What % of Hyundai dealers will have the ability to change batteries?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by FloridaSun, Mar 8, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I wonder if there is a way to know which dealerships have the battery lift to swap out the batteries.. I wonder if I could just call Hyundai USA and ask them?? Not sure if they would know. I'm in Florida and when the time comes for my new battery, I wonder how to find out what the closest dealership for me would be to get the battery swapped.. While my local dealership has technicians trained on EV's, they certainly won't get the battery lift just for 1 or 2 Hyundai EV's that are being serviced there.. So, I wonder how I can find out which dealerships have the lifts so that I'll know where to bring the car.. I'm afraid that I'll probably have to drive to Maryland to get the battery swapped.. Maryland is where I bought the car..

ehatch and Esprit1st like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Very good question. I will probably have to do a roadtrip all the way to California (from NM).

ehatch and Kona Bill like this.
  4. FloridaSun

That seems very likely.. I really doubt that outside ZEV states, you'll not find a dealer who has the battery lift.. May be a logistics nightmare to get all the batteries changed at the few dealers that have the lift.. I will likely have to drive 1090 miles each way to get mine done.. As they won't be able to do it in a day, I'll have to fly back when dropping off the car and then back to the dealer when it's done.

5. BC-Doc

BC-Doc Member

If no local dealers can replace your battery, given the nature of the recall (risk of exploding battery), I would argue Hyundai should transport your Kona via flat-bed truck to a dealer who can. I would suggest diplomatically pushing for this if the need arises.

XtsKonaTrooper, Tracy and Esprit1st like this.
  6. I'd drop it off at my local Hyundai dealership and take a loaner. They can put it on a flatbed and return it when it's done.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Although now that I think of it, I don't trust that would be done within a reasonable amount of time.

ehatch likes this.
  9. mikeselectricstuff

mikeselectricstuff Active Member

The only reason any dealer would not be able to do it is they don't have the mechanical handling gear. Other than that it's a simple unplug/unbolt operation.

However there may be cases where it's cheaper to ship or drive it to another location, especially as batteries outside of the car may need hazmat shipping.

10. FloridaSun

I would just be happy if they would cover the charges and flights.. I like road trips.... Flights are like $100 one way fare.. I would need 2 of them.. one to fly back home and another one to fly in to pick up the car..

11. Well, if it was that easy we would probably have swappable batteries. Like BYD (??) does in China?

At least now they know why it's not necessarily a bad principle. Imagine if this happens to BYD in China, they just mark the bad batteries in the computer and the swapping stations just hold them back. Easy peasy. Nobody would even notice

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Manufacturers and dealers have (generally) fairly unbalanced relationships. If a dealer wants to sell the product then they must do so at the direction of the manufacturer. If a dealership is certified to both sell and service a vehicle then the manufacturer will dictate how they do it. In short, if Hyundai says " buy a battery lift" they will buy a battery lift, and at the (inflated) price dictated by Hyundai.

BC-Doc likes this.
  14. The pack appears to be a similar setup to the Tesla.
    If they can do what these guys did (starts at 7:38) most likely any dealer could do it:

electriceddy likes this.
  15. John Kelly can remove a nearly-identical Bolt battery seated in his wheelchair.

syntaxfx likes this.
  16. FloridaSun

Dealer has to follow procedure and they are NOT allowed to change the battery without the specific battery lift. I'm sure that it can be done without it but I highly doubt that Hyundai corporate will allow any Hyundai dealers to swap the batteries without the specifically designed battery lift..

1st-KonaEV-in-FL likes this.
  17. Haha, definitely. Just because Rich & Co do it in their backyard doesn't mean Hyundai will do that. That's why it's called DIY. And DIY is definitely not certified, neither by Hyundai (or any other manufacturer for that matter) nor by NHSA.

18. FloridaSun

Hyundai also wants to make the $$$ selling the lift to dealers..

syntaxfx, ericy and Esprit1st like this.
  19. Well, in the long run they will need it anyways. Looks like Hyundai is a legacy manufacturer who's very serious about EVs.

20. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Dealers could swap the thing if they are on good terms.

21. FloridaSun

Considering the amount of battery replacements, dealers who have them will be very busy using them for months... if not years..

22. Actually, that was done at their registered repair shop, not his backyard.
    My understanding is that the two guys working there are licensed mechanics (ex-Tesla and ex-BMW).
    Apparently, they recently opened second workshop in Florida.
    Not much help to me though - I'm over 8,000nm away :).

Esprit1st likes this.
  23. Kona Bill

Kona Bill Member

I feel like I may be in the same boat. I live in AZ and bought the car in CA. My local dealer has been great to work with and they know their stuff, but they are NOT the main repair shop for Hyundai AZ EV’s. That shop is about 25 miles away (no big deal), but I suspect the battery job will have to be done in CA.
    Last time I looked at the Hyundai recall page there was nothing there about the repair. I’ll check again today and see what shows up.