Charge limits imposed on Bluelink

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by NRH, Apr 11, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. BC-Doc

BC-Doc Member

Engnrng,

I’ve received no information from Hyundai Canada regarding my defective battery. I learned about it through this forum and verified that my car is under recall through the Hyundai Canada Recall Finder website. When I contacted the service counter at my local dealer, I was told, “You have a couple of recall updates outstanding” but they were not able to explain what they were for too me.

Step one of the update was performed last week— “photos and a software update” according to the service rep. At the end of the update, not only was my level 2 charging not lowered to 80 percent from the 100% where I keep it, but the level 3 limit was actually increased to 100% from the 80% where I had it set. So Hyundai sent me home with a car that is potentially even more dangerous than the one I brought in!

When I asked the service rep when I might expect a battery replacement, I was told, “We don’t know if you are getting one until Hyundai Canada looks at the photos we are sending them.”

Clearly, the left hand doesn’t know what the right hand is doing. No one from the dealer or Hyundai Canada has even notified at this point that my battery is defective (a potential bomb) and that I need to lower the charging limit and park my car outside and away from anything else that I don’t want to go up in smoke.

Despite a lack of any communication on Hyundai’s part, I otherwise really like the car and am not exceedingly worried about being turned into a human cannonball.

I remain grateful to this forum and my fellow posters for letting me know about the recall.

FloridaSun, Tappets, navguy12 and 3 others like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Don't forget to ask them for the $250 inconvenience gift card.

"We strongly recommend you also visit your dealership to either verify or adjust the ‘Max battery %’ level to ensure it has been adjusted to 80%. Please contact the dealership to request service under Service Campaign 10D059 (C0415). This service will be provided to you AT NO CHARGE. Once Hyundai verifies your visit to the dealership you will be entitled to a $250 gift card for your attention to this matter. You will need to provide the dealer with a valid email address and allow 20 business days for processing. "

navguy12, Wildeyed and XtsKonaTrooper like this.
  4. Did you actually read this somewhere? It's in quotes but I have not seen or received this either. No communication from Hyundai Canada yet at all.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  5. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

Yeah enquiring minds wanna know, that's alot of Timmy coffees before Timmys bans me from the drive thru line. It's like having a covid infected car, nobody wants to be around you, if they are aware of the potential risk. Lol

navguy12 likes this.
  6. Mark Gregory

Mark Gregory New Member

Can’t blame you for being upset, I think I would also in that situation. I’m giving Hyundai the benefit of the doubt. My email said the limit was “for a few days”. Maybe they need to compile some data to see if this limit will impact any potential fire hazards? I figured I could override the setting from my dash anyway if it comes down to it as others seemed to have done.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. As I am reading to all of these post, here is what I am thinking, Hyundai will not foul around with the Bluelink nor the info system for your charging settings... They will instead adjust directly the settings on the BMS (battery management system) when they do recalls so even changing your charge limit, the battery will be safely within the max value that avoid the fire risks. Do not forget, if I am right, that cars that caught fire where on charge and over 80% settings, which means while driving the car on the road, the risk is mostly impossible...

9. Yup its on the official Hyundai Canada corporate recall notice. If you go the Hyundai Canada recall site https://www.hyundaicanada.com/en/owners-section/recalls and plug in your VIN and when your vehicle shows the incomplete recall, at the bottom of the incomplete R0183 (TBAR0183) recall statement there will a PDF link to this document titled "Safety recall notice"

The PDF text in its entirety is below, enjoy :)

