Spotty regen paddle response

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by tim, Jan 29, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. The snippy response would be: Can’t you achieve the exact same result by using the right paddle?
    It’s just two different ways to get the same result. Move your foot or move your finger. Neither option is the superior choice.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Agreed, and I’ve been known to use both methods on occasion.

What’s nice is you can just hand a friend the fob and tell them to drive it like a regular car. Not even mention modes or paddles or regen. And that works pretty darn well.

We’re all just nibbling around the edges to eke out every last bit of efficiency, or to slightly modify the driving experience to suit our personal tastes. It’s all fun, but hardly necessary.

insightman likes this.
  4. ajzwilli

ajzwilli New Member

@tim any updates? I started experiencing this for the first time with my left paddle only on Sunday. My spouse drove the car this morning and she also mentioned the left paddle wasn't working normally. I drove the car this evening and it is still acting up. 2018 with 25,000 with mostly highway driving (so maybe 5,000 miles with paddle usage). At first I thought it was b/c battery was too full (which I've experienced), but I didn't get the blinking and when I tried it again when I was closer to 50% charge it still didn't work. Right paddle works just fine. The way I hold the wheel, I usually push on the bottom of the paddle. I found if I push at the top of the paddle and/or push it firmer/harder, it works more consistently, but still not always. It's like it is wearing out or there is dust or something between the the paddle and whatever the paddle makes contact with. This is easy to reproduce now, but I'm hesitant to take it to the small town dealer who has limited experience servicing Clarity's.

5. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

My experience is the car won't apply the third chevrons if I'm going over about 45 mph. It also won't apply the third chevrons if the battery is already fully charged.

6. ajzwilli

ajzwilli New Member

This issue is different. The paddle not working is agnostic of the chevron level.
    It seems to take a harder push on the paddle and more at the center and or top of the paddle. The paddle still makes a click nose each time it is pressed, it just doesn't respond each time. These examples are at lower speeds when approaching a stop with serval bars of battery used up. I'm confident it is nothing to do with the charge level or speed as I am not getting the blinking chevron when trying to increase the level of braking and happens at all chevron levels. I can get the chevrons up to 4 but it can take multiple firm pushes of the paddle to increase by one chevron now whereas up until this weekend it only took one normal push to increase by one chevron. I've had no issues with the left paddle with the first 25,000 miles, it really feels like the button is wearing out which concerns me greatly at this mileage level. The right paddle, which is used less than the left, works with a gentle push on the lower portion of the paddle. Based on a search of this forum, the issue doesn't seem to be widespread

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

I looked though the parameters available with the AP200, hoping to find this switch.... It may be useful to observe the state of this switch via the OBD2 while playing with the paddle as a troubleshooting aid. There are a LOT of switches available, but I did not see this one... I could have overlooked it among all the others however.

9. ajzwilli

ajzwilli New Member

Thanks for taking a look MrFixit. I believe the issue is hardware related and the push on the paddle isn't sending the signal to the computer (thus nothing would log most likely). If you have ever had a device where the button physically stops working (i.e. remote control, home phone, etc.) but if you push it hard enough or in the right spot and enough times, it will work if you are lucky. I get those type of buttons are making contact with something which is not the case with the paddle, but if you push the button hard enough and the right spot I can get it to add a chevron. It seems to have failed quickly. It went from working just fine to barely working at all in a matter of a couple days. A google search indicated I'm not the first one this happened to as I found another clarity forum this issue popped up at least a couple times with similar aged and mileage vehicles. One person reported the dealership replaced the left paddle and some wiring (roughly $50 in parts). I now at least have that info and part number that will help with the dealership in getting this resolved. I will admit I don't use sport mode and typical leverage the paddles to slow and allows me to mostly be able to do 1 pedal driving.

10. rodeknyt

rodeknyt Active Member

That's odd. I have never heard any type of a click noise with either paddle. Mine also is a 2018.

11. ajzwilli

ajzwilli New Member

Click may not be the right word to describe it, but it definitely makes a sound, both paddles do. It's quiet, but it's loud enough if there is no music on, you can hear it.

12. To remove this ad click here.