2 different Michelin Energy Saver A/S designs

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Robert_Alabama, Apr 12, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

We've talked about this ad nauseam, but I thought I'd post a link to a pic that clearly shows the two different tire designs (I stumbled on the pic on ebay). The tire on the left is the Energy Saver A/S without the lip to protect the wheel. The one on the right (with less cuts in the tread design) is the one with the lip. Just thought a clear side by side photo of the two designs might be of interest.

Energy Saver Tires.jpg

Pooky likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. d99

d99 Member

Perhaps I need a vision upgrade, but the difference must be so subtle that I can't see it.

4. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

This photo does NOT show the difference in the lips... That was addressed elsewhere.
    It shows that there is also a slight difference in the tread patterns between the two. Look carefully at the number of cuts in each tread segment.

Madmartigen and d99 like this.
  5. d99

d99 Member

yes, I can now see the tread patterns--- you're talking really subtle differences.
    My original tires, and the two replacements three years later are all like the tire on the left, no lip. My rims have a lot of scratches on them.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
    Madmartigen likes this.
  6. MrFixit

We got a small curb rash early-on, and that revealed the problem. Since then, we have been ultra-cautious and have avoided additional damage. I have never had a car where the rim hut the curb before the tire does, and will certainly make sure replacement tires don't have this same problem.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. The most noticeable difference is the pattern in the center. One tire has blocks of 3 and 4, whereas the other has blocks of 2 and 3. The edge pattern is the same, 2 narrow cuts between 2 wider cuts. The spacing of those cuts is different between the 2 tires. Without having 2 tires side by side it would be difficult to determine which tire is which by looking at the edges. The center pattern is a dead giveaway.

Robert_Alabama likes this.
  9. Lakin Zoe

Lakin Zoe New Member

Overall, the Michelin Energy Saver A/S tire is widely regarded as one of the best power-saving tires available today. Its responsiveness and grip allow riders to drive at higher speeds in dry conditions while maintaining good control in turns.

10. Robert_Alabama

We now know that the tire on the left in the first pic of this thread is the OEM tire with some foam added for sound deadening. The one on the right is the non-OEM tire with a deeper lip to somewhat protect the rim.

11. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

The swish-swish-swish from my rusty brake discs overwhelms any acoustic advantage the foam is supposed to contribute. When my OEMs wear out, I'll stick with the Michelins but opt for more rim protection (and lower cost) in lieu of the foam.

megreyhair likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. MrFixit

I remain unconvinced that the non-OEM Michelin Energy Saver A/S has this protective 'lip'.
    Everything I have seen indicates that the only difference between the "Honda" and the more generic version of this tire is the presence of the internal foam. It is hard to believe that Michelin maintains two different molds for what amounts to the exact same tire...

Can you provide a link to something that specifically identifies that this lip is indeed on one and not the other? I am thinking that neither has a lip...

Last edited: May 23, 2023
  14. Robert_Alabama

I've seen them in a side by side comparison. I didn't know at the time to check the foam on the inside. The non-OEM definitely has a significant "lip" as compared to the OEM. I seem to remember posting some pics on the forum, but I didn't readily find them.
    Here's a link to some forum discussions with some pics:
    https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/energy-saving-tires.10314/page-2

Last edited: May 23, 2023
  15. Michelin lists some features that are available on some of their tires. Their website did not indicate that the Energy Saver has the MAT. This begs the question: Does any version, OEM or aftermarket, of the Energy Saver utilize the highly visible yellow foam? And, if they do, why did Honda feel compelled to install noise canceling resonators on the wheels? IMG_2725.jpeg IMG_2726.jpeg

16. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

people reported the foam came off after driving for a few thousand miles. :(

17. MrFixit

FWIW,

I just had a 'chat' with a Tire Rack agent. I specifically asking him which tires they have that are both low rolling resistance (LRR, geared to EV use), AND have a 'rim protection' feature. Although 'rim protection' is not listed on their web site, the agent has a different database where he claimed he could identify such. He gave me 3 tires that meet both of these criteria:

GOODYEAR ELECTRICDRIVE GT
    PIRELLI P ZERO ALL SEASON PLUS ELECT
    MICHELIN PRIMACY MXM4

He also confirmed that the Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires do not have a specific 'rim protection' feature.

I wish there was a way to quantitatively compare rolling resistance between tires, but although the industry may get there eventually, there just doesn't seem to be a standardized published value yet.

18. Based on the information available on the Michelin website, delamination of acoustic foam would not be a concern with the Energy Saver since Michelin does not indicate that the tire has that feature.

In my opinion, this foam is a marketing gimmick. Passenger vehicle tires are not inherently noisy and while the foam may reduce harmonics inside the tire, it will not reduce the noise made by the tire rolling along the road.

19. Michelin shows 2, Energy Saver 235/45R18 tire options. One appears to have a Honda designation, the other, a Lexus designation. The listed specs are identical, with the exception that the Lex option is 1.1lbs heavier.

Perhaps Lexus fits the tire to a wider wheel than Honda and called for slightly wider tire that still complies with the stated aspect ratio? IMG_2730.jpeg

20. Lakin Zoe

Lakin Zoe New Member

This Michelin Energy Saver A/S tire features siped independent tread blocks, which improves all-season traction. The design has circumferential and lateral grooves to effectively disperse water and prevent hydroplaning.