Dear Hyundai Owner: This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act. This is to inform you that your vehicle may contain a defect that could affect the safety of a person. Hyundai has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in your vehicle, with the VIN shown above. Hyundai is conducting a safety recall in Canada to address a potential condition with the electric vehicle (“EV”) lithium-ion (“Li-ion’) battery that could result in a fire in certain model year 2019 – 2020 Kona EV, and 2020 Ioniq EV vehicles. The purpose of this letter is to explain what the recall is about and to keep you informed of Hyundai’s recall implementation plan. We are currently making preparations to implement the safety recall remedy which when available, will be performed at no cost to you. We will send you another notification when the remedy is available. We request that any vehicle lessor receiving this recall notice forward a copy to the lessee within 10 working days, as required by the Motor Vehicle Safety Act. What is the problem? The subject vehicles are equipped with battery cells manufactured in the LG Energy Solutions China (Nanjing) plant in which the Anode (Negative) tab can be folded. A folded Anode tab in the battery cell could allow the Lithium plating on the Anode tab to contact the Cathode resulting in an electrical short. An electrical short internally within battery cell(s) increases the risk of a vehicle fire while parked, charging and/or driving. What should you do in the interim? We appreciate your patience. Hyundai is currently making preparations to implement the recall remedy. You will receive a second notification letter when the remedy is available. The Battery System Assembly will be inspected, and replaced - if necessary. If the Malfunction Indicator Light is illuminated in your vehicle, you should seek service at your Hyundai dealer as soon as possible. For updated information regarding this recall, please visit: https://R0183info.ca/ In the meantime, owners are recommended to perform the following: • Adjust or confirm your vehicle’s ‘Max charge %’ level to 80%. This can be done manually at home using the infotainment system with these steps: o Turn the vehicle ignition ON without starting the engine. o Depending on radio, select: EV on display screen (7 in.) or battery display (10.25 in.) o Select Energy Information. o Select DC Charger. o Press the Minus (-) Sign until the charger percentage reaches 80%. o Select OK when complete. o Perform the same steps once more for the AC Charger. o Both the DC and AC charge percentage will now be set and displayed at 80%. • We strongly recommend you also visit your dealership to either verify or adjust the ‘Max battery %’ level to ensure it has been adjusted to 80%. Please contact the dealership to request service under Service Campaign 10D059 (C0415). This service will be provided to you AT NO CHARGE. Once Hyundai verifies your visit to the dealership you will be entitled to a $250 gift card for your attention to this matter. You will need to provide the dealer with a valid email address and allow 20 business days for processing. • Until the ‘Max charge %’ level has been set to 80%, park and charge your vehicle outside and away from structures. Please note that your vehicle’s charging capacity will be restored to the original factory settings after the recall remedy is implemented. For a list of Electric Certified Hyundai dealers, please visit www.hyundaicanada.com. What if you have other questions? If you require further assistance, we recommend that you contact the Hyundai Auto Canada Corp. Customer Relations Department online at www.hyundaicanada.com/en/about/helpcentre or at the following toll-free telephone number: 1-888-216-2626 (French or English). Thank you for your attention to this important safety matter. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Hyundai Auto Canada Corp.

10. That must be fairly new. I looked at my online VIN recalls not that long ago, but never saw the part about 80% charge limit and the $250 gift car.

Wildeyed, BC-Doc and XtsKonaTrooper like this.
  11. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

Same same.
    That prolly explains why my dealership, is not in a hurry to do all my recalls. Lol

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. The other interesting thing is the specific recall update web site https://R0183info.ca/ noted in the PDF does not seem to work.

XtsKonaTrooper likes this.
  14. MithDave

MithDave New Member

I have the opposite problem. I set my battery charging to 80% as I rarely need a full charge, I’ve also researched that is best to keep your battery between 20-80 percent. My problem is that this setting quite often goes back to 100% on its own.

while I try to keep it at 80% when I do a long drive I change it back to 100 for anxiety sake.

15. It's not real until Hyundai gets off it's butt and snail mails it. Posting it on an obscure website is literally the least they could do.

navguy12 likes this.
  16. So to confirm, if I let the dealer do all the recalls, my charge limit will be set to 80%, and I can NOT change it? That seems different than the US where they can still change it on the car.

17. Jimct

Jimct Active Member

Just received this email from Hyundai:

"Thank you for bringing your EV vehicle in to the dealership for the recommended reduction in “Max Battery %” and inspection associated with Recall 200. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience of reducing your maximum battery charge level. Hyundai is currently making preparations to implement the recall remedy. You will receive a notification letter when the remedy is available.

Since you have already completed the max battery charge reduction, there is nothing further that you need to do at this time. You can park your car normally and charge up to 80%. If the Malfunction Indicator Light is illuminated in your vehicle, you should seek service at your Hyundai dealership as soon as possible.

Click the link below to confirm your $200 dollar payment. Spend your card at any location that accepts Visa cards, either online or in store.

If you have questions about this email or why you are receiving this payment, please visit the contact us page at www.hyundaiusa.com

All of us at Hyundai value your business and strive to provide you with the best customer experience. We work hard to be deserving of your trust and appreciate the opportunity to make this right for you.

Sincerely,

Paul Imhoff
    Director, Customer Experience
    Hyundai Motor America

Gsbrryprk8 likes this.
  18. And what does this mean "The Battery System Assembly will be inspected, and replaced - if necessary." I thought all batteries that were manufactured before a certain date and by LG Chem were to be replaced. Or will there be additional diagnostics performed to determine whether my battery might fail or not?

19. That was not my experience, I just showed him I was capable of changing it myself to 80%. If you have difficulty with the change all they should do is make the non permanent change in your infotainment. This is is all some sort of weird Hyundai "limit our liability" exercise.

navguy12 likes this.
  20. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

I have to believe the "if necessary" is simply lawyer-added language to not close the door on any possibility. Realistically there is no way for them to check each anode to see if it is folded, and I believe there are hundreds of them in each pack (someone with more knowledge of the tech of this battery can probably confirm/correct this).

21. Paul DeLeon

Paul DeLeon Active Member

To me, it's simple.
    Our car has a defective battery. The manufacturer should replace the defective part. If the part is not available, the manufacturer should provide customers with loaners until it is.
    That's what they do with defective air bags etc.