2020 Ultimate: No Drive or Reverse

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by KonaScot, May 4, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. KonaScot

KonaScot Active Member

In case anyone has something similar that has happened....

Yesterday, the Kona EV would apparently energize when the start button was pushed in the driveway, but illuminated the service needed icon and low voltage red battery warning on the dash.

It would not shift into either reverse or drive, it did shift into neutral and back into park.

Jumping the 12v battery had no effect. Lots of big battery charge, about 87%. Car worked fine 2 days previous and was then recharged. Under 10,000 on car.

We've done all pending recalls but for the 80% one, the last one was done in December 2020.

We called Hyundai for a "tow" to the nearest dealer. They came quickly and it was a good experience as far as that went.

Today the dealer says in a message that one of the recalls was "not properly connecting to the hybrid (!) battery", an "update was performed", the car was driven 10 mi. and it's functional now.

I hope to put a finer point on this when I pick up the car tomorrow.

Corruption of the installed software?

Has anyone heard of something like this?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Anaglypta

Anaglypta Active Member

UK
    @KonaScot

Updates to the BMS seem to perplex many dealers - Its got so bad that the latest TSB has warnings and special procedures all over it including a flow chart to try to point the service tech in the right direction - see the latest TSB:-

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10188243-0001.pdf

If the BMS update isn't applied correctly all sorts of wierdness can happen, and your car can finish up in a very unstable state!

John.

4. KonaScot

KonaScot Active Member

Thanks for that! Oddly, the car was fine from December (BMS update) and this week. I suppose that an error took a while to manifest itself. This new automotive tech pretty much has me buffaloed. But that's one reason why we decided we'd go "bleeding edge" and see how it goes.

5. It's funny how often software gets the blame. My elderly mom blames me for anything that happens to her tablet or smartphone if I had simply visited in the previous week.

As my doctor says, if it happens once it might be just a random event, but if it happens twice it needs attention.

6. KonaScot

KonaScot Active Member

Just picked up the car, and it works. Dealer was of no value in conversing about/describing what the problem was and what was done (not where I got the car and I try to avoid this closer dealer than were I leased the vehicle).

Invoice says that Campaign T5V was performed, as was campaign VCULDC (software update) and P29 (the charge level recall...but when I got home the levels had been set at 100% for AC and DC...go figure).

My understanding is that T5V and VCULDC had been previously performed (last in for all available recall updates in December 2020).

7. To remove this ad click here.