Royal Bank Canada/Petro Canada - free charging for 1 year Canada

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by electriceddy, May 2, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. To remove this ad click here.

2. Recoil45

Recoil45 Active Member

A year worths of fuel is a minuscule amount of money. I suppose the jesture is nice, but I don't see this as significant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lars likes this.
  3. Heck, you kidding!!?? You obviously don't know how much gas costs here. And now with the loss of many of the free BC Hydro chargers, this can help keep my free charging streak going this summer. We were thinking of taking a trip to Manitoba later this summer/early fall, and this would really help. I have already saved about $5K in two years over what I would have paid in my ICE car for the same miles.

Kirk and electriceddy like this.
  4. Recoil45

Recoil45 Active Member

Did not realize this was in an area with artificially high fuel costs.

Fuel is cheap here in Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

electriceddy likes this.
  5. Yes, of course. But in BC, within metro Vancouver, we have the highest gas prices in North America. We get taxed upstream and downstream to the pump, by about 3 levels of govts, all taking more and more. Luckily we have near 100% renewable energy here, though, and more coming online soon, so no problem supporting EV cars and charging infrastructure.

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. I kind of figured you also would be on board with this:D

Would be nice to see Electrify Canada swing a similar deal.

Last edited: May 2, 2021
    mho, ehatch and R P like this.
  8. Only problem, now I have to get another "fee" credit card. Already have a World Elite Airmiles BMO card, and a TD Aerorplan Visa. Although did manage to wangle one year free on the BMO one (so can't give that up), and the TD one is free as long as I keep $5k+ min in the bank account at all times (OK since interest is near zilch anyway). Will have to see what I can get from RBC now.

Love those miles/points though. Booked the whole family on my Aeroplan points to Maui this Dec (as long as this covid is dead). And got a fancy new Napolean BBQ with my Airmiles last spring.

9. Yes, this is my problem with this scheme as well, yet another fee credit card. Which is just a back end way of trying to ply more money out of you in the long play. We just got a letter from TD they are raising our minimum account balance from 2K to 5K, I don't think so. Its not hard to make a minimum of 5-6% per annum in my TD equites account so really they are raising the cost of my checking account form ~ $100 to $250 a year. Looks like we moving the money to a credit union. Personally I think its short sighted on their part to try and nickel and dime me on a checking account and loose on the potential earnings of business loans , mortgages and trading fees but whatever.

Incidentally, for any one who is dealing with sirus xm , I just renewed my all access package, I paid $129 for another year including all taxes and fees, otherwise they want around $29/month for the same service when you factor in the taxes and their 17% royalty fee. You just basically have to call them and tell them you want to pay less.

10. Agree, but just recently, I have greatly increased my cash. Bit of a conundrum though, as on the one hand I fear the increasing inflation (and associated rate hikes) could cause a market crash, but on the other with high inflation, the true value of your cash is diminishing. I am trying to ride the fence, but like I said, leaning to more cash these days. Nothing worse that seeing your market equity lose 40% in a matter of weeks, and then wait years for it to recover. Been there, done that...At this point in my life, more important to preserve what I have...

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

I just checked my RBC app and I have the offer available on both my rbc Visa and MC cards. These are no fee cards for me. Sounds like a no Brainer to me.

R P likes this.
  13. Oh, really, there is a no fee version that works for this as well? I talked on the phone to an agent for the fee cards, and they said if I go to a branch, they might waive the fee. But was not aware of a non fee card that works with this offer. Thanks for that info and will check it out further.

XtsKonaTrooper likes this.
  14. XtsKonaTrooper

Yeah just get the no fee card
    Here's my offer snippet SmartSelect_20210503-134121_RBC Mobile.jpg

R P likes this.
  15. BC-Doc

BC-Doc Member

Thanks for the tip electriceddy.
    I have the card and will be taking advantage of the offer on my shopping trips down to Kelowna.
    Appreciated!

electriceddy and XtsKonaTrooper like this.
  16. XtsKonaTrooper

Even better with the new rbc cc , they will give ya 25,000 petro canada points
    Hehe SmartSelect_20210503-140848_Facebook.jpg

17. XtsKonaTrooper

Just remember to load the offer in the RBC app.

electriceddy and BC-Doc like this.
  18. Picked up our RBC Avion Visa Infinite cards today. I did go through the local branch and they waived the fees for both my wife and I for the first year. Have to say, service (all done on the phone) was really great. From application to pick-up took just a week. Now have to link my new Petro Canada card and give it a try at a Petro Canada station. We have one nearby.

Thanks to electriceddy and XtsKonaTrooper for alerting me to this.

19. XtsKonaTrooper

Not to be a downer,.. I was reading the fine print on the offer today, and noticed, they can cancel the offer at anytime. In the meantime, I will be using it everytime I'm on the road and with the range reduction it will come in handy

20. Yeah, haven't read the all fine print yet (I seldom do), but wouldn't surprise me. They always cover themselves with all of these agreements.

21. BC-Doc

BC-Doc Member

6647A729-933D-4818-A0D5-0E340BBC618F.jpeg A8BC4F86-BBC1-4D52-BE73-06B3E5A40155.jpeg 59A3D8DF-D1A4-429B-A48C-AA20757C0A71.jpeg I topped up from 50% in Kelowna this morning in order to give the Petro Canada network a try. Nice facility and equipment which worked well. Easy to hook on and uses tap-to-pay payment. Charger is about a two minute walk from the local Costco too. High marks so far!

22. XtsKonaTrooper

Hey RP , I can confirm , within several days RBC credited me back the ev charges.
    Ok this is sweet. Basically like free charging at petrocan again SmartSelect_20210514-082818_RBC Mobile.jpg

R P and electriceddy like this.