2017-2019 Chevy Bolt EV recall - Update* GM has a fix.

Discussion in 'Bolt EV' started by Domenick, Nov 13, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Claire Green

Claire Green Member

GM is offering owners a buyback option and a replacement option so yes, I think GM knows it is setting the tone for future ev sales. For once GM is taking care of their customers and trying hard to keep current owners "in the Chevy family".

rgmichel, electriceddy and Domenick like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. BoltSpark19

BoltSpark19 New Member

4. BoltSpark19

BoltSpark19 New Member

So, is GM, in fact, as of this date, 4-1-21, offering buybacks? Because from what I've seen, casually following this, that GM is not...that maybe some states' lemon law may or may not fit. Thanks.

rgmichel likes this.
  5. Claire Green

Claire Green Member

GM is offering owners three options when you call the chevrolet concierge phone number....
    1 rental car while waiting for the final solution to the recall
    2 buy back option where they take what you paid for your car and deduct usage fees for miles driven
    3 MSRP to MSRP trade/swap where GM takes the MSRP of your car and will trade or swap your old 2017 for a new Bolt (model year not specified) with a same or substantially the same equipment/options. Take note that it's a NEW Bolt not a CPO or used Bolt. Any difference between MSRP (because of wheel locks or floor mats) will be out of your pocket.
    The tricky part is getting past the first option so you have to be firm in refusing the rental car option ( insist on the rep opening a case for you and get the Service request number it's in this format SR 9- (10 digit number). Option #2 you get back what you paid for your 2017 plus taxes, fees, registration minus usage fees. Option #3 does not have usage fees and GM will pay for taxes, fees, registration of the new replacement Bolt. You have the option to upgrade to a Premier model for the additional cost of the difference in MSRP.
    I hope I am not breaking any rules by pointing members to a different Bolt owners website but for more info check out www.chevybolt.org
    Just a word of warning....patience and persistence is key because this is about a month long process with unresponsive GM customer reps who are swamped with 50-60,000 cases.
    Lemon laws have nothing to do with this buy back but GM treats owners from different states according to how robust or weak their lemon laws are and determines who gets approved and who's told to pound sand. Also the usage fees for the mileage deduction follows the formula used by the state lemon laws so that gives you an idea of how your miles will be calculated.

Zippynp and rgmichel like this.
  6. If it helps people with their situation, it's fine.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share all this here. Much appreciated.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Active Member

Question about this software update, for other Bolt EV owners:

Since getting the update, our 2017 has stopped charging "one bar" below full, and it has a lower range estimate than it would have had - 195 miles. This is partly due to the fact we drove it mostly on the highway, on the previous charge, but that is much lower than is normal for this point in the year, with warmer weather. 195 miles is more typical of winter driving. And before the fix for this, when it was set to charge to 100%, all the bars on the gauge were green, when charging was done.

What have you seen with your Bolt EV, after the software update?

rgmichel likes this.
  9. Not a Bolt EV owner, but could it just be charging to 80 or 90%.

10. NeilBlanchard

Right, it certainly seems like the new software is limiting the charging capacity - but I was under the understanding that it would have the same capacity as it did originally. I wasn't clear - this is the second update to the software, and that is why I am asking what others are seeing.

If this is the permanent fix from GM, then that is very disappointing.

11. I don't believe it's a permanent fix. Here's a statement about it from February:
    We’re continuing to investigate the root cause and our intention is to remove the 90% charge limit once the investigation has been completed and defective battery packs have been identified and replaced or repaired.

rgmichel likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Claire Green

Claire Green Member

approximately 75% of owners did not bother to get the first update because it limits charging to 90% and most owners can do that themselves by using hill top reserve and saving one trip to the dealer for a TEMPORARY fix. As far as the second and final update that is supposed to return battery charging back to 100% that update is scheduled to come out this month but I have yet to hear from any owner that has received the notice from GM to take their cars to the dealer for the second and final update. As far as I know the dealers don't have this update available to them so not sure what your second update did to your car. Another reason most owners don't do the first update is that you will lose hill top reserve feature if you do the first update. What this means is that you won't be able to turn off hill top reserve and charge to 100% if say you need a full charge for an upcoming long trip. Personally if I know in advance that I will need the full 238 miles tomorrow I will charge to 100% and park the car in the driveway so that the next day I start off with the full 100% charge and not 90% charge.

