New Review of EVgo and Electrify America after long 1,500 mile trip

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Mattsburgh, May 5, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Recoil45

Recoil45 Active Member

As things advance it may make sense to have one EVSE charger per 3 parking spots. Each EVSE could have three cables and when one car reaches xx% it stops and begins charging the next customer that plugged in. The rude behavior you describe is just a basic human trait (more so in some states). This would be especially useful at apartment complexes, hotels and office buildings where people park for long periods of time.

Why not have every spot have its own EVSE? Basic math, an understanding of cable ampacity, and realistic expectations from our power providers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Good idea, would work better if an additional AC charge system (or 2) was also available at the same DC locations so those who need the additional charge/range can do so without holding back others.

4. Just got back form a 2500 mile road trip up US 395 to Oregon and back. No issues with any chargers I encounters including EA, EVgo, Charge Point and free Cal-trans chargers

5. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

I am a new EV owner, and I attempted to charge up at the EA station on Harbison Blvd at the Wal Mart in Columbia, SC. There are 4 dispensing units at that location. One was down. The one I attempted to charge from appeared operational, but it would start charging and go for 3 to 5 minutes and then end my session. I tried 4 times while waiting for another dispenser to free up next to me. I then switched to the other dispenser and had a good charging session. And a Nissan Leaf appeared to be charging at the 4th dispenser for over 30 minutes without trouble.

So my one and only experience so far was an EA station where only half the units were working. If I had not been in a hurry I would have contacted EA to let them know about the dispensers which were not functioning correctly.

I hope for the day when you drive up to a QT-sized EV station with a convenience store and a staff maintaining the units without the drivers having to contact remote support.

6. HarryP

HarryP New Member

Pardon my ignorance. I'm the owner of a Chevy Volt that is stuck with Level 2 charging only.

Do fast charging stations even have access to the state of charge of the vehicle? I don't think they have that information. Level 2 ones certainly don't. They can tell you the charging rate only.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Yes, DCFC stations do have access to the battery state of charge and usually display it on there screen during charging.

Mattsburgh and GvilleGuy like this.
  9. In March we drove our new Mustang Mach E from Maryland to SW Florida, across FL a few times, and back. Most EA stations worked great. I had a couple of issues EA fixed by restarting the station and one case of a cable overheating. Other than those, the EA chargers worked great, even using the FordPass Plug & Charge. I used one ChargePoint that worked ok but delivered 1/2 the advertised charging rate.

Mattsburgh likes this.
  10. Tim Miser

Tim Miser New Member

I recently went on a 3000 mile trip from Seattle-Los Angeles-Las Vegas-Salt Lake-Seattle and became the EA member for the trip to get the lower rates during that time. For EA, definitely use the app to start your charge whenever you can, that worked like a charm. Only had a couple of issues, one EA charger in the Redwoods in Calif was out of cellular range so couldn't use the app and therefore couldn't get my membership rates. Other suggestion when planning a charge stop, make sure that when you get to the charger you have enough juice for a plan B. One stop at EA charger, all the chargers were out of service (no mention on Plugshare!) but fortunately there were some Chargepoint chargers down the street. Always make sure you have a back up plan! Also when planning keep an eye on elevation changes (especially out west) as going up mountains/hills will definitely reduce your expected range.

Mattsburgh and GvilleGuy like this.
  11. Agree; I should have mentioned that, thanks. I definitely noticed the new EA cables were much easier to maneuver.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I actually stopped at that exact location on my way to Aiken 2 weeks ago; I was the only one charging and from what I could tell one of the 4 units was down/inoperable. I didn't have any trouble charging though. I've definitely seen where sometimes EA will have 10 units and 2-4 will be down, and I may be biased but it seems like that was more common a year ago than today. Still, I'll take that over EVgo with only 1 unit in many locations.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  14. GvilleGuy

If I could be forgiven asking a newbie EA question on this thread: Each dispenser has two plugs. If one plug is in use and you drive up to use the second plug, can you start a charging session, or do you have to wait for the other session to finish?

15. If they have different plugs like chademo and a ccs only one can charge at a time.

16. TRSmith

TRSmith Member

No, only one cable can be used per dispenser at a time, at least on EA units. The two plugs are there, as far as I can tell, for two reasons: A vestige of the fact that they were really built to have one CCS and one CHAdeMO and in case one side is closer to a particular car's port.

GvilleGuy and Mattsburgh like this.
  17. This made me go do some googling b/c on my most recent trip with the newer/updated EA chargers I noted that when on, for example #3 where 3 and 4 were the same "charger" , the app specifically said 4 was available and 3 was in use. It made me wonder if the updated equipment made it possible to use both at once. Well the answer is no, and what you said above is true. I found it on the EA website:

Though there are two connectors at each Electrify America charger, only one can be used at a time. Having two connectors ensures that it’s easy for you to plug in—no matter where your car’s charging port is located. If either connector is in use, look for the next nearest charger. Most charging stations have at least four chargers to increase availability.

Anyway I just mention this because there might be others like me that always assumed what you said above is true but also maybe wondered. For me personally since nobody else ever seems to be charging when I go to an EA station, I've never really had to test it. Now I know for sure it wouldn't work anyway. Seems like a lot of extra money to spend if you ask me, maybe someday they expect to be able to update their equipment yet again, to handle charging from both plugs at the same time? Who knows.

navguy12 and GvilleGuy like this.
  18. By the way since you said you were a newbie and since I saw someone (probably) violating this rule of "charging etiquette" the other day, most EA chargers have only 1 station with a CHAdeMO plug and all the rest are SAE Combo CCS. If your car uses CCS, you should always use any charger except the one that has CHAdeMO, and leave the CHAdeMO for someone that uses that. The obvious exceptions would be if the one that also includes CHAdeMO is the only one working, or the only one available. I was at a Target in Raleigh a couple weeks ago and someone was using the CCS / CHAdeMO to charge an ID.4, which uses CCS. All the other chargers were available. Of course... it is possible that when they got there all the other chargers were in use. Either way, just something to keep in mind when you pull up and have a choice.

navguy12 and GvilleGuy like this.
  19. GvilleGuy

Yes - this is good to point out. That EA station only had the one CHAD plug. I would have avoided using that station as long as another one was functional, which, luckily, there was.

Thanks for the replies about using both plugs or not. That clears it up for me.

Mattsburgh likes this.
  20. TruckerAlex

TruckerAlex New Member

I tried that one when I got back into town from Atlanta. Still wasn’t working. The EVgo/Blink ones in Greenville at Spinx were OK too.

21. Did she really understand what you were asking? I meet a lot of folk at charging stations where it's their first EV and they've owned it for less than a month. They mostly have no idea (never used a public charger before - they see charging to 100% being as necessary as it was when driving an ICE car. I've also noticed that here in Oz, a lot of owners don't own a type 1 or 2 cable and many of the AC chargers here expect you to have one.

22. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I think that I was pretty clear what I was asking.. All that I asked for was if she could move her car over to finish her charge on Level 2 as her car was charging VEEEERY SLOOOOOWLY on DC fast (something like 3kwh speed or so)

Mattsburgh likes this.