Tires (Summer/Winter/All-Season)

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Puppethead, Sep 7, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

So there are now two different widths of silver Revolite wheels: The new 2022 electric Revolite and the older, skinnier non-electric Revolite? Confusing.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

wessy, polyphonic and GvilleGuy like this.
  4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

That is very exciting. I like that Michelin used knowledge from Formula E to make an EV-friendly performance tire. I almost can't wait for my current tires to wear out.

Which brings to mind I always rely on regular maintenance visits to find out when my tires are going bald. But there's never any maintenance on an EV. I better invest in a depth gauge.

wessy, MichaelC and F14Scott like this.
  5. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

wessy, GetOffYourGas, Lainey and 3 others like this.
  6. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

I love the concept of the Pilot Sport EVs. Unfortunately, the article says the tires will be sized 18 - 22". Since Mini won't sell us an SE with 18s, this would require also buying four new wheels. That won't be in my budget for a while.

Lainey likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. MichaelC

...Which is why I look forward to more announcements like this, e.g. for 17" sizes.

Conventional wisdom assumes "sporty" cars require 18" or larger wheels, but I prefer not to go any larger than 17" if I can help it. My real-world driving involves surfaces that are not well-groomed driving courses.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  9. Puppethead

Since I don't handle cash anymore the only cent I could find is this, will it work?

[​IMG]

The problem with Lincoln's head is lack of scientific measurement. I like a hard number in millimeters for my tread depth. And I can't believe the US measures in 32nds of an inch. Millimeters seems so much more useful in this situation.

I found this interesting article on tread depth safety (millimeters, of course).

F14Scott likes this.
  10. insightman

I just want a good-handling tire and don't care about one that can supposedly "boost range by up to 37 miles." As every automotive journalist knows, we MINI Cooper SE drivers HATE range, right?

wessy, Lainey, MichaelC and 1 other person like this.
  11. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

Totally!

Funny enough my dealer called for a follow up. To see how it was going and if my range was okay. I'm laughing because it would be a rare day for me to do more than 50 miles

MichaelC and GvilleGuy like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Puppethead

Gee, I go at least 80 miles every day, am I doing it wrong? :D

(Side effect of having to go into office every day and having a long commute. Weekends are just for fun, though.)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    Lainey, MichaelC and GvilleGuy like this.
  14. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

Absolutely not! I'm just a suburbanite who has most everything just a few miles away lol

15. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

I've had a great experience with Michelin Primacy AS, and Pilot Sport 4 A/S. On dry roads the primacies have really good grip for an eco tire, good noise too. This announcement is pretty exciting!

GvilleGuy likes this.
  16. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

That 37 miles needs to be highly qualified. In reality, it will be a percentage boost, not an absolute. According to the article, in the fine print it says "the difference (2.1kg/t) equates to more than 60km of additional range, or more than 10 percent of the original range." Only Teslas get this kind of range (600 km / 370 miles). For us, it would be a much more meager boost of 11 miles. Anyone here still interested? For the likely price boost, I would have to pass.

17. MichaelC

My interest in Michelin's announcement is in the fact that any tire manufacturer is finally shifting away from the mentality of "EV tires must be efficient at all costs (like reduced handling)" and towards "EV tires can offer great handling performance and good efficiency".

This particular model is clearly aimed at Taycans, hi-performance Teslas and the like, so extreme range gains probably aren't going to sell more tires to those drivers. But this signals the start of an industry shift that will eventually offer benefits to those of us who enjoy sporty, great-handling EVs which don't have hundreds of miles of range.

Next, I would love to see aftermarket wheels that are lightweight, fairly aero-efficient, but not ugly as sin (and fit our cars).

18. Puppethead

This is true, except I think other factors may need to be considered. I'm convinced the SE electric motor is one of the more efficient ones on the market. And the car is a lot lighter than a Tesla. Even with that, 10% gain is pretty huge just from changing tires. I'd totally consider doing it when it comes time to replace my tires. But not for 18" ones!

GvilleGuy and GetOffYourGas like this.
  19. GvilleGuy

Hopefully 17s will be an option at some point.

MichaelC likes this.
  20. Puppethead

I'm getting my Power Spoke summer wheels put back on, and the reason I couldn't use the center caps on my winter wheels is because the Power Spokes don't have center caps! It looks like they do, but the yellow MINI center part is actually molded into the cover.

coronahub.jpg

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    Lainey likes this.
  21. GvilleGuy

My 2022 Mini is at the dealer. My salesman sent a close up photo of the scissor spokes - I'm liking them! But I can't tell what type of Hankook 17s these are. Can anyone tell from this partial photo?

Andy's new wheels.jpg

MichaelC likes this.
  22. insightman

Nice rims! Here's one of my SE's Hankook Ventus S1 evo 3 tires so you can stare at a different image for a long time trying to match it up. I like them a lot--especially because they don't squeal at the slightest hint of hard cornering.

upload_2021-4-14_17-39-35.png

GvilleGuy likes this.
  23. GvilleGuy

Thank you! After I posted this my salesman emailed that my Mini would be sitting out at the dealer tonight (I think on the charger) where I can get to it. So I’m going to drive over there shortly and try to find it.