Real World "Fuel" Economy

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by CIvan, Apr 20, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. CIvan

CIvan New Member

Hello everyone. Long time lurker. First time buyer.

I bought my 2018 base model out of state. The drive home was over undulating hills into a slight headwind with speeds between 50 and 70 MPH (but predominately at 65). Temperatures ranged from the low 50’s to the low 60’s. My first two tanks covered 573 miles with approximately 549 in HV mode. In HV mode I averaged 47 MPG (as measured by gas purchased).

I think that’s pretty good for a 4K pound car. Probably a little bit better than my 2,500 lb Honda Fit would do. Based on what others have said, driving at 70-75 MPH would have caused a significant reduction in MPG, so YMMV.

My first full charge showed an estimated range of 43.4 EV miles. After 33.9 EV miles, my SOC was still at 50%, so I’m pretty sure I would have blown past 43 miles. My second full charge shows 48.9 miles of estimated range. So things are looking up.

Thanks for everyone’s help. Without this forum and YouTube videos, I would have been extremely confused by all the bells and whistles. As it was, I was only slightly confused.

JFon101231 likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

I drove from CT to Ohio and back in 2019 across several days and agree its a great longer distance car (one of several benefits vs my Fit EV). I charged in hotel parking lots each night and driving ~75 mph I still averaged over 50mpg combined.

Driving to the mountains in NH the impact of hills is made pretty clear as the average is closer to 40ish (I dont really check)

4. CIvan

CIvan New Member

Speaking of driving up and down hills: I noticed when I was going downhill, the EV light would often come on. Does that mean the engine is running in “neutral” or does the engine actually shut off?

Also, on a long downhill, will the Clarity let you shift into neutral so you can coast? I was reluctant to try…

5. BB7BDF78-BF33-4985-95F5-6D23E077E9C9.jpeg

DaleL, turtleturtle and JFon101231 like this.
  6. Johnhenkles

Johnhenkles New Member

It probably would, but other than it being a terrible idea (https://www.mercurynews.com/2014/05/30/roadshow-downhill-in-neutral-is-illegal-and-dumb-and-a-lot-of-drivers-do-it/) you would probably loose out on recapturing any kinetic energy, which is like, the whole point of a hybrid.

To answer your original question, my real world fuel (gas only) economy has been 42mpg indicated on the dash but 40mpg using a calculator. This was driving I-5 on mostly flat ground, with family and luggage, and keeping up with traffic which between Stockton and LA means 75-80mph.

DaleL likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. The situation described in that article does not apply to a Clarity. The engine will most likely shut off when going downhill, HV Charge would be the exception. And the car would actually be able to increase the amount of stored energy if speed were allowed to increase by freewheeling downhill. This would be “free” energy. It is possible, with a significant grade, for speed to increase with the lowest set level of regen or if the accelerator is manipulated to hold the power meter at the neutral position. The base level of regen provides a similar experience to an ICE vehicle when the foot is lifted off the accelerator. Some, myself included, find this feature somewhat annoying.

9. Johnhenkles

Johnhenkles New Member

We are talking the letter "N" on the gear shift, not neutral as in charging/discharging. If the vehicle is shifted into neutral "N", is it using Regen or friction when braking? I'm assuming all switches are put in the open position meaning no re-capture.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  10. CIvan

CIvan New Member

Landshark, I’m amazed that the engine is shutting off going downhill. I didn’t feel or hear anything. Maybe I’ll turn off the radio next time to see if there is a loss of engine sound / vibration.

I also wish there was a zero regen setting.

JohnHenkles, I’ve driven manual transmission cars my entire life. There are places around town I know to shift into neutral and I can coast up to half a mile. If I leave the car in gear, it will slow down too much, and I will have to keep my foot on the gas to maintain speed. Going down hills on the highway, I will throw the stick into neutral (traffic willing, of course) until my speed increases too much, then I will put it into gear and let the engine slow me down. On most hills, if I leave the car in gear from the start, the car will slow too much, even going down a big hill.

