Delivery Stories

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by insightman, Feb 27, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

Yes!

Part of me wishes the car would just stay in Sport mode (why would I drive in any other mode?). But another part of me enjoys hitting that switch and seeing the car on the race track on the screen.

Cindy B and GvilleGuy like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Nice photos. I have trouble when I try to take photos in the dark of the lighted dash, but yours are sharp.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  4. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

Thanks! I could have done better on the driver's door switch photo and the overhead switch area, but did not feel like lugging my camera out for a reshoot that day.

5. insightman

This YouTube video shows how to use the Bimmercode app to make a JCW MINI Cooper default to Sport Mode.

I have so much fun in the default Mid Mode that I never remember there's a Sport Mode. All the Owners Manual says about Sport Mode is "Consistently sporty tuning of the drivetrain for greater driving agility." Agility? Does it modify the suspension tuning?

Am I wrong that Sport Mode just re-maps the accelerator pedal to bring more acceleration earlier in the depression of the pedal? The car accelerates just as fast in Mid Mode when you floor it, right? I'll try to remember I'm not having as much fun as I could be having and switch to Sport Mode next time.

polyphonic and GetOffYourGas like this.
  6. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Sport mode does indeed change the feeling of handling, so I'm saying yes the suspension dampening changes. And if you think you noticed torque steering in mid mode, hang on to your wheel! Sport mode makes the SE practically bunny hop with quick acceleration.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

None of the people who have installed coil-over shocks in their SE (in the North American Motoring forum) have mentioned any connection to a computer that can modify the suspension tuning.

I'm still curious whether the SE's motor receives any more power when the accelerator is floored in Sport Mode than in Mid Mode. I'd love to see a accelerator-position vs power-supplied graph from MINI comparing the two modes. It seems to me that Sport Mode must reach maximum acceleration before the pedal reaches the floor, reducing the driver's ability to modulate the acceleration. Of course, in Sport Mode, modulating the acceleration is not the point.

Cindy B likes this.
  9. bldxyz

bldxyz Well-Known Member

Mine did. Mine did a full wash and detail. I thinks that’s why mine looked so great! Now, despite being parked in my garage when not in use, there’s all sorts of dust and pollen on it.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  10. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Maybe it's all done with traction control, or lack thereof. In sport mode the car really feels more responsive on turns and acceleration.

Cindy B and GetOffYourGas like this.
  11. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

I believe Sport Mode also alters the power steering response, which probably affects handling perception.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

I forgot about that. Thanks for reminding me.

Perhaps the Owners Manual should describe Sport Mode thusly: "Sporty tuning of the drivetrain for more accessible acceleration and the steering for greater driving agility."

MichaelC likes this.
  14. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

I doubt it receives any more power in Sport mode. And I doubt the difference is solely based on accelerator position, but also includes quicker responsiveness to changes in accelerator position. Try blipping the throttle in Green+ mode vs Sport mode and see how quickly the motor reacts. If I blip the throttle in Green mode in our ICE Clubman the engine barely responds at all, so I suspect it's a similar story in the SE.

I really look forward to the day I get to test these theories out myself :)

MiniSER and insightman like this.
  15. wessy, Cindy B, insightman and 4 others like this.
  16. GvilleGuy

Love that blue color! Congrats.

17. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

Mine also came through MINI of Rochester. I am very happy with the experience. They had to present all the dealer add-on options, but there was zero pressure, and we breezed through it. The walk-through was pretty thorough, too.

18. GvilleGuy

I could not think of another thread to make this comment - so forgive me. I had yet to see another SE on the roads here. Tonight - getting close to home on a 4-lane, I thought, "hey, that looks like BRG IV metallic". As I approached the car from behind, I could tell it was a BRG with white roof. And THEN I saw the yellow SE plug logo on the hatch. I pulled up and excitedly honked and waved as I passed, and the driver waved back. I could tell he had already spotted me in his mirrors, as he was rubber necking me as I pulled up along side. It happened so fast I did not even see if it was a 2020/21 or '22. I was psyched to see a fellow EV driver with good taste... :)

wessy, Cindy B, F14Scott and 3 others like this.
  19. insightman

There is a Saw a MINI Cooper SE at... thread for such sightings, but sightings are so rare, the thread has fallen into disuse. I still remember my exultation upon my first SE-to-SE double sighting (the sighting that prompted me to start the thread). Even better, the other SE driver is a member of this forum!

Things have changed, however. These days I can just walk down the short street on which I live (passing a red ICE MINI Cooper on my block) and see another MINI Cooper SE--at a home with no EVSE! I know this because it lives outside and is never plugged in. I've met the owner, she likes her SE (even though it's larger than her previous R-56 MINI Cooper), but doesn't drive very much, so public charging works for her.

Cindy B and GvilleGuy like this.
  20. Carlisle is home!

64465263873__A8FEFDA5-8CF1-4F78-913C-F2C466DCF189.JPG

It’s late, so I’ll save my 100+ mile trip home story for later. But, SO HAPPY to finally have my SE!

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

wessy, bldxyz, GetOffYourGas and 8 others like this.
  21. GvilleGuy

A beauty! Congrats!! You now have the challenge of providing numerous above angle shots for that multi-tone roof.

bldxyz likes this.
  22. J.Dubs

J.Dubs Member

I ordered the beginning of May, received it last weekend. 2022 Iconic. First electric and my second MINI.

23. hanyoung99

hanyoung99 New Member

Nice MiniSER - I was looking at that same one in Tempe! Glad you picked it up!!!