Hitch cargo carriers

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by MSimpsonNJ, Mar 7, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

So I have determined from a trailer hitch thread on here, with tons of help from everyone, that it is possible to get a Class I hitch receiver installed on a 2020 (and other years) Kona EV. Once I get mine installed I plan to use it with a Thule hitch-mounted bike carrier, but I'm also considering using it with a hitch-mounted cargo carrier. I decided this after concluding that while it is possible to mount racks on the naked roof that the US Kona EV'S have, and put my Thule cargo box on the roof when I need the space, the loss in range will likely be pretty significant from a roof box.

So now I'm looking at hitch-mounted cargo boxes. It seems to me that they basically sit within the wind profile of the Kona so I would expect the range loss to be less. Assuming that is true (anyone with experience with this please chime in), I prefer something designed for this purpose rather than a hitch platform with a soft pack or Rubbermaid boxes bungeed to the platform. Something like these:
    https://www.stowaway2.com/standard-cargo-carrier or
    https://www.thule.com/en-us/cargo-carrier/hitch-cargo-carrier.

Does anyone have experience with these or similar items (or do you want to talk me into a platform - I'm open)? Also, I note that both of these say they should be used with a Class II hitch, but I have no plans to fill the thing with rocks. It will mostly be stuff like clothes, beach stuff, duffels - nothing that would (in my opinion) require a Class II. Bad idea to use them with a Class I?

Any thoughts appreciated.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Gsbrryprk8

Gsbrryprk8 Member

One thing I don’t like about my Kona is the front wheel drive, which used to cause tire spin before I figured out how to control the pedal.

More weight in the front helps to prevent this, and conversely, I would expect additional weight further behind the car’s center of mass to aggravate this tendency. Maybe this is why Hyundai made the trunk so small!

A cargo rack extends the lever arm, so to speak, so I wonder if others have experienced more tire spin with a loaded rack? Of course it would depend on how much weight you haul.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

4. Use ECO mode. Same full power if you punch it, but better control of the pedal on take-off and level 3 regen.