Tronity app

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by MiniJimmy, May 13, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. MiniJimmy

MiniJimmy Member

I have been experimenting using different apps to record battery consumption and charging. I had mixed experience with Tronity. It's recording my trips accurately (directly from the car without any additional installation, such as an OBD device. However, the recording of charging was a bit spotty. It sometimes registers, sometimes not. When it does though, it's very handy. There are some other nice features as well.
    I am putting a referral link here for those of you, who would like to give it a try. This should give you a 4 week trial period and it will be great to hear your experience!

https://app.tronity.io/signup/00RUSFBCw

GvilleGuy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

I have been trying TRONITY for a couple months now. I agree that when it works, it can give you some very interesting data--but it isn't super reliable. Basically, TRONITY piggy-backs on your MINI app credentials to pull data from BMW/MINI's cloud. It exposes more data than the MINI app does, and logs it so you can review the history.

I think the transition from the old MINI Connected app to the new MINI App may have involved some back-end changes, too, which has caused some hiccups with TRONITY. Their customer support has been pretty responsive, in my experience. (Seems like it's only Sebastian doing support, but he's been great so far.)

It may be a limitation of how BMW/MINI logs data from the car, but TRONITY seems to rely on you "waking the car up" by opening the driver's door in order to detect some changes. For example, I unplugged my EVSE a couple hours before my first trip yesterday. TRONITY correctly logged the charging session starting, the charging current delivered, and the sate of charge over time, but did not log an "unplug" event until I opened the driver's door to drive somewhere.

Note that they offer a free two week trial period. After that, you must pay to continue using the service: https://www.tronity.io/pricing?lang=en

GvilleGuy and MiniJimmy like this.
  4. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

I performed a quick test tonight, and it looks like unlocking the car with the key fob before unplugging it helped TRONITY detect that event. I didn't have to open the door.

5. MiniJimmy

MiniJimmy Member

That's good to know! Thanks! I'll give that a try next time I charge my car.

MichaelC likes this.