14. rgmichel

rgmichel Active Member

After this temporary fix, I am seeing 205 miles of range now Spring temperatures are here, maybe a little more. This is not adequate for long range driving the way I did in the past with my 2017 Bolt EV. I am beginning to be a bit nervous on this topic, and I will be even more nervous by the end of April, if there is no fix.

15. Claire Green

Claire Green Member

The April update is supposed to remove the 90% charging limit and return the affected Bolt to 100% battery charge. Since nobody has done this final update hard to say if 100% charge will bring back range to 238 miles. If you're not happy with the final fix I see 3 possible paths one could pursue.
    1 call the chevy concierge and request to have GM repurchase your Bolt
    2 join the class action lawsuit
    3 write to Administrator National Highway Traffic Safety Administration 400 7th street Washington DC 20590
    My humble suggestion is give GM a chance to satisfy your concerns by calling the chevy concierge phone number. GM wants to keep owners satisfied because how they handle this recall will have a bearing on how their future electric push will succeed.

Spoonman. and Domenick like this.
  16. rgmichel

rgmichel Active Member

I am waiting until the end of April before I start to do anything about this, because GM has said they will fix it by April. All these measures above seem a bit desperate for now. I am not sure its even necessary to start calling GM. I am sure my local dealer will hear something as soon as I do. I have a great dealer, so I am not concerned.

17. It seems GM now has a fix for these recalled cars.
    First, the problem:
    "GM believes the cause of five known fires is related to a rare manufacturing defect in the production of the battery cells by LG Chem in South Korea. The defect could result in a heat source or a short in a cell, which could cause a fire."

The solution:
    Dealerships will now be able to identify the issue with a special diagnostic tool. If a problem is detected, the dealer will "replace battery module assemblies."
    In addition, GM says the dealer will install software that can work to detect future issues before they occur.

If you own a 2019 Bolt, you could get your car fixed as soon as this week. However, GM plans to wait until the end of May to offer the fix to owners of 2017 and 2018 Bolt EVs.

NeilBlanchard likes this.
  18. NeilBlanchard

Thanks for the update, Domenick. This sounds like a good solution. I wonder if they are using a temperature sensor, to detect a telltale condition? Either way, they are able to find the problem cells, and people will get the whole capacity of their car's battery pack.

Domenick likes this.
  19. Devin_GSEVA

Devin_GSEVA New Member

Still miffed as to why they didn't start with the 2017-2018 since ALL of those MY's have the affected packs, while only a small number of the 2019's did.

Really sucks that I will have to wait another month to get all my capacity back.

Domenick and NeilBlanchard like this.
  20. I don't think it's an added temperature sensor. This is a software solution -- perhaps checking changes in impedance or something -- and will be included in all GM electric vehicles going forward.

21. racerx2005

racerx2005 Member

We have a 2019 model, did the first recall for the 90% charging cap; they actually limited our car to 95% though, and today we’re taking the car for the “ultimate” fix … that’s what you get with “Made in Korea” batteries, i.e. our car has a giant “Made in Korea” sticker on top the batteries ‍♂️

Here’s more details:

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1132138_2017-2019-chevy-bolt-ev-battery-issue-has-a-solution-dealership-visit-required

Excerpt from the article:
    “Once the remedy has been performed, customers will get the 90%-state-of-charge cap removed and be able to charge up to 100%. “

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

22. racerx2005

racerx2005 Member

just got back from the dealer … it turned out the battery in our car wasn’t affected by the melting/fire issue, so all they did was to remove the charging cap from the previous recall, so now we can charge up to 100% as before.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs