Bonnet Stripes Preview

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by bldxyz, May 7, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bldxyz

bldxyz Well-Known Member

Since MINI has not made a timeline for the standard bonnet stripes available and no one in my dealer wants to improvise with 2021 stripes, I’m looking at a highly recommended third party.

I visited the shop today and the fellow placed a demo of what the stripes would look like on the hood.

Thoughts?

IMG_4534.JPG

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. larrenz

larrenz Member

I personally like ghost stripes for a subtle look.

MichaelC likes this.
  4. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

That will look good!

5. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

Looks good to me!

6. bldxyz

bldxyz Well-Known Member

What do you mean by Ghost Stripes?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

They're usually a clear film that you can only see at certain angles.

9. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

With an all-black MINI, I think you need all-black stripes. :)

10. Chicago

Chicago Member

Ever think of buying some of the factory color shift paint that is on your roof and spray the stripes on rather than paste them on?

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  11. Chicago

Chicago Member

>>It's sold as a black in the UK, but in the sunshine it's a pearlescent dark navy blue.<<

Your hood looked blue to me in your photo, so I was confused about using black stripes. Did not realize you did not have the multi-tone roof. My bad.

(I agree with Mike below, you need the white border.)

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. mikeg0305

mikeg0305 Active Member

My wife is so mad that we still don’t have the stripes yet on our Chili Red SE. She even tried talking the dealer into using the 21 stripes but they won’t guarantee the work since our Mini is a 22. Btw, the hood has not changed shape !!!!

I like the black stripes with the white border on your Enigmatic Black SE. Subtle but cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Chicago likes this.
  14. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

Does your dealer actually install them themselves or take them somewhere else? All tint and stripes at our dealer are done by a local place, so we just go there directly and skip the middle man.

15. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

Am I the only 22 with bonnet stripes installed? My dealer never said anything about them not being covered under warranty. He just said “I’ll make it happen.” So I’m not certain which kind of stripes I have installed. But I have them.

Chicago likes this.
  16. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I asked my dealer if they'd install bonnet stripes if I got my own color combination. They said sure but wouldn't warranty the install, which I wouldn't expect. Didn't get a price, and from the looks of YouTube videos and various sites that sell stripes, the DIY option may not be too bad. And then I ran into a site like VinylGraphicsPro and realized I know nothing.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  17. bldxyz

bldxyz Well-Known Member

It’s Enigmatic Black. Sometimes it looks black, other times, under direct light, dark blue.

I like the borders since they pick up the few chrome details on the car.

GvilleGuy and MichaelC like this.
  18. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I amend my mistake: With an Enigmatic Black MINI, I think you need Enigmatic Black stripes. :)

Not to be a Debbie Downer--I like MINIs with bonnet stripes, but I think your SE looks great without them. The Enigmatic Black blends well with the black grille, creating an overall Darth Vader statement--a monochrome entity (except for the chrome beltline, which I would replace) of which @Matt Shumaker must be envious. Matt, our fellow forum member and YouTube "Tech Forum" personality, wrote after spending lots of time and money to do away with the grey grille on his Midnight Black 2020 SE that he was going to trade it in for an all-black 2022.

Our Moonlit Forest Green Honda Clarity (see avatar) is like Enigmatic Black in that it looks black in any light shy of sunlight.

GvilleGuy and Chicago like this.
  19. mikeg0305

mikeg0305 Active Member

My dealer told us on numerous occasions that in order for the stripes to be covered under the bumper to bumper warranty they needed to match the production year of the car. They could be full of crap but at this point I’m paying the dealer the 400 bucks so why wouldn’t they just take my money. Sounds like they are trying to make sure if they screwup somehow that MiniUSA will cover it. So annoying.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  20. MiniJimmy

MiniJimmy Member

I also had my 22 installed with stripes by the dealer. It's the "standard" 2 door stripe that has white outer trims. They never said anything that it's not covered because it's on a 22 car. There should be no differences though, between 21 and 22.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  21. mikeg0305

mikeg0305 Active Member

I agree with both of you. I’m just reporting back what our dealer was telling us. Just in case others dealers are saying the same bs.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  22. mikeg0305

mikeg0305 Active Member

I can’t make this up. I just got this email from our salesperson. IMG_6392.JPG

GvilleGuy likes this.
  23. bldxyz

bldxyz Well-Known Member

I appreciate your perspective. I just don’t share your design aesthetic.

You may recall I did not want the Piano Black details - if given the choice, I’d have Chrome. I will not black out the belt-line, and I did not choose all black wheels.

I prefer chocolate chip ice cream to either chocolate or vanilla ice creams. I like the study in contrasts. I think I’ll enjoy the pop of the silver border to gloss black stripes. The gloss black will echo the Piano black details, and the silver will pick up the belt-line and the wheels.

GvilleGuy, MichaelC and insightman like this.