New member with questions

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Pete H., Apr 10, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. New member here. I am now a little more than two weeks as the new owner of a 2018 Clarity PHEV Touring. Only had ~7400 miles on it. I would love to know the backstory on it. The CarFax showed that about 5000 miles of it was put on in six months. One owner supposedly.

Still trying to get a handle on the gas/electricity usage and mileages. Took a 1200 mile round trip to visit family, almost all interstate and in HV mode. Coming back on a Sunday on I-10 type roads, I was deliberately pushing 80 mph when I could. Got something like 35-37 mpg. Have another trip coming up where I will take it slower and see what I get.

I don't think I will ever get the EV range around town. This is south Texas. You use the AC full blast at least 9 months out of the year.

Still digesting the owner's manual, etc. Question for the experts. I saw an image of the cute power flow animation ON THE INFO SCREEN. Can you do that or did somebody photoshop that? Want to know how, if it is possible. Thank you.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. The AC isn't that big a power draw (the resistive heating is much worse), and at in-town speeds you have much less air resistance, so you may actually surprise yourself.

As for the screen, try Home > Info > Vehicle Energy-that may be what you are looking for.

4. 36mpg is what we have measured on 3 long trips at 80mph. The car calculated 40mpg.

The energy/power flow display can be viewed on either the center screen or the dash.

5. Danks

Danks Active Member

I just drove from northern Georgia to Michigan. Mostly I-75 at 70 mph running on snow tires. We got 47 mpg. We typically get 45 mpg freeway driving at 70 mph in warmer weather. Down to around 35 mpg in the winter at 70 mph.

6. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

We get 42 mpg on the highway in HV mode. I suspect you'd get much better mpg if you stay under 70mph.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I’ll have some “low speed” results at the end of the month. I’ll be towing a trailer with the Jeep and the dear wife will be following in the Clarity for 700 miles. I plan to not exceed 65mph.

9. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

Using ACC seems to improve my mileage during highway driving - plus having no less than half a charge allows the Clarity to use electricity from the battery more frequently, requiring less fuel to be burned.