New MINI App

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Puppethead, Dec 4, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

Lol

6 months later....

insightman likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. quietlyspinach

quietlyspinach Active Member

I too just did this!

GvilleGuy likes this.
  4. quietlyspinach

Has anyone gotten their notifications to work on either the new or old app for iPhone? I've enabled notifications in the app's own settings and enabled notifications at the iOS level in system settings, but I'm still not getting anything. Specifically, I'd like to know when charging stops.

5. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

Nothing here since day one. I, too, have enabled all notifications in the app settings as well as IOS notifications.

6. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I've never heard anyone mention that the app (old or new) sends notifications, so I never expected to see any.

AndGuz and quietlyspinach like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. quietlyspinach

Good to know. I'm submitting another Feedback bug report now! :) Along with the please add eDRIVE to the new app again!

AndGuz and MichaelC like this.
  9. vader

vader Well-Known Member

I get notifications from the new app (android phone), however they aren't overly useful. "Charging started at xx:yy" isn't all that useful when you aren't using timed charging. Hopefully you remember that you just plugged it in. I am probably being a bit cruel - it can be quite useful to have an easily accessibly log of when you started charging. At about 7% per hour for my level 1 (2.4kW) charger, I can work out when things will be charged without going into the app. I actually got an email yesterday saying that the new MINI app is available :) . Better late than never I suppose......

10. GvilleGuy

I just got home from a drive, plugged the car in, and a notification from the Mini app popped up on my iPhone! That is the first time that has happened.

F14Scott and quietlyspinach like this.
  11. GvilleGuy

Perhaps there was an app update. My wife and I are both getting notifications now.

41F9F172-4FCF-4BE0-9754-A5E49206E62C.png

AndGuz, quietlyspinach and MiniSER like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Puppethead

Whoa me too!

IMG_3660.PNG
    (Apple Watch)

14. GvilleGuy

Cool on your Apple Watch. The Mini app does not show available on mine. But my watch is several generations back. I looked in the FAQ on the Mini app itself - "Can I use the MINI App with smart watches?" - the answer: "No."

15. Puppethead

I assume that refers to no watch app to install on the watch itself. My watch is mirroring the notifications from the iPhone. Here's the screenshot of the same notification on my iPhone:

IMG_3659.PNG

AndGuz, GvilleGuy and quietlyspinach like this.
  16. quietlyspinach

MINI did not write an Apple Watch specific app, so it's true you can't make the app DO anything from the watch. However, every notification is compatible with the watch so if you can get notifications on your iPhone your watch will show you. That's all I expect from my watch anyway and MINI App - mostly I wanted to know when my car has finished charging, or if it has gotten interrupted for some reason so I can go back and fix whatever the issue is.

EDIT: Yes, exactly what Puppethead said above!

AndGuz and GvilleGuy like this.
  17. quietlyspinach

I love that background image! What is it?

18. Puppethead

It's "The Grand Tour" (Experience the charm of gravity assists!) from NASA JPL Space Tourism Posters. But it looks like the download links are broken, try space.com as an alternate.

[​IMG]

19. Done. I dislike that the new app does't have the tracking.

20. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

When an upgrade is really a downgrade feature-wise, perhaps the answer is to follow the money. The code to accomplish the tracking already existed, so the feature-deletion wasn't a matter of reducing development costs. Could the cost of communications be a factor? Less data would potentially reduce communication costs. The bean-counters asked, "How many fewer MINI Coopers will we sell if we don't continue to track and communicate data that so few owners care about?" Of course, none of those bean-counters are members of this forum.

F14Scott and Carsten Haase like this.
  21. Puppethead

Amount of data could be a possible factor, but the new app seems to use more with its notifications about charging status.

It could be a time-boxing issue, where they couldn't get the feature working properly for the release schedule. They also decided to redo the app in some "cross-platform" way instead of being a native app, so maybe they ran into some limitations they can't solve. Cross-platform development is one of those ideas that theoretically makes it easier for the developers but the users always, always suffer.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  22. GvilleGuy

Based on how far their SALES web sites lag behind when the cars actually go on sale, I would not be surprised to see some of the missing features make their way through the pipeline, eventually.

Carsten Haase and Lainey like this.
  23. MiniJimmy

MiniJimmy Member

I noticed that there is an update on the Android app this morning. now you can remotely control the horn and check apps connected. Still no charging history or eDrive info though...at least not that I can find. Small steps I guess.

F14Scott likes this.