Torque steer?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by bmartinez028, Apr 23, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bmartinez028

bmartinez028 Active Member

Hi guys. Got on the freeway for the first time in our 22. In Sport mode around 60mph I gave it some juice and was immediately met with steering pull to the left. When I back off the throttle it goes straight. Is this normal for these cars? It’s not noticeable driving normal/around town.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

I need to try this. I have not punched it at speed yet.

bmartinez028 likes this.
  4. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

Yup, that's torque steer! :D

And, yes, that's normal for front wheel drive cars with a high torque output.

5. BernieNS

BernieNS New Member

You learn to hold the wheel a little tighter just before takeoff!

6. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

Torque steer is a real thing. I haven't noticed it on this one, but I came from a Mini previously so maybe I just hold the steering wheel tighter than most do now by default, so I don't even register it now. I have a highway drive today for some vinyl wrap. I'll check it out then.

MichaelC, bmartinez028 and GvilleGuy like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. mikeg0305

mikeg0305 Active Member

Noticed this as well. Haven’t felt torque steer in many many years, and I’m in my 40s. Most of my recent-ish cars have been awd (bmw 328i, Subbie WRX & BMW X5) but my 2012 GTI had pretty much none as VW did an amazing job there.

MichaelC and bmartinez028 like this.
  9. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Reportedly, Honda has managed to tame torque-steer to a significant degree on their 300+ hp Civic Type R, but all other hot FWD cars exhibit this trait. I actually love torque-steer as one of the few remaining artifacts of suspension/steering/power design. It's predictable and certainly not scary like when I was taking corners at high speeds in my old swing-axle VW bug.

MichaelC and bmartinez028 like this.
  10. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

Torque-steer is the main reason I do not like FWD

Recoil45, F14Scott and bmartinez028 like this.
  11. bmartinez028

bmartinez028 Active Member

Just took me by surprise. I had rented a 2021 on Turo back in January and didn’t notice this. We also have an eGolf which has absolutely no torque steer from a stop and not nearly as much power at 60 to notice.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

I get it all the time. The car has so much power, all being sent to the front wheels. I love how squirrelly it can get :)

I really hope they consider an AWD JCW EV. It should be easy for them to put another motor in the rear. That would be an absolute weapon.

14. insightman

In addition to eliminating part of the trunk area, MINI might have to shorten the battery to fit a motor back there. That motor would exact its toll on the battery charge, too. Would you be happy with an AWD JCW EV that offers 60 miles of range?

15. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

I would certainly give up the back seat. Never intend to put humans back there personally.

I'm not sure how much of a range hit there would be. The AWD Model 3 and Taycan have close range to their RWD variants. Most EVs (though not my e-tron) decouple one motor for better range on the highway. Presumably they are also working on a clean-sheet EV, which would save some weight.

AWD EVs are just nuts. Our e-tron seems to never lose grip. It will launch forward on just about any road condition.

16. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

The GP is the model with the back seat removed. An electric GP would be the car to put a rear motor in.

17. insightman

But if you make a more powerful MINI Electric and fill that back seat area with batteries to get more than 110 miles of range, your MINI Electric will weigh 2 tons. It's going to take next-gen battery technology to find a better the power/range/weight sweet spot than the one in which our MINI Cooper SEs sit.

Right now, increase power (bigger or more motors) and maintain range and you get more weight. Increase power and maintain weight and you lose range. Increase range and maintain weight and you have to give up power.

If battery tech improved tomorrow, I'd install a lighter 32.6 kWh battery in my SE, continue to be happy with the SE's current range, and enjoy both the improved power-to-weight ratio and better cornering.

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  18. vader

vader Well-Known Member

I haven't noticed much (if any) torque steer. Like others, before the MINI I had a little turbo fwd thing which probably got me used to it. Could also be temperature of the tyres etc. In the wet, when the traction control is working overtime, punching it causes a little squirm, but still nothing compared to, well pretty much any car I have driven previously.

19. Norbu72

Norbu72 Active Member

Definitely torque steer. Many of the video reviewers talk about it. Some people don’t like it but I think it’s a kick. Like taming the wild beast. My old ICE Cooper S did it too.

miatadan and insightman like this.
  20. vader

vader Well-Known Member

I did a bit of research, and most of the things that would cause torque steer are out of our control (eg, different efficiencies of the drive shafts to each wheel). There are, however, some things we can control. If MINI did their homework, and the mehanicals are good, then tyre contact patch is the next major thing. Tyre wall strength, pressure and body roll are things that can be controlled to some degree. 17 inch rims result in tyres with smaller, stiffer side walls so would naturally get less difference in contact patch size. Similarly, a lower pressure results in a larger contact patch which in turn means slight differences result in propotionately less difference in the contact patch. I tested my car by flooring it with my hands "off" the wheel - ok, very light pressure. No torque steer. My wheels are 17 inch, goodyear eagle f1 at performance pressure (35 psi front, 32 rear). This of course relies on the car going straight. When you turn the wheels, all bets are off :)

miatadan likes this.