Quote From Joe Biden

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Recoil45, Apr 30, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Recoil45

Recoil45 Active Member

"The United States accounts, as all of you know, for less than 15 percent of carbon emissions. The rest of the world accounts for 85 percent. That’s why I kept my commitment to rejoin the Paris Accord, because if we do everything perfectly, it’s not going to matter."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Recoil45

Recoil45 Active Member

It's a fair statement in a twisted way.

4. SouthernDude

SouthernDude Active Member

The Paris Accord, in general, is pretty pointless. It's a non-binding agreement - as in there are no consequences if targets aren't met. So, it doesn't actually matter if any given country is or isn't in it. I just don't want to be in it because the UN is a joke of an organization and doesn't deserve any more funding to continue.

5. The Paris Accord justifies and supports more taxes on fossil fuels and ICE cars. And provide more money for renewable energy projects and EV subsidies. Also justify more regs to kill ICE sales. That will force more people to buy EVs.

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Recoil45

Recoil45 Active Member

If you actually digest what Joe said (it's accurate), that shift isn't that significant. The USA is already a very green country. It's the rest of the world that needs to do the major changes. Unfortunately the Paris accord does a lot of things detrimental to our economy while not forcing other countries to bear the same burden we will. In fact, some of the stuff in there requires us to pay other countries to clean up their mess. The accord needs to put significantly more pressure on the countries actually polluting at higher levels. The US should actually start imposing tariffs on goods manufactured in other countries that don't match our environment standards. Start small and add 5% a year until they match us. If they don't, it will eventually mean more jobs for Americans and cleaner air. Right now we are being taken advantage of financially and delaying meaningful change.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
  8. Agreed and like I said, the only thing rejoining the Paris Accord does is justify/rationalize the current policies to suppress fossil fuels and implement the Green New Deal. Remember the clock is ticking, and we all die in just 10 years now if we don't take drastic action immediately.

9. Recoil45

Recoil45 Active Member

Sadly that is the message and quite a few people seem to believe it.

R P likes this.
  10. SouthernDude

Why would any sovereign nation need international justification for passing legislation within its borders?

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. I didn't say that it did. But your govt is using the Paris Accord as another reason/justification to proceed with their Green New Deal implementation. How else will they meet the US emissions targets set forth in the PA?

13. SouthernDude

The Paris accord is a non-binding agreement; it doesn’t matter if any country doesn’t meet their goals. The left was going to push the green new deal crap regarding of whether or not the Paris accord is a thing. It’s all pure propaganda.

14. Yeah, but this gives them extra reason/justification to do it. Remember, we are talking existential policies to save our species... Only 10 years left now to turn it around...

15. SouthernDude

So it’s all just propaganda? Weird isn’t it?

16. It's more than that. I would call it mind control. And when everyone repeats the same thing over and over, you gotta believe it, right? What percentage of the population do you believe truly think for themselves? I know an awful lot of people that just believe what they hear on the news, and repeat it as if it has to be true. It is not cool now to be a free thinker, and question what you are told. And to get of line with that could have severe consequences for you, incl losing your job. So why fight it?

The world has changed...

17. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Perhaps the first step is to cite the source of a quote?

The reason for citing a source is some unethical reports ‘invent’ claims from those they don’t like or political losers.

Bob Wilson

DaleL and Domenick like this.
  18. Recoil45

Recoil45 Active Member

If you watched it live you heard him say it as I did. The speech should be on you tube. It is was his first public update since taking office.

19. Recoil45

Recoil45 Active Member

Trans script at the link below.

It's actually disturbing to me that people are not aware of this. It was all over the news for days because it was the first time a democrat in a leadership position acknowledged the USA is one of the cleanest industrialized nations in the world by leaps and bounds and can do little to clean up global pollution. But the democrat and liberal media make us out to be the worst offenders. You may need to expand your news sources.

The US does not need to be in the Paris accord. The US needs to stop importing things from countries that do not manufacture items at the pollution levels we do, or tariff the hell out of their products until it is cheaper to cleanly manufacture them here.

The Paris accord is an attack on our economy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/29/us/politics/joe-biden-speech-transcript.html

20. bwilson4web

Apparently you do not have a source URL.

Bob Wilson

21. bwilson4web

Thanks!

I'm enjoying his speech:

Tonight, I come to talk about crisis and opportunity, about rebuilding the nation, revitalizing our democracy, and winning the future for America.

I stand here tonight, one day shy of the 100th day
    of my administration — 100 days since I took the oath of office and lifted my hand off our family Bible and inherited a nation — we all did — that was in crisis.

So going back to the original exerpt:

Look, the climate crisis is not our fight alone; it’s a global fight. The United States accounts, as all of you know, less than 15 percent of carbon emissions. The rest of the world accounts for 85 percent. That’s why I kept my commitment to rejoin the Paris Accord — because if we do everything perfectly, it’s not going to ultimately matter.

I kept my commitment to convene a climate summit right here in America with all of the major economies of the world — China, Russia, India, the European Union — and I said I’d do it in my first 100 days.

Getting the full context makes a lot of sense because it shows leadership by example. Contrast that to the "orange" coward whose 'bone spurs' must of been acting up again. Leadership is not walking away from a problem but engagement.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
    DaleL likes this.