Pipeline hack

Discussion in 'General' started by Curtis Muhlestein, May 12, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

Will the pipeline hack cause people to rethink EVs?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  1. Curtis Muhlestein

Curtis Muhlestein New Member

Will the pipeline hack cause people to rethink EVs?

DaleL likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

A little bit maybe, but the only thing that is going to move the needle much is a government mandate.

4. DaleL

DaleL Active Member

Florida gets most of its gasoline by coastal tankers from Texas. Never-the-less, here in NE Florida there is panic at the pump. My wife went out to do a little shopping this morning. She said there was panic, including hurricane style buying at the grocery store and huge lines at the gasoline stations. She said to me: "Don't EVER sell your Clarity!"

Experts: No gas shortage in Florida, don't hoard at the pump | firstcoastnews.com
    Panic buying: Florida governor declares state of emergency over gasoline supply (msn.com)

We plan on driving my Clarity to one of our favorite restaurants in St. Augustine Beach later for lunch/dinner. No gasoline will be needed or used.

5. DucRider

DucRider Well-Known Member

The electric grid is just as vulnerable (maybe more so).

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Regionally, perhaps. The difference with electricity, though, is there are local ways to produce it: generators, solar, wind turbines, etc. It's nearly impossible for someone to refine their own gasoline. That's why the Mad Max movies are fights over fuel and not electricity :D.

8. ENirogus

ENirogus Active Member

If the electric grid is down for more than a few days, where are you driving to? Work? No electricity there, no work there. My street is bad enough we all have generators, so I doubt I would ever be truly out of electricity. No one is cheering a pipeline hack, but the anti ev crowd sure made hay when they shut off the electricity in CA due to wildfires. 'What will you do to charge your EV now?'

9. Recoil45

Recoil45 Active Member

Not for anyone with an IQ over 40.

The electric grid could easily be the next hack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Recoil45

Recoil45 Active Member

Ever hear of the easy coast blackout?

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. ENirogus

ENirogus Active Member

First, which Northeast blackout?
    Second, most places had power back in 12 to 24 hours in most cases.

Most gas stations don't have generators, so it really doesn't matter

13. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

There has been a couple of them (1965 and 2003). However, most folks had their power restored much sooner than the great Texas outage.

I'm not sure if the folks in the Northeast where price gouged, but many Texans experienced it.

None of the outages where due to a hacker that I'm aware of. More likely they where all due to a lack of infrastructure investment.

Last edited: May 18, 2021
  14. Recoil45

Recoil45 Active Member

I was down for almost 3 days in the 2003 outage. It impacted 45 million people. Luckily I had a LP powered generator.