Listed the Kona for sale...

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by FloridaSun, Apr 9, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I really don't want to come off as second guessing your decisions. You absolutely need to do what's right for your situation. The model Y seems like a great car. I think if I was in the market again I would be really considering it as well. Alas in my situation it doesn't make any reasonable sense to take the financial hit to move into a model Y.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Main reason for me is the lack of Level 3 chargers in South Texas where we have family. Need the Supercharging Network. Flights there are super expensive as it's a small airport which would cost us $1600 each time we fly there (family of 4). To get there with the Kona, we would have to drive 150 extra miles and once we get there, we would be stranded and stuck with one single 24 hour publicly accessible Level 2 charger.. Don't really feel like hanging out 7 hours at the BMW dealership to get my Kona charged up.. So, it has to be a Tesla.. Model X is too expensive. I could "afford" it but I don't want to spend this kind of money on a car.. Model 3 is too small.. So, Model Y is the default choice..

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    Domenick likes this.
  4. FloridaSun

Every time we would fly to my wife's family in the McAllen area, we would drop $1400.. We used to go there at least TWICE per year.. $2800 per year for the flights plus rental car there plus gasoline etc. etc. etc.. There are no planned Level 3 chargers between Houston and McAllen... It could be years until they open chargers down there.. There are Superchargers on the shortest route and several in South Texas.. Easy to get there with a Tesla..

5. Yeah, just a 25kW one at Corpus Christi. Hard to believe that more and bigger ones won't be coming there very soon.

6. FloridaSun

Check the price at Corpus Cristi.. $135 for 40kw of charge..(in the best case scenario). Most expensive charger in the world.. Would never use that one.
    I would have to go to San Antonio and then the only charger to get to McAllen would be this 50kw charger..

https://www.plugshare.com/location/268373

Tesla has a Supercharger in Victoria, near Corpus Cristi and 3 in South Texas (Rio Grande Valley)

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Who owns it? One of the oil companies?

Here in Oz, we have one company that was initially charging 25c/min + 35c/kWh for their 350kW charger. They now bite 60c/kWh, while their closest competitor is charging 40c/kWh (32c/kWh if you belong to the right motoring association).
    No prizes for guessing where most folk go.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  9. Yeah, that's crazy.
    Harley Davidson. We those here, too, but they are all free.

10. FloridaSun

Harley Davidson owns it. It used to be free but because it's the only fast charger within 150 miles, lots of people started charging there, so HD raised the prices so that less people would use the charger..

11. FloridaSun

Brandon Harley Davidson is free here in the Tampa Bay area but Lakeland Harley Davidson in my town charges $3 per hour + 10 cents per kwh which is reasonable..

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Hmmm. Nothing like a monopoly for making extortionist profits...
    Hey, Electrify America - big opportunity in southern Texas.

14. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

Boy everyone is in a state of panic keep charging it tp 100% what are the odds of it blowing up.
    You will get a new battery and your resale will be great just like a new car. I have seen a few Tesla Y's and the fit and finish is not very good. Keep calm don't panic over this recall.

BC-Doc likes this.
  15. FloridaSun

People from the area have petitioned EVGO and Electrify to add chargers there but no plans as of yet.

16. You can also list it on MYEV.com, which is free.

I really hope you stick around the Forum, @BlueKonaEV. It's been great having you here and we don't really have a much Model Y-related info :). The Tesla forums tend, as one might expect, to attract the vast majority of owners.

It's been interesting reading your reasoning for going with Model Y. Just curious, has your experience with Kona soured you on that brand's future electrics?
    I expect the Electrify America buildout to eventually cover your needs, but I'm guessing the timeframe for that doesn't work for you (not that I'm trying to dissuade you from going with Model Y. I rather like that car. Even more than I thought I would, after seeing them in person).

17. russ36363

russ36363 New Member

Though while the Tesla rep on Friday told me they were not taking in the car, I got an estimate email about 30 minutes ago anyways. $7400. Insane lowball.

Luckily my impulse posts from Friday didn't get too impulsive and after seeing a bit more of the Model Y, I'm really not a fan of the exterior looks.

18. Obese dumpling.

19. FloridaSun

I may keep the Kona for a little.. Convinced the wife that we trade in the BMW i3 and later, after the recall, she can trade the Kona for another i3.. Let's see how much Tesla offers us for the i3..