Intermittent Shudder at part Throttle normal?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by ColdCase, May 12, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

I test drove a new 2022 today and wanted to run this by you guys. I noticed an intermittent shudder with a constant touch on the throttle but only between 40-42 mph. Perhaps it was changing modes and wasn’t doing it smoothly? It felt like an out of balance tire but just for 1-2 seconds. Is this just a characteristic of the beast, or something to watch out for?

I've read a bunch of Sig+ vs Iconic discussions, but I’m probably end up looking for or ordering a white silver, black roof, Iconic model with scissor wheels, and roof rails. Besides style, any difference between the Scissor 2-tone wheels vs the Rail Spoke 2-tone? Its been mentioned here before, but I still don’t see weights posted for the Scissor, but then I may have missed it.

The test ride was in a grey Signature Plus, Tentacle spoke silver wheels, black roof with the optional cross punch leather seats. A sharp Mini. What a sweet vehicle, nice seats, almost bought it. So quiet, I almost got a speeding ticket. :) I also took a close look at an Electric Connection and an Enigmatic Black. I like the Electric’s blue color but dunno about the stripes and wheels, but that is just me. The Enigmatic Black is a nice color, especially in the sun where the blue shows through, but just a little dark for the spouse.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

That seems abnormal to me. I have not experienced any shudder at any speed.

The SE shouldn't "change modes" on its own, especially while underway. Do you mean that you were changing the driving mode (e.g. from "Mid" to "Sport")? If you change the driving mode, that also shouldn't cause a shudder--unless you're in a low-traction situation with the traction control disabled or set to Dynamic Traction Control mode, in which case there could be some wheel hop.

Lainey and GvilleGuy like this.
  4. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

By mode I was meaning that perhaps i was holding the throttle at the edge of the decel/coast/accel point and it wasn't handling the transition smoothly when the road speed was 40-42 mph.

5. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

I have never noticed such a shudder, either. But I am the scissor spoke guy - and I love them!

6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I can't remember anything ever being touch when accelerating or decelerating. I work hard to keep the power needle in the neutral zone whenever possible. I don't like accelerating and then backing off immediately because it turns on the brake lights. So I accelerate to the speed I expect to maintain and then work the neutral zone. Never a shudder.

Lainey likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bldxyz

bldxyz Well-Known Member

I haven't noticed anything like that.

By the way, I have the Enigmatic Black. I can understand those who think it is too black, as it really only shines blue in direct sunlight. I think it is very cool, though!

bpschroder likes this.
  9. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Is there an Enigmatic troll on this forum? Too black? If EB is too black, what about Midnight Black?

One of my favorite comments about a black car is, "Black isn't a color, it's a lifestyle." Based on how hard it is to keep my SE's black roof clean, I'd have to agree.

SpeedyRS and Lainey like this.
  10. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

The black front trim on my BRG and the roof pillars and the roof and the rear....all require weekly bathing. :)

11. Chicago

Chicago Member

>>test ride was in a grey Signature Plus... I also took a close look at an Electric Connection and an Enigmatic Black. <<

I would like to know which dealer has three 2022 SEs sitting around, unsold!

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

No not three unsold sitting around, but there are a few on boats. The Electric Connection was sold and waiting on the lot for its owner. I was just checking colors and interior. The Enigmatic paint was on a 4 door. The grey+ SE has been available for a couple weeks. This Boston area dealer has two showrooms, so cars bounce back and forth. They recently sold the grey base signature SE that had been hanging around for a month. He has an electric connection coming off the boat this week that is unsold, and a couple others already sold. The other Boston dealer has two Iconics (one Enigmatic, the other black) and an Electric Connection on its way that are as yet unsold. All these are highly optioned. The general manager told me that he currently cannot order SEs for the lot. The factory is only filling the sold orders at this time. So it may be awhile before he gets more. I imagine thats about the story everywhere in the US.

When I swung by last week, he had nothing on that lot. I was lucky this week that I was able to see and compare several Minis in the colors and interior that we were trading off. I went out and bought some lottery tickets, but my luck seems to have run out...

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  14. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

Definitely not normal. I even took my car out for a few drives and tried to recreate this.

MichaelC likes this.