Hyundai Ioniq 5 first drive review videos!

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by Domenick, Apr 23, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Olimpia

Olimpia Member

I'm afraid this will probably start in the mid $40Ks in the US...hopefully I'm wrong and it's lower.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. larrenz

larrenz Member

Amazing car. The features are impressive.

4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Except for the glaring lack of even an option for a rear wiper, I agree.

5. leehinde

leehinde Active Member

But you're used to that... :)

insightman likes this.
  6. insightman

I don't need a rear wiper on my Clarity, but every hatchback I've owned, including my current one, a MINI Electric, has had a rear wiper. I assume the aerodynamic design of the Ioniq 5 helps keep the rear window clean, but I wanna rear wiper!

restyler likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Maybe at highway speeds. Hyundai should've offered it as an option. Their designers don't always consider the different countries' climates. i.e. winter in Canada - frozen front-facing charging port doors - should've been moved to the side like a Bolt. Rear wipers are invaluable during snowfalls.

insightman likes this.
  9. I don't know much about winters in south korea, but wikipedia says it can get pretty cold, so one presumes they're satisfied by it's behavior in snowy weather (presumably with the rear defroster on). For what it's worth, the (comparatively mild) winters in the Northeast US with my sedan (which doesn't have a rear wiper) have never really been a problem with the defroster (provided I clear the thing off before heading out). I agree a rear wiper would have been nice (more for rain than snow IMO), but I wonder how necessary it is. That rear window looks pretty steeply angled (plus that spoiler).

Regarding the charging port: I don't have a strong opinion on this, except that it would seem to make most sense to me to put charging ports in front as the vast majority of charging stations appear to be straight on and that arrangement allows for a higher density of vehicles. That said, the side-rear placement seems most common and fairly traditional, and I guess they can put them there without messing with front styling. The EV6's charging port is on the rear, which is pretty odd.

10. Autogefühl, one of my favorite review channels, released its Ioniq 5 review. Some good stuff in here. He really likes the ride and power. Carplay integration was good, but not big on the infotainment in general.

11. The Electrifying channel now has its own review out. A bit of a more unique approach here, and I feel you'll love it or hate it.

SkyShotEV likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SkyShotEV

SkyShotEV Member

"Thriller or tainted love?" Interesting call

Domenick likes this.
  14. GaryClark

GaryClark Active Member

NC
    This would mean the IONIQ 5 in US dollars would range from $49,660 for the stripped down (smallest battery, one motor, no floating center console or exterior door trims) all the way up to $66,412 for the one we've all see in every review. Mankind has never seen the base SE trim and and for good reason.
    upload_2021-7-6_23-15-44.jpeg

Domenick likes this.
  15. restyler

restyler Active Member

I dont know the details of how cars are taxed when they enter the US, but the cheapest version of the UK I5 is around £37K - which is the on-the-road price including Tax {VAT}
    Therefore, the car pre-tax {20%}, would have been around £31K.
    If we were doing a straightforward £>$ exchange, {current rate of 1.38}, then that would translate to just under $43K.
    Does each state then add its own import tax on foreign cars?

Domenick likes this.
  16. Here, the prices are given before tax. Every state has a different tax rate.

restyler likes this.
  17. restyler

restyler Active Member

Ok, found THIS showing different Tax per state, but are foreign imports taxed the same as US built cars, or maybe an extra tax when they enter the Country?

18. State governments don't have authority over international trade. But we really shouldn't try to estimate price by calculation, it's probably folly. Prices are set differently for different markets based on business and competitive factors which we can only guess at (IE: The "base model" in the US will still have the 77kwh battery, that may do weird things to the pricing structure).

The general consensus (based more or less on conjecture and the EV6) afaik is for the top end to be somewhere around $55-60k (considering the limited top spec EV6 is ~$58k and no such offering is being made for the I5 stateside).

restyler and insightman like this.
  19. GaryClark

GaryClark Active Member

NC
    Charlie Kim thought US prices would top out at 58K on his extended video last night but my original comments were based on a direct conversion. This is also from a market that reportedly sold out immediately versus the US site that’s still accepting reservations. The EV6 could have played a part and possibly low estimated take rates has effected the open reservations in the US. Maybe Martyn could give us a ball park figured based on UK vs US prices based on other comparable models from Hyundai.

On the review I don’t believe it’s a good fit for tight parking places though that assist feature and center console nice to use on occasion as needed. Check your dimensions folks…this isn’t a little hot hatch as it may appear.

The price may be bigger than it appears also when you start adding in all the features we’ve seen in every review.

As big a delay that the US MSRP announcement is experiencing, I’m wondering if they’re considering shuffling allocation to the UK where top dollar is standard fare.

Attached Files:

20. I don't think anyone who has been following the vehicle for any length of time actually thinks it's a hot hatch, considering it has been referred to as a compact crossover (in US nomenclature) since it was merely a rumor. It is roughly akin to the ID.4 in dimension, and a bit smaller than the Model Y. Anywhere they can fit, it can fit.

Re pricing/allotments: We really have no clue what any of it means. The US is also a strange market w.r.t EVs and has been relatively neglected in terms of PR for this model (This might also be because the US release was always planned to lag behind other places). I don't think we can really speculate too much on pricing at the moment. The best comparison we have is the first edition EV6 (probably a rough equivalent to the Project 45 edition, which is the spec'd out version we keep seeing), which does not breach $60k.

21. GaryClark

GaryClark Active Member

NC
    I don't consider every reader to be fully informed or have followed IONIQ 5 for long. It was just a counter statement to the twice repeated video note of how easy it will be in tight parking slots is all. No offense intended for the informed crowd here.

As for the EV6 comparison was it demand or just a glitch that brought down the EV6 reservation sight? I'm not speculating but just asking. Did any trim run out of available IONIQ like the EV6? Granted there wasn't that marketing angle but there is only a waiting list over there for the KIA and no changes over on the IONIQ page. All that to say this, though they share the same platform they are two differently appointed vehicles that share the same DNA but may not share the same price.

If KIA's web page is an indication as you believe then Charlie Kim is correct. Was it hard to sell out 1,500 First Editions? Will more non-First Editions be available in 2021/22? The easiest thing to do is just wait another month or two to find out what the MSRP is but for some this is the hardest. When that day comes then we can all just guess at what each of our local KIA dealers will sell them for over MSRP as Hyundai stated they have the ability to do.

Maybe the MSRP is irrelevant when swimming with sharks. Metaphorically speaking of course, and no offense to any dealership folks reading these threads.

22. insightman

MSRP is also irrelevant when swimming in a state where Hyundai refuses stock the waters with EVs. I'm so glad MINI graced all 50 states with its made-for-fun (ignore the range) EV. Of course, it's in no way comparable to Hyundai's utilitarian crossover, but at least my MINI Cooper SE has a rear wiper.

GaryClark likes this.
  23. My guess is it does, because the first few to be released will have solar on the roof. With the roof area available I doubt that would be relevant to anything other than a 12V battery.

EDIT:
    Here it is, from
    Ioniq5 battery.jpg

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021