BC Hydro stations

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by SkookumPete, Apr 3, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Now that the pricing is corrected ($.21@50kW and .27@100kW) it would make the most sense to always use the 100kW charger if one is available, unless the charging rate in winter is slow or unless I am starting from >60%.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. BC-Doc

BC-Doc Member

I think it’s for the best that Hydro chargers are no longer free. I tried to get on my local level 3 charger a few times over the past couple of weeks (we’re doing renos and I’ve lost easy access to garage)— every time I went by the Hydro charger, someone was using it. In order for through travellers to have access to it, I think pay for use is the way to go.

That said, my local BC Hydro charger is slow and unreliable with lots of power interruptions mid-charge. BC Hydro needs to step up its game and invest in a faster, seamless network which will meet the needs of BC’s growing EV community.

4. Finally the Feds have budgeted for charging measurement standards in Canada, hopefully not too long to implement (fair) pricing across the board:
    https://electricautonomy.ca/2021/04/27/codes-standards-retail-zev-charging-fees/
    funds to go directly to Measurement Canada;)

mho and lars2885 like this.
  5. Tried the North lot today (older picture during construction):

[​IMG]

https://www.plugshare.com/location/282001

works just fine. I didn't really need a charge however curiosity got the better of me. The cable is not locked on and releases like normal. After plugging into the car I used the RFID Chargepoint card and started to pull 31kW right away (I was at 70% SOC). It stayed that way until 80% then went down to 23 kW until I shut it off at 84%. I just wanted to verify it would keep working past 80% just in case they start to charge $ in the future. (No one was around at any of the 4 chargers).
    So here is the layout: (4) 50 kW machines (Chargepoint) fed by a 600VA HV transformer (25 kV to 600 V 3 phase) which feeds the CDP closest to the North lot chargers. Each of the 4 machines has its own independent transformer 75 kVA (600V/480V) and fusible (100A) disconnect switch. So the system is well designed for the 4- 50kW machines, but no room to expand in the future with the present equipment.
    It is just off the highway so a perfect location with no wasted time to resume travelling.
    If you are driving a Porsche Taycan EV or have an Ionic 5 on order and need a faster charge (800V), you will need to go a little further north into Nanaimo (about 7 km) and use
    Petrocan
    https://www.plugshare.com/location/198486
    or Electrify Canada
    https://www.plugshare.com/location/305131
    Oh and did I mention the airport chargers are free (for the time being):D

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
  6. I just finished a trip across BC and back and the only reliable charging network was BC Hydro. About half the PetroCan or Electrify Canada stations would not start or cut out after a few minutes. BC Hydro stations worked flawlessly with my Flo RFID card. But I did appreciate the 70+kW charging speed at PC or EC when they worked.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Yes, while the Petro-Canada stations are free, they don't always work well, at least not here on the Lower Mainland. Good news is I have yet to encounter another EV charging there (2 stations at each location), at least not yet. My trip a few months ago used BC Hydro chargers most of the way, and agree they worked flawlessly.

9. PC is free? Not along the trans-Canada where I was.

10. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

I charged today with only a 20% charge (south chargers). It pulled 46 - 48 KW, and charged me to 80 % in less than an hour, but slowed to lower charge rate somewhere after 70%. Still have trouble getting it to recognize card, and using the chargepoint app it says card not recognized, but then starts to charge anyway. Great for a trip to Costco in Nanaimo, picked up hotdogs there, and ate them at the airport coming home and charging for free!!

electriceddy likes this.
  11. To remove this ad click here.

12. OK, so all I need to do to avoid that terrible bank is pay for my own occasional charging? Sounds like a good deal to me!

13. mho likes this.
  14. All these apps for each service provider, RFIDs for each service provider, blah, blah, blah is total BS. You don't need that for gas/diesel, why do we need it for EVs. Gas people just fill the tank and pay with a card. There is no logical reason why it should not be the same with EV charging.

Pull up to a charger, present your credit or debit card (swipe/insert/tap, whatever, to release the plug). Charging starts. You pay by the kWh, same as you pay per litre or gallon for liquid hydrocarbons. Providers are free to charge what they like per kWh, just as servos/oil companies charge what they like for gas and may the best man win. What is so freaking difficult about this?

If they want to encourage people to disconnect when charging has stopped, charge a per minute fee for sitting on the charger when there is no flow.

It is not rocket science.

15. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

It's freaking difficult because it's a baby industry, with an unfinished history of protocol wars and
    mismanagement, and subject to a crazy mix of dumb, short-sighted state regulations. Not to
    mention being in the tricky bootstrap state where they can"t build infrastructure if they can't
    turn a profit, but they need installed gear before they can have a revenue stream, etc etc.

_H*

16. BC-Doc likes this.
  17. Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
  18. Last 2 times (last week) I only got 30 kW (not complaining) and thought something wrong with car, but reading the check ins I am not alone. 2 other Kona EVs, a FFE and an M3 report the same- only 1 Bolt reported 45 kW, Seems to have happened recently as I received 40 kW+ earlier in the year, maybe they throttled them down? Next time I will try the south lot machines and see if any difference and report back:
    https://www.plugshare.com/location/282001

19. Tried the south lot today and found no throttling there, even though the chargers are further distance from the distribution equipment. Pulled 48kW + to 70% (limited by the 50kW charger specs) and followed the regular Kona EV charge curve to around 84%:)
    https://www.plugshare.com/location/300753

20. Charging just got easier within the District of Saanich opening 20 new AC charging stations.:)
    With the additional 20 locations, the District will now have a total of 32 Saanich-operated charging stations, bringing the total public network in Saanich to 115 EV chargers.

The new charging stations will be located at eight municipal sites, including four new locations at Saanich parks:

• Saanich Commonwealth Place – 6 new stations (plus 2 existing stations)
    • G.R. Pearkes Recreation Centre – 2 new stations (plus 2 existing stations)
    • Cedar Hill Recreation Centre – 2 new stations (plus 2 existing stations)
    • Cedar Hill Golf Course – 2 new stations (plus 2 existing stations)
    • Gyro-Cadboro Park – 2 new stations
    • Mount Douglas Park – 2 new stations
    • Hampton Park – 2 new stations
    • Beckwith Park – 2 new stations
    • Saanich charges a $1/hour user fee for the charging stations to encourage turnover and cover the cost of maintenance and electricity.
    • [​IMG]
    • Source:
    • https://www.cheknews.ca/district-of-saanich-opening-20-new-ev-charging-stations-936602/

lars2885 and DJP like this.
  21. "Parkland Corporation announced today it intends to build the ‘Electric Charging Destination of the Future’ in British Columbia, revealing a stunning concept design."

Video a bit fanciful, (turn the Teslas around). I do like the concept.
    The company expects the network at the On the Run and Triple O restaurants to be complete in the second half of 2022.

E-Shark likes this.
  22. Nah, I would rather have a charging station near a bunch of fast food joints or other restaurants. Those people there look like they have all the time in the world...