Listed the Kona for sale...

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by FloridaSun, Apr 9, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Test drove the Tesla Model Y today and will in all likelyhood buy one.. Tesla won't take the Kona as trade in due to pending recall.. So I need to sell privately..

Asking $25k.. 2019 Kona EV SEL, 48600 miles. No issues.. Only the pending recall.. Fantastic range..Car is in Central Florida

20210407_192120.jpg 20210407_192125.jpg 20210407_190016.jpg 20210407_192044.jpg

1st-KonaEV-in-FL likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

Good luck. In Oregon - "moderate-income Oregonians can save an additional $2,500 on qualifying new or used EVs."

Domenick and FloridaSun like this.
  4. I have a 2020 Kona EV and it only has 3000 miles. I thought to sell it, and Carvana offered me $37,800 for it. Much more than I thought, but didn't bite. This was about 1 month ago before the official announcement of the battery.

5. russ36363

russ36363 New Member

I'm in the same boat - keeping it at 80% won't meet my needs, and it's just going to be a liability keeping it around with all the BS that's going on now.

I spent yesterday/this morning trying to get quotes - got the same response from Tesla and Carvana that they aren't taking them currently due to the recalls. Not sure if I go in and get the recalls fixed to 80% will they then take them, as Carvana may be using just the automated VIN checker to see the recalls active.

Very close to wanting to pull the trigger on a Model Y, but not until I can figure out how much I can get for this (I'm only at 11k miles so I'm hoping for 30k, but at the same time expecting that to plummet fast depending on what places will buy it / how much the battery issue hurts it even more in the next few months)

6. You might consider hanging onto it until after the battery replacement. It could be worth a lot more then, considering that a new battery is like setting your odometer back to zero. Other wear items on an electric car are far less than an ICE car.

Having said that, if I was in FL and looking for an EV, I would jump on that price pretty quickly. The Kona is a pretty good car all around, and looks good, too.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. FloridaSun

Carvana is offering $20300 for mine.. It's not a bad offer but I'd like a little more.. $25k is asking.. I'm flexible on price..

9. FloridaSun

Tesla prices are on the way up.. The Y was 48990 a month ago.. $49900 a day ago and today at $50490..

10. You can still buy the Tesla now. Just don't give away the Kona too cheap. I am sure with all your houses, etc, you could carry an extra car for a bit. On the other hand, if you have money to burn, then it doesn't matter...

11. FloridaSun

I usually have $3k to $4k per month more income than what I spend and I usually use that extra cash to pay down debt. So, I could easily afford another $750 payment but I will also have to pay insurance on both cars. The reason why I got to where I am financially was because I didn't waste money. I don't want to break that habit. Want to keep my running cost low

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. You might also try advertising in a state where they actually sell Kona EVs, so they are better known.

14. FloridaSun

So far, I advertised on Facebook Marketplace and Facebook Kona group.. Will list on craigslist and maybe autotrader.. Autotrader is nationwide..

15. Or do you have any kids or family that could use a car? If not give it to them, sell it cheap to them. I have given away pretty well all my cars instead of selling them. In fairness, my first cars were hand me downs as well.

16. FloridaSun

My kids are 8 and 10, not old enough to drive.. Was planning on keeping the Kona and giving it to my daughter when she turns 16.. I wish I could trade in my wife's BMW i3 and keep the Kona but the wife wants to keep the i3.. She loves it!

17. I've got a couple grand kids only a few yeas away from 16, and the hints are already coming...

And I am sure your daughter will like the Y...:D

Domenick and FloridaSun like this.
  18. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

We just bought a Model Y. Have some big trips coming. Kona is still good for local but didn't want to chance a 2000 mile trip incase it bricks. Once battery is replaced no problem.

19. I curious what Tesla would have offered you. When I asked a few months ago, they really low balled me at $28,000 Canadian( new retail was $45,000 before $5K federal incentive). The car was less then a year old then with relatively low mileage. To step up to a model Y LR would have meant adding another $50K on top of the loss on the Kona, no thanks. I would be better off keeping the Kona and dropping the 50K into a ID4 awd if I was really that desperate for the additional cabin space. Outside of the east and western coastal provinces the Tesla supercharger network is no better than the CCS network in central Canada. Its 1300 km to the closest Canadian Tesla service center so some good reasons why I should stick with the Kona for time being.

20. In BC the CCS fast chargers are actually better situated and more available. Tesla chargers are only on the main routes.

21. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

This makes sense that you wouldn't consider Tesla. Much of what you are saying is why we went Kona EV in the first place. We live in Oregon and travel a lot in the Western US where the Tesla charging is very strong. I'm a fan of EA and like that they listened to their user base and switched from the much profitable minute charging structure to the less profitable Kwh delivered. Says much about the company.

I have never traded in a car when buying a new model. This (to me) makes no sense. I know the car company will wholesale the car to someone else and can't loose money. That said, they give you a sale usually less than they will make profit and just enough to make you feel like you are getting a good deal on your new car. I usually sell my cars with little or no problems. Always get more than the trade in. Not for everybody but works for me. You have to do what you feel comfortable with. Even if I pay $150 to get it detailed, it still brings more.

Tesla was not even in my radar for a trade in. With the pending battery recall, I have even heard Tesla has refused to consider a trade in. I will keep it until this is done to maximize my resale. I still love the car and love to drive it. Between the prorated payback of the State incentive rebate and decrease in value with the looming battery recall, it will be a net positive to keep it. Even with the additional insurance cost.

The CCS network is really growing because of Volkswagen's indiscretion in falsifying emissions and the ensuing Federal penalty. This forced them to invest in CCS charging nationwide to $2 billion. I don't give them any kudo's for this but it is the chicken or the egg. This has helped spur other EV builders like Ford and Chevy to enhance and bring out new models all CCS. It's working. That said, I will never buy a Volkswagen or Mercedes as I don't trust them. The Tesla can use EA for DC fast charging with a Chademo adapter but is limited to 50 Kwh.

22. FloridaSun

My guess would be $19500 or so.. It would save me about $1500 in sales tax, so effectively net me $21k.. I have no issues with the CCS Network where I live. The issue is that there is an issue where I want to go. Also, the Model Y has so much more leg room.. My kids are getting bigger and it's becoming uncomfortable for them on longer trips. I don't mind the $50k+ price tag.. The payment won't be much higher than my Kona payment, just for a few extra years.. Interest rate on Tesla car loans is 2.49% right now.. Almost free money..

23. Yeah, the Kona definitely has very limited leg room in the back. What about that new Ioniq 5. What do you think about it? I bet Hyundai would give you a better trade-in value if you stayed with them.

Have to see it in person, but so far I like it.