranty on the battery.. They either have to compensate you appropriately, buy back the car or replace the battery.. They admitted that the batteries have a defect. So, their legal options are limited..

1st-KonaEV-in-FL and Mattsburgh like this.
  15. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

I contacted Hyundai Canada and here is what they replied:
    "Hyundai Canada is working closely with the dealerships to get a fix as soon as possible. At this moment we ask that you stay connected with your dealership for further assistance with the Recalls as they will be able to provide you with any updates."
    So they still plan to do the battery replacements in Canada, I guess.

16. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

I call bogus on dealing with the dealer as they say.
    I spoke with my service guy yesterday and I know more about this stuff then him. He goes to him , yeah Hyundai wants us to buy a $10,000 lift to take the battery out and he can't see why they just can't a few lifts in the garage bay now. They are also dragging their heels to do the software updates in the mean time.
    This stuff keeps up ill be publicly bringing them bad pr and let's see how fast they react then. I'm not keen when a place doesn't have a clue what's going on but if I went in to buy a brand new car, they would be right on top of that and phoning me every 5mins. Like any business , once they get your money, they don't gaf and here in Canada getting a buyback is almost non existent and they know that.

navguy12 and KonaTom like this.
  17. None. They want to buy the car back, that was their preference.

XtsKonaTrooper likes this.
  18. XtsKonaTrooper

Let us know, if they lowball ya.

19. Oh I absolutely will let you know either way. I strongly suspect the offer will be quite good and in fact I did see a post on FB from someone who has completed the process and sold his car back. He stated: "you will get all your money back minus mileage usage. The process is slow. It took 10 weeks since Hyundai approved the buy back. I have to call them like every week to push them about my case."

He did not say what the mileage deduction was and I asked and he avoided answering by just saying look at the state's lemon law and that is the calculation they use, supposedly.

20. I completely agree with you. I will hear what they have to say as far as buyback but I am not expecting much. I totally agree that either the battery replacement or full warranty replacement of the car are both far superior options. The former option definitely seems to be on the table (and if it gets pulled Hyundai will hear from me) and I am going to pursue the latter once I know more details on the situation. I'm going to make an appointment with our dealer next week for a chat. :)

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    XtsKonaTrooper likes this.
  21. XtsKonaTrooper

I agree completely, waiting 10 weeks and then having to find another electric vehicle is another task. If that's the case, I might just sink more in debt by having to pay more money and just go buy a Tesla and Hyundai can go screw themselves. In my lifetime 80% of my vehicles have been Hyundai but I don't see the customer loyalty factor kicking in here. I'm just glad I got an ice convertible, so if I have to go without an electric till I get another one cuz that will not be an overnight task.
    My problem is , they've known about this for awhile and are dragging their heels in order to solve the issue.

MarshaH likes this.
  22. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

Just FYI, here is the Lemon Law calculation used in New Jersey, in case anyone is interested. Your state may be different.
    upload_2021-5-15_7-0-2.png

23. Your post made me wonder about Canadian Lemon Laws, which we do not have, but we do have the CAMVAP Arbitration process which I assume is what is being referred to in the Hyundai warranty booklet when they talk about no cost arbitration if an agreement can't be made (and you don't want to take them to court). So there is good news and bad news.

Bad news: It looks like unless you can convince Hyundai Canada on its own to provide you a warranty replacement of the car, that option is not on the table for Canadians through this arbitration process. The largest remedy is buyback.

Good news: They do provide a buyback calculator https://www.camvap.ca/online-buyback-calculator/~english which might be handy for us to use to at least gauge the offers from our dealers/Hyundai Canada. A quick punch in of numbers for my 2019 Preffered came to $40,000. I wasn't sure if I should include the fed/prov rebates or not.

I continue to lean toward battery replacement as the better value if it fixes the problem and restores full charge.

navguy12 and XtsKonaTrooper like this.