Purchase of extended warranty for 2021 RAV4 Prime?

Discussion in 'Rav4 Prime' started by MarylandBlueTailedLizard, Apr 22, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Team: Looking for information on purchasing an extended warranty; I'm buying 2021 RAV4 Prime, SE, tomorrow(!). Did you purchase warranty? Why yes/no? "$2,500-$2,700" is handwritten on a brochure for "Vehicle service contracts" provided through the Zurich American Insurance Company. No specific details in brochure; nothing for R4P or any PHEV. Aligned with usual dealer game I won't get details until I purchase vehicle. Zurich got 3 out of 5 stars on reviews I'd found. Because I'll be driving a computer it may be worthwhile, but not certain. Input welcome!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Sent you a PM.

4. MaryP

MaryP New Member

Why can't we get an answer for all of us about extended warranties? Don't Toyota and Honda have their own extended warranties without needing a third party extended warranty?

5. greinstein

greinstein New Member

Yes. Bought mine from [email protected] at a price less than Longo Toyota in El Monte pays for theirs, according to my Longo salesman.

6. A few thoughts. Toyota is known worldwide for the quality of their cars, buying an extended warranty seems to go against their reputation. Also, to me the biggest thing to be concerned with would be the battery system, but that's already covered for 10 years and 150,000 miles. Third, my understanding is you can always buy an extended warranty later, before the original one expires. Why not wait a few years and see if the vehicle seems to have enough problems that you'd even want or need an extension. And finally, most importantly, I would suggest that no matter what you think about the car and how long you're going to keep it, you could be very wrong. Just over 2 years ago I bought a 2019 Hyundai Kona Electric with an UNLIMITED LIFETIME battery warranty (it came standard with all 2019 Kona Electrics in the US, I didn't pay extra for it). Anyway, my thought was "I'm going to keep this car forever... even if I want a new or different car in 10 years I'll keep the Kona too because ... free battery replacement when it needs it." And here I am less than 2 1/2 years later and guess what? I don't have the Kona Electric anymore. Not because I changed my mind in the sense that my reasoning or logic was not sound. But because Hyundai had a problem with the battery pack that they couldn't fix in a satisfactory time and manner and THEY offered to buy the car back at a price I simply couldn't refuse. Now from what I hear if I had bought an extended warranty I probably could have gotten most of my money back, minus maybe a few hundred in bogus fees. But even if I got every penny back you know what? I'd have to waste time doing it. Waste time buying it and waste time canceling it. So my suggestion would be: don't buy one, at least not for a couple years. Wait and make sure something completely unexpected doesn't happen in the meantime, and also give yourself time to get a feel for the car and whether you think a warranty would even get much use.

Clarence likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.