BM &VCULDC Update

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Jamas, Apr 30, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I'm hoping someone can help clarify this for me. I'm in the US and have a 2019 Ultimate. The last two recall updates I had done were:

Recall 196 - High Voltage Update/Inspect 01D076R3 IGPM, MCU, BMS, &VCULDC Update
    Recall 199 - Integrated Elec. Brake Upd.

Now, I know there is an outstanding Recall 200 to replace the battery (which I realize won't happen for a while)

And there is also Service Campaign P29 to check the Max Charge is set to 80%

However, when I called today to make an appt. for Service Campaign P29, they told me there is also an outstanding BMS, &VCULDC Update. Does anyone know what this additional BMS update is for? What is the recall or campaign # for it and what will it do? Has anyone else got it done?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Yes, get those done, too. Supposed to optimize charging and efficiency of your batteries.

4. I know I'm due for those last two as well but there doesn't seem to be any rush unless you're having charging issues. Numbering is 118 and 111 (respectively) for those.

5. Anaglypta

Anaglypta Active Member

UK
    electriceddy likes this.
  6. Paul DeLeon

Paul DeLeon Active Member

And these will do what?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Anaglypta

Anaglypta Active Member

UK
    Look at post number two and post number four!

From post two:-

Yes, get those done, too. Supposed to optimize charging and efficiency of your batteries.

From post four:-

"The updates improve the charging curves and monitoring logic."

John

Last edited: May 2, 2021
    BC-Doc and KiwiME like this.
  9. I got all of those done as well. Also US 2019 Ultimate:

10. Ed C

Ed C Active Member

Maybe I am wrong, but I am hearing news that Hyundai may not be replacing all batteries for their Kona EVs. Only batteries produced by LG Chem in Nanjing, China will be replaced.....which is a small total of all Kona EVs.

11. Based on what evidence?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

Well that would be a problem if I'm reducing range and the battery is not going to be replaced. $200 for this major inconvenience is a joke.
    My wife is terrified to drive the Kovid Kona after seeing the recall in the snail mail.

14. Permanent restrictions would expose Hyundai to fit-for-purpose liability so I can't see that happening. It does seem to be true that one factory produced faulty cells but it's not clear at all as to what fraction that is of the total on a global basis.

15. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

My understanding is that the recall is for LG batteries manufactured at the Chinese plant during a particular time period, which have been identified and the owners are receiving recall notices. I don't believe anyone has ever said that Hyundai is "replacing all batteries for their Kona EVs" so I believe you are correct in saying they aren't. Mine isn't being replaced, for example. I'm not sure what you are concerned about. Do you have reason to believe that you have one of the batteries identified as being manufactured in that plant during the recall window, and it is NOT being replaced?

16. It was pretty clear that they are replacing ALL batteries within a window of certain manufacturing dates. It was also very clear that they were NOT replacing batteries outside of that window.

17. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

I agree - that's how I understand it also.

18. Just dropped my car off for these latest updates and I took the opportunity to ask the service manager if he heard anything about availability dates for the batteries. He said no, and that there's no guarantee that I will get a new battery as it's limited to VIN number/Mfg. Date. Huh? I assumed that since I got the recall 200 notice, I qualify. Why the confusion? Am I missing something or is the dealership confused or Hyundai not properly communicating to them? It'd be nice if I knew how long I had to keep the max charge limited to 80%.

19. Dealers are always the last to know. If they appear to know they are invariably wrong.

EVPower likes this.