Kia Niro EV - spare tire

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by rampart51, Feb 7, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. rampart51

rampart51 New Member

Just got my 2020 EV EX a week ago and so far I love it. I didn't realize the car came without a spare so I am on the hunt for one.

I did see one at KIASTUFF.COM but I'm looking for other suggestions from owners here in the US.

Thanks in advance.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. CR EV

CR EV Active Member

I got mine from the dealer at purchase...sure they'd be glad to sell you one.

4. TandM

TandM Active Member

Picked our kit up at the dealer because with a coupon from their site it came in less than ordering it online.

5. I just posted a comment on a spare tire for the Kona Ev. I will be picking up a new Kona in the next week or two but have been doing some research on spare tires for some time. The Soul Ev, Niro Ev and Kona Ev all come with 215 55 17 tires. The non ev version of these cars will fit a 16 inch donut but apparently a 16 inch wheel will not clear the rear brakes due to the cars having an e brake. 16 inch apparently fits on the front only. I have also found that both Kia and Hyundai have the same wheel center hole at 67.1, lug spacing 5x114.3, and lug size M12x1.5. I have seen on other websites that a kia sportage wheel will fit. 17 inch. From what I can tell the best size tire to match the stock tires would be T135 80 17. I think if you order the tire at the same time for the sportage they will mount a T135 90 17. This will not be off by to much. The part number I got from the kia dealership is D9F40-Ak900 for the wheel kit without the tire. In my post I asked if anyone on this forum has done this but have not heard yet. I'm probably going to proceed in this fashion myself.

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Thanks. That's interesting. I do know from what I have researched that the spare tire kit will have no problem fitting in the trunk under the floor cover. The issue i have read about is that the donut spare for the non ev will not fit on the rear of the Ev. That particular one is a 16 inch wheel with a T125 80 16 tire. Apparently the rear brake caliper on the Ev versions is larger than the non ev version due to the electronic parking brake that takes up more space. Apparently the 16 inch wheel will fit on the front but not on the rear.

To get around the issue i had understood a 17 inch wheel is needed such as from the Kia Sportage or I believe another option is from a company called Modern Spare.

Now I have been mainly reseaching the Kona Ev as that is the car I have on order, however, I was lead to believe that both the Niro Ev and Soul Ev have the same issue. It sounds like i might be wrong about the issue with the Niro Ev...... but has anyone who has purchased a 16 inch compact spare ....... has it successfully fit on the rear axle without interfering with the brake caliper?

8. IanM

IanM New Member

16” fits the boot well and the large fixing screw perfectly holds it in place. It does not fit the rear hub, just fouling the calliper a little.

Puncture in the front, use the doughnut.

Puncture in the rear, fit the doughnut to the front then use the good front to replace the punctured rear.

Punctures don’t happen that often to worry about the extra effort.

9. Thank you.

10. Jeff Christensen

Jeff Christensen New Member

We have a 2020 Niro EV. We picked up a used, matching 17" OEM rim from eBay UK, not a doughnut rim. I had tried for some months here in the U.S. to locate a used rim and could not find one. With air freight was still notably cheaper than new from the dealer. Placed OEM rubber on it, and it fits fine in the tire boot. The styrofoam 'tray' will no longer fit, but those tray items now sit in a towel, in the tire rim space. Perfect.

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. porky

porky Member

Isn't one supposed to use the good wheel in the front because that is where the drive is and also because front is where we steer?

13. DamnIHateThat

DamnIHateThat Member

The Niro manual says nothing about this. It just says replace the flat tire with the emergency spare tire.

14. There is a lot more room under the trunk floor board in the Niro Ev than in the Kona Ev which is why I'm going for a compact spare vs. full size. (Since I own a Kona Ev) My research indicates that the 17" donut wheel (17" x 4") that either comes on or can be ordered with either a 2018 to 2020 Hyundai Tucson and/or a 2017 to 2021 Kia Sportage are identical. I was first looking at ordering the Kia Sportage spare tire kit (D9F40-AK900) but have found it better value to buy the wheel without the kit and to buy my own jack and lug wrench. The wheel part number is 52910-C1930. I think the part number is the same for both Kia and Hyundai. I have ordered the wheel through the parts department at a Hyundai dealership and will test fit it when it arrives to ensure no issues with the rear brake caliper. If everything goes well I will have a 135 90 17 tire mounted as that size is the closest revs per mile to the stock 215 55 17.

15. Just an update......
    This applies to the Niro EV, Soul Ev and Kona Ev. I received the 17" compact wheel and test fitted it on my 2021 Kona Ev. It clears the rear brake caliper just fine. I have now ordered a 135/90 R17 tire. This route was more expensive than used from a junkyard but unfortunately I was not able to locate a used kia/hyundai 17x4 compact wheel and/or tire combo in Western Canada.

This route was a less expensive option than ordering the kia 17" spare tire kit for the 2017-2021 Sportage (D9F40-AK900) or the kit for the Niro/Soul/Kona EV from Modern Spare.

The wheel was purchased from a Hyundai dealer as fitting a 2018-2020 Hyundai Tucson. Part number 52910-C1930.

blue_door likes this.
  16. jcfgh

jcfgh New Member

Did the wheel fit underneath the space underneath the cargo mat?

17. Yes there is enough room for it under the cargo floor. I will attach a link that has pictures of the modern spare fitting in. The modern spare uses a 4"x18" wheel with a 135/80/R18 tire. I have a 4"x17" wheel with a 135/90/R17 tire. Both of these are almost identical diameter, thickness, etc. Because the "well" under the cargo floor is much smaller than that of the Niro and is smaller than the compact spare..... the spare tire only drops halfway down into the Kona well. In order for the cargo tray to go back on the tire/wheel needs to be leveled off with the rear portion sitting on a block of wood or foam. You will see on the attached link they used a block of wood with a 4" thickness. I have found the minimum needed is 2.5".

If you have a Niro I don't think you will have any issues at all since I understand a full size wheel/tire will sit in the well.

http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/ev/donut/

BarryP and ENirogus like this.
  18. Stuart Clark

Stuart Clark New Member

On the matter of changing tires - The Niro EV manual (2022) is silent on the matter of jacking points. The rear looks easy enough but the front....? Can anyone point me to information on safe jacking points in the front of a 2022 Niro EV?