2022 Kona EV - Any More Details?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Toolworker, May 8, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. In late February a Hyundai press release spawned a bunch of stories about the 2022 update, but I haven't seen a peep since then. Has anyone?

From the release and articles:
    • Lots of cosmetic changes outside, making it 1.6" longer
    • No changes to drive train
    • Noise reduction from insulation and acoustic windshield glass
    • Only two trim lines, SEL and Limited
    • 10.25" display in both trim lines
    • New 10.3" digital instrument panel, configurable (how much?)
    • More rear legroom and cargo space claimed, but all I've seen is 1/2" legroom (thinner seats?) and the same cargo numbers.
    I'd like to know:
    • Did the heads-up display disappear along with the Ultimate trim?
    • Any change in colors?
    • When will the Build and Price link on Hyundai's 2022 Kona EV page work, so we can get the details?
    • And when will it be at U.S. dealers?
    There's lots to interest those who care about exterior styling. For me, only two things of interest: Noise reduction would be great. But if the new instrument panel chases away the heads-up display, that'll replace a reason to keep eyes on the road with a reason not to.

Tappets and Clamps like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. If Hyundai offered a reasonable buy back program for those of us with defective batteries I would happily switch to the updated design.

electriceddy likes this.
  4. Ginginova

Ginginova Active Member

Seen the new Kona EV model at the local Hyundai dealership here in Slovenia. :)
    But I dislike Tesla wannabe lookalike design. :p

5. I’m picking up my series 2 Kona EV tomorrow. So happy with our 2018 after it’s replacement battery, so are trading in our Volvo V40 D4 for the 2021 series 2 and our carport will be ICE free yay

ehatch, electriceddy and Clamps like this.
  6. Tomek

Tomek Active Member

It's interesting that you won't go to the Hyundai USA website (or at least the one from the link) if you don't provide some American zip code ... Indeed, great advertisement for the company :)

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

I have read this model has been discontinued in Korea, they should just do this worldwide and concentrate on the Ioniq 5 as well as more new models

9. Is the heads-up display available on the 2022 Kona in any country where it's been delivered or equipment details announced?

If that's gone, it's a big minus. My ideal 2022 would keep the HUD and add the front parking sensors available in other countries. (Dream on.)

Otter and Shark like this.
  10. Ginginova

Ginginova Active Member

Ioniq 5 is positioned 25-35% higher than Kona price wise.
    It is not meant as a model which will bring electric mobility to the masses. It's meant to be a premium electric car.

11. Ginginova

Ginginova Active Member

HUD is still available here in Slovenia in top trim model as standard and in medium trim as an extra payable option.

Heat pump is something which was removed from low and medium trims here in Slovenia, but used to be standard in all trims. But is available as an extra payable option on those two lower trims.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    Tappets and Toolworker like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Thanks!

From this, and reading between the lines in the online stories, Hyundai may be moving toward more options on the two remaining trim lines.

Can anyone in countries where the 2022 is available post lists of standard and optional features? Preferably in English ;) but there's always Google Translate.

14. Shark

Shark Active Member

I saw a video indicating availability this month. But I'm not sure how dated the video is, and I also see that the dealers in just the 12 states where the Electric is sold here in the U.S are currently sitting on more than 2000 '21's in addition to several hundred leftover '20's that still remain unsold. Hyundai is offering $3000 cash back on the 2021's and $5000 cash back on the 2020's.

I'm interested in buying one, but I'm trying to get my arms around why the dealers seem to be overloaded with inventory. Is it the bad publicity with the battery recall/fires? If the dealers are having trouble moving the current inventory, does it make sense for Hyundai to flood the market with even more cars? Might they be holding back the '22's?

I first considered the Kona Electric about a year ago, and it was difficult to even find one. Now the dealer by me has 41 in stock!

15. So mostly the same as the 2020/2021, with the changes in my first post and power passenger seats on the top trim line.

So for me the only real difference is the noise reduction, most of which I could add myself.

The site touts the Shift By Wire gear selector (PRDN) as a feature. Was there an alternative? Are there gears?

16. No, All the items mentioned on that section of the Hyundai site are the same - like the battery and motor sizes and regeneration.

17. My apologies - the comment about the "Shift By Wire gear selector" was meant tongue in cheek. Every EV is shift by wire. Probably most ICE cars these days too.

And I don't think they have shiftable gears. Don't they just run the motor backwards to reverse?

BC-Doc likes this.
  18. Vince08

Vince08 Member

Here are the Technical Specs for the versions sold in Singapore. No HUD. I haven't test driven on one to compare the interior noise level...or to determine if the high pitched whine during acc/deceleration is there.

Attached Files:

Toolworker likes this.
  19. Thanks! Was the HUD available in Singapore on 2021 and earlier?

It's fascinating how Hyundai customizes models for different countries. In Singapore there's a short range version, which makes a lot of sense.

20. Ginginova

Ginginova Active Member

In Europe short range 38 kWh Kona EV is also available.
    Basically yes, lots of localised customisations all around the world.

21. Vince08

Vince08 Member

No HUD in the earlier models.

Looking at some of the Youtube reviews of the facelift Kona from this region, I noticed that HUD is available.

22. @Vince08 Sorry to hear that, but at least we get one option that someone somewhere can't.

Here in the U.S., we can't get electric folding outside mirrors, front proximity parking sensors or heat pumps, all of which are available in many other countries.

I wish Hyundai would make an international trim line with all the options available anywhere. It could come in two colors, white and United Nations blue.

OzKona, Devhead, Shark and 1 other person like this.