Read Battery Capacity Yourself (Autel AP200 Breakthrough)

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by MrFixit, Nov 8, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

@Sthomasa , depending on where you are, you may find one of us close enough to you to read it for you.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Danks

Danks Active Member

That is correct. I ran it multiple times from 3/3 and it worked fine. I saw the problem reports so I tried mine on 4/6 - Tuesday and it worked. Drove home from Georgia on 4/7 and tried it again when I got home (I wanted to see if the trip from GA to MI affected the BPC) and it didn't work. So, one day it worked and the next day it didn't.

4. vicw

vicw Active Member

I suggest that as many as possible Android 11 or non-OS 11 users, please post their positive or negative results as well, including their model and OS version. That would really help the sample size.

5. Teslawannabe

Teslawannabe Active Member

I am running Android 11 and still no update or doesn't work with 11? On a side note I borrowed a Snap On scanner and it said Hybrid Battery remaining life 51 (%). 2018 with 31,000 miles.
    Sent from my SM-N986U using Inside EVs mobile app

6. vicw

vicw Active Member

Don't know if Android 11 is a problem or not - we just have 2 of us that are reporting the problem, that we know are using phones with Android 11 OS. Just to be sure I understand, are you saying that you are getting the failures with the Autel app on your SM986U phone on Android 11?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Dr. Kris

Dr. Kris New Member

Is the Autel unit the only that can be used to access battery SOH? Also, has anyone compared their battery SOH to how many kWh are going in from the charger. Battery SOH is not an easy thing to estimate and the algorithms used to measure it can have quite a bit of error depending on the conditions.

9. Hazem Abu Asab

Hazem Abu Asab New Member

An update for my car after few cycles of charging discharging
    Only charging with level 1 charger now it show a capacity of 54.2 Ah
    Odometer is 35k km 2018 canadian model

I think 12v battery disconnection resets the value to 55 and after a while the reading will be calibrated to the true value
    I'll keep you all posted

Attached Files:

10. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

Autel not the only approach... See this thread:
    https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/budget-battery-capacity-readout.10531/

Yes, there is a correlation between the input kWh from the charger and the battery capacity. Initially, with a capacity of 55.1 Ah, my input energy was about 14.4 kWh. Now, my capacity is 48.8 Ah, and the input energy is more like 13.2 kWh.

11. vicw

vicw Active Member

Maybe that could be true for the Canadian model, but on my US version, I've had 2 recent 12v battery disconnects, for several hours each, with no subsequent effect on my Battery Capacity readings. With about 15k mi, mine is at 50.1 mAh, before and after the disconnects on the Autel and the Car Scanner adapters.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Danks

Danks Active Member

I just checked the Autel app. I went to the Mall and Honda and found that the beta version reappeared. I updated to that version and tested it. It works fine and still reports 48.6.

14. rreyes

rreyes New Member

Can anyone give me some insight on how to get the beta back on my phone. I killed my phone due to water damage and reinstalled the app in my new phone. I was able to reinstall the Honda software, but it is only version 2.01. I can't find a way to re-download the beta.

15. MrFixit

Once your AP200 serial number is activated, the beta should just show up without doing anything special. As you can see from the forum, there are some who have lost and regained the beta for no apparent reason...

One thing we know for sure however is that you must have a 64-bit Android. A phone can be 64-bit without running a 64-bit Android. Check your MaxiAP200 to confirm this - Within the App, look at "Me", "Settings", "About" just to check the Build ID.

You might also look in the "Mall". I think people have indicated that they were stuck at 2.01, but could manually select the beta in the mall.

If you have the correct Build ID, and have been authorized for the Beta (I know you have because you had it working on the old phone) then it should work. If it doesn't, then you have joined a small group who have inexplicably lost access. Try again later... There have been multiple instances of this coming and going on it's own...

Let us know if you have any luck, it could help others.

16. rreyes

rreyes New Member

My new phone is 64 bit and I confirmed it via build ID in settings. There is no option for the beta in the mall. I'll keep checking it occasionally and report back if it happens to become available again. MrFixit, I just want to say thank you for being so helpful on this thread. I'm sure many people including myself are really appreciative of all the work you've put into it.

17. Danks

Danks Active Member

FWIW - It took about a week after re-installing before I saw the beta in the mall. I wasn't checking it every day, so it may have been there earlier. I know it took more that 2-3 days.

18. Hazem Abu Asab

Hazem Abu Asab New Member

Unfortunately, my beta version has gone and didn't come back at all

19. MrFixit

Hazem Abu Asab likes this.
  20. I lost the beta version too. MrFixit, wil the Autel AP200 work with the Budget Battery Capacity technique?

21. MrFixit

No. The Budget Battery Capacity requires a 'good' ELM327 device. The AP200 is not an ELM device.
    I'll ping Autel regarding yours and @Hazem Abu Asab to make sure they still have you as Beta users (and are not in the process of abandoning us).

22. Thanks! I got the error message and reinstalled software a couple of weeks ago, but still stuck on V2.01.

23. rreyes

rreyes New Member

Same for me. I had to switch phones and I was never able to get the beta back on my new phone.