I know that coasting in neutral is slightly dangerous, but I also know I can find a gear quickly, and it’s probably one of the least dangerous things I do over the course of my life.

If I was in neutral going downhill in a Clarity, I would shift back to drive when my speed increased, to capture the regen. Like you, I assume that I would have no regen when in neutral, because regen would defeat the purpose of freewheeling. Maybe somebody on this forum has some experience with coasting in neutral and can chip in here…

11. rodeknyt

rodeknyt Active Member

When you have the gear selector in N, there is no regen. Any braking you do is with friction brakes only.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Danks

Danks Active Member

I remember our first trip through the mountains in Pennsylvania. I especially remember driving down a mountain in HV mode at 70 mph, the engine was off, and I was gaining battery from regen.

14. Johnhenkles

Johnhenkles New Member

There might be some gains when coasting up, probably better served feathering the accelerator, keeping it in the green re-gen section for as long as possible, in those instances. As for going down, I'm lucky enough to have a '19 where the re-gen and cruise control combo holds my speed so I really don't see the point in making a sawtooth speed graph.

I guess the better question is the clarity is better able to put the energy in the battery over the coarse of the entire hill or spinning up the generator up to 10k rpm for 5 seconds every half mile. We can ask the guy who commutes down hill to work and was talking about filling his car with rocks to charge his car.

15. My apologies if mentioning keeping the power needle in the neutral position caused confusion with the discussion of the shift selector being in the neutral position.

I don’t know what is used for braking when the shift selector has been placed in neutral. I haven’t done it. If the power needle swings to regen, then it would suggest that regen is being implemented rather than friction brakes.

My suggestion was that if the car could be allowed to freely accelerate from 60mph to 80mph going down hill, some of that additional kinetic energy could be recaptured through regenerative braking as the vehicle is brought back to the starting speed of 60mph. I believe that would be a slight gain compared to holding the speed at 60mph with a click or two of the paddle. In all, it is probably just picking fly s#it out of pepper.

16. If EV is showing on the display, the ICE is not running.

DaleL likes this.
  17. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Another way to tell if the engine has shut off is when the image of the engine goes dark at the top of the Clarity's energy display.

upload_2021-4-21_22-45-50.png

18. CIvan

CIvan New Member

I left home today with 50.3 miles on the EV GOM in 60 degree weather. After 50 miles of mixed city, rural and highway driving, there was still 10.7 miles left. I used the A/C for the last 15 miles or so. Definitely one of the big reasons I bought this car.

19. CIvan

CIvan New Member

After a full overnight charge (120V), my EV GOM now reads 56 miles. So I’m wondering, what is the highest EV GOM anyone has ever seen and what is the highest actual EV miles on one charge? I’m guessing they are both well into the 60’s…

20. 545F31E4-9755-41BB-B4C1-DA65D80435AB.jpeg 545F31E4-9755-41BB-B4C1-DA65D80435AB.jpeg I have traveled 66-67 miles in EV.

21. CIvan

CIvan New Member

Holy cow, Landshark! What made your car think it could go 102 miles?

22. The car bases EV range estimates on how it was previously driven. In the case above, I was near the end of a long trip using HV. The EV gauge had dropped ~3 bars and range was ~42 miles. Having just crested a mountain summit, I switched the car to EV for the 6-8 mile descent. At the bottom, EV range had increased to ~80 miles, and after a full charge the display showed 102 miles.

23. PHEVDave

PHEVDave Active Member

Just four days ago I fully charged the Clarity. Over the last four days I’ve driven 46 miles in EV mode without overnight charging. The range-o-meter is saying I still have 22 miles to go and I’m guessing I’ll actually get a little more than that. The battery is showing at 50%. We’ve had temperatures in the 70-80s the last few days and that really helps a lot. All of my driving has been in town at no faster than 40 mph.