Next Gen Mini EV convertible

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by electriceddy, May 11, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. To remove this ad click here.

2. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Wow, this is an interesting tidbit from the article: "Last year, one in five Mini sold was a convertible." (in Germany, apparently)

3. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

Sure wish this was available now...

Dan

bldxyz likes this.
  4. It will be interesting for sure. I heard the weight of EVs is a little bit a problem for convertible as the roll bars need to support the extra weight. Porsche Boxster will have a concept soon.

5. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

Excellent! I cannot wait!

Actually, I'm a little glad that it will take a few years. I just bought the SE, but would really want to upgrade to the convertible. I really shouldn't buy another Mini so soon, but 4 more years? Hmm...

I keep hearing this claim, but I think it is overblown. Yes, there is more weight, but there is not so much extra weight that you couldn't engineer appropriate roll protection.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Puppethead

The original Tesla Roadster was a convertible, so it can be done.

GetOffYourGas and GvilleGuy like this.
  8. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Well, that converted Lotus had a roof panel that could be removed, but it was not a true drop-top convertible like MINI's. Of course the photo of the yellow convertible above is an ICE MINI (red S on the ICE grille). Does the 2025 prediction mean that the current LCI will have to last until then? That will give BMW/MINI plenty of time to design the next-gen platform to include a safe convertible.

Hopefully, battery technology will reduce the weight of that component to make it easier to handle roll-over crashes. Only improved battery technology can preserve the fun we're having with our current MINI Cooper SEs. I can't imagine a MINI Cooper SE with 110-mile EPA range will be a viable product in 2025, but I sure don't want to drive a 2-ton, 250-mile MINI Cooper. I remain skeptical that MINI will ever be able to reduce the size of the current MINI Cooper due to the demand for ever-increasing EV range.

9. Puppethead

MINI does have this (non-electric) design on the shelf...

[​IMG]

I personally feel the consumer demand for longer range will diminish as the charging infrastructure is built out. ICE cars (certain models) have basically standardized around 12-15 gallon fuel tanks, I expect BEVs will eventually converge around a standard range, depending on class. Based on my personal experience I think MINI hit the "urban" mark just about perfectly, so I'm not sure longer range is that important. Many apparently agree since MINI can't make them fast enough to meet demand.

Japo, miatadan, GetOffYourGas and 3 others like this.
  10. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

My husband may hate me... that would be a dream to own!

GvilleGuy likes this.
  11. To remove this ad click here.

12. Tifosi

Tifosi Active Member

I will order one 100%

13. Japo

Japo New Member

14. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I think they should have Photoshopped in an SE grille after they took the trouble to insert the enormous MINI-E logo (which now appears just once on the 2022 models). I'm still unclear if the press-info said they're going to invest in re-engineering the F-57 to handle a roll-over crash while carrying a 400-lb battery pack underneath. Or will the SE convertible look nothing like the press photo of the yellow ICE-powered F-57 because it will be from the next generation? I assume the latter and wonder how much latter it will be before the SE convertible is a reality. Will it beat Porsche's electric Boxster to market?