High speed, high elevation, mountain mpg

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by SSpiffy, Mar 18, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. SSpiffy

SSpiffy Member

Well, had to make an emergency 2100 mile drive from Seattleish to The Heartland over the last 3 days. And wasn't exactly impressed with the mountain mileage; also not surprised. 85 mph through the mountains in Montana got me down into the low 20s for mileage. Much better on the flats, still 85 mph, got around 40 mpg.

The car was dead solid as a road tripper, passed the 5000 mile mark on the way here. Only problems were related to snow buildup blinding the radar and disabling cruise control. Also blizzard conditions shutting down I-90 in Wyoming, forcing me to backtrack 2 hours to Billings to cross ND on 94.

I'm not sure what the normal service interval is, but the A1 service needed soon warning was on this morning. It's going to be delayed until I get back home, another 2500 miles or so.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Inside EVs mobile app

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ClarityBill

ClarityBill Active Member

Snow buildup disables the ACC mode, but you can use cruise control without the auto-sensing system even when the radar is blocked. I think you hold the 'car range' button to deactivate the radar.

Some people don't think it is safe to use cruise control in inclement weather, but that is another discussion...

JFon101231 likes this.
  4. KClark

KClark Active Member

40mpg with HV is what I’ve seen on multiple trips from LA to southern UT on I15, usually going about 80mph.

JFon101231 likes this.
  5. SSpiffy

SSpiffy Member

Thanks, I'll file that away for the trip back. There wasn't buildup on the road, just wet snow falling. So I was comfortable using cruise.

6. I’ve seen displayed mileage of ~40mpg on several trips from S Cal to S Oregon. Actual mileage was ~36mpg. There are only 2 passes above 4000’ and about 100 miles of mountainous driving in N Cal between 3000-4000’.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

As you likely know, 85mph is going to kill mpg. Flat mileage doesn't seem that far off. Were u using all EV then auto switch to HV, or went onto HV earlier to let the car use EV as needed?

9. turtleturtle

turtleturtle Active Member

Exact same experience and similar drive. Car range went down to about 220-240 miles. Wonderful on the flats. Climbs without a charge, a known issue, are terrible.

10. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

Las Vegas to LA, I15, HV from start, 80-85 mph, strong head winds = below 30 mpg
    LA to Las Vegas, same road/distance, 70-75 mph same winds but coming from behind = 50+ mpg.
    Enough said...

11. I’ve mentioned it before, but the mpg displayed is pretty consistently about 12% optimistic. Consistent enough that it seems intentional on Honda’s part.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Agzand

Agzand Active Member

They don't count the mixed ethanol as real fuel!

14. mustermutti

mustermutti Member

Was the low 20s for the climb segments only, or including downhills to get back to starting elevation? In my experience mountain mpg has actually been pretty great (not noticeably different than flat lands, mid-40s as measured by gas station pumps, or >50 as measured by the car). But maybe that's also because I drive slower in mountains (and generally try to stay below 65 these days... Clarity is my leisure-only car), and use the HV button often to avoid "angry bees". (I try to keep battery around 50% on road trips during flat sections, to be used for bigger climbs.)

15. SSpiffy

SSpiffy Member

I only track fill up to fill up, that was a 152 mile segment that consumed 6.3 gallons for 24.1 mpg. So it was both up and down.

Overall, the 2361 mile trip over 57 hours consumed 72.5 gallons for an average of 32.6 mpg. I only stopped for gas and necessary biological needs, including sleep. Even including 2 nights sleep, I averaged over 40 mph.

When I left, I used electricity until it was down to about a third, then ran HV charge until it stopped and ran HV for the rest of the trip.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  16. SSpiffy

SSpiffy Member

Another thing: long, high speed trips consume oil life. I got the A. 01 service required alert at 6900 miles. To avoid future warranty problems, I'm not going to drive it home, but have it scheduled for service on Wednesday at the closest dealer, 45 miles away.

17. mustermutti

mustermutti Member

How about HV/EV mode? Did you use default modes (i.e. drive most of the trip with empty battery), or something else? (Sorry if mentioned already, didn't see it yet.)

(Edit) Never mind, just noticed it:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  18. mustermutti

mustermutti Member

Wonder if the "HV reset" technique (i.e. switching to EV when engine gets loud during climb, and immediately back to HV to reset the target point for battery state of charge) actually saves gas too, besides making for a more pleasant driving experience. Seems that would be the case assuming engine is less efficient when it revs harder. Would be nice if there was some kind of "road trip" mode to make this kind of fiddling unnecessary...

19. turtleturtle

turtleturtle Active Member

20. SSpiffy

SSpiffy Member

I don't mind the engine getting loud during a climb. That's how CVTs and series hybrids work. Of course, my snowmobiles and race car had CVTs, so I'm used to it and understand it. (racecar photo attached)

One of the things that annoys me most about how automakers have implemented CVTs is the simulated gear changes. You're giving up a significant amount of the efficiency advantage of them.
    .pending-1617719199-FB_IMG_1598676794613~2.jpeg

21. Except the Clarity doesn’t have a CVT.

22. SSpiffy

SSpiffy Member

23. Pooky

Pooky Active Member

Fast Eddie B likes this.