2022 model sneak peek

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Lainey, Jan 26, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

Spotted this ‘real world’ video of a 2022 SE. Good footage of the side scuttle and the front grill, as well as the mini electric dashboard surface. At around 1:07 you can briefly see the new ‘e’ logo on the steering wheel.

Lainey likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

2021 Island Blue convertible ICE in background at 1:49 to 1:59?

If so, a bit darker shade of blue than I expected.

4. GvilleGuy

Good catch - I checked their YouTube channel and they walked around that model, as well. I love the color, and it has the scissor spokes which I ordered on my SE!

Lainey and bldxyz like this.
  5. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Not blacked out, the door handles and grille are chrome. But the hatch handle is all black. So they've kept the Energetic Yellow and dropped the Vigorous Grey?

6. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

The Sidewalk Edition convertible is actually Deep Laguna Metallic, so not quite the same color. (I had to look it up to confirm, because I also assumed they were the same.)

GvilleGuy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

Thank you for doing what I should have done in the first place, but was too lazy to do. :)

GvilleGuy and MichaelC like this.
  9. bldxyz

bldxyz Well-Known Member

That convertible is f-ing gorgeous! And seeing the chrome on the SE reminds me of my dual frustrations.

Island Blue SE is only without leather seats (not Iconic trim).
    Iconic Trim is only without chrome.

So it basically comes down to my insistence on Leather Seats and the other benefits of Iconic Trim that keep be from my top aesthetic choices.

Grrrrr.

10. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

Or custom paint job or upholstery after...

11. GvilleGuy

This is baffling! They took away too many options.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. bldxyz

bldxyz Well-Known Member

I get that, but I find something really off-putting about after-market modifications on a brand new car. I wish dealers were set up to do these things, or if simply MINI had more global consistency in their trim levels (which makes more production sense anyway, and would give me the option of chrome on my Iconic).

The Enigmatic Black I chose isn’t even an option in Signature +, so really it is about adding chrome elements to a brand new Iconic, or losing Iconic features and adding leather seats to an unspecified price of a Mini Electric Collection build.

From my build sheet, the list of Iconic features I’d be giving up seems sort of ridiculous, except it isn’t clear how many of them the Electric Collection does pick up. The one I heard from my dealer as the show stopper was the lack of Moonroof.

Active Cruise Control
    Alarm System (addable for $500)
    Auto-dimming rearview mirror
    Black Roof and Mirror Caps (irrelevant on Electric Collection)
    Headliner in Anthracite
    Nappa Leather Steering Wheel (incl. on Electric Collection)
    Panoramic Moonroof
    Parking Assistant
    Piano Black Exterior Trim (also mandatory on Electric Collection)
    Power-Folding Mirrors
    Universal garage door opener
    Harmon/Kardon Premium System

So... it really feels like no choice to make (for me) at all. Unless there is a forum member who ordered a 2022 Electric Collection and an speak to price and features, I’m just hoping there aren’t any dumb surprises when they roll out the Configure Tool around the time my MINI will be on a boat.

Lainey likes this.
  14. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with you. When I was looking even at the 2021s I was thinking I'd have to do upholstery which stinks. Fortunately I loved the leather on the Sig+ and chose that. Every once in a while I wish I had been able to get the front parking sensors separately. I wasn't about to pay $3k just for that. Sure a larger screen would have been nice, but the rest was lost on me. I would have loved to add the sensors separately.

It's not like it's a limited edition with special fabrics or colors. We're just stuck with the same old same old.

As it is I am looking at quotes to chrome delete along with making the grille and boot handles black (though might make those black with holographic flecks) because Mini couldn't be bothered to make that an option at all without doing after market parts. Just seems so unlike my options 5 years ago, though they had on the lot a perfect car I took instead.

This feels like buying my Hondas in the past which was boring.

15. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Since MINI has official parts for blackout or chroming, I'd check with your dealer about replacing things with official MINI parts as sort of a replacement. It might cost a bit, but in my mind it'd be "official" and not going after-market on a new car.

16. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

Just looking at vinyl wrapping here. I'm not sure I want to delete the chrome entirely but getting quotes. The cost of the parts to replace out pieces vs just covering that can easily be removed is super high. The beltline is roughly $600 alone. Plus no black SE grille exists. Vinyl or paint will be my only option for the grille.

17. bldxyz

bldxyz Well-Known Member

My dealer doesn’t seem to offer anything like that, and suggested I Google vehicle wrapping since they don’t want liability in any warranty issues.

18. bldxyz

bldxyz Well-Known Member

Every car I’ve bought so far has been an Acura, so the frustration here is coming to a brand that is phasing out choices just at the moment I’m getting there!

19. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

The person making this video clearly doesn't like the new Iconic steering wheel's partialized MINI E logo--this is the best view of it from the video. I fully agree and would hate to see that thing in place of the Union Jack on the 2020/21 Iconic steering wheel. How many meetings were required to decide not to display the entire logo and how much of the logo to hide?
    upload_2021-3-7_23-42-51.png

Texas22Step likes this.
  20. GvilleGuy

I'll reserve judgment until I see mine in person - but I imagine there will be mods created to replace that one panel or put a covering on it.

21. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

Haven't looked at Acura in a while to compare there, but last time instead of like EX, LX etc it was here are your 3 packages you can pick from. The regular Minis do have more options but still not as many as years of past.

There are many black out options
    https://www.waymotorworks.com/black-beltline-trim-kit-f56-mini.html
    https://www.waymotorworks.com/blackout-trim-kit-f55-f56-f57-mini.html
    https://www.waymotorworks.com/mini-black-door-handles-f56.html
    https://www.waymotorworks.com/black-side-lights-f55-f56-f57-mini.html

Quick googling I cannot find a boot handle for the newest logo. So genuine parts do exist. For a hefty price. Wrapping should be cheaper. There are also plastic covers for door handles and boot handle.

22. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

In the light of the morning after my basketball team lost to its rival, I realize I shouldn't have lashed out about a simple graphic that is more modern than I'm used to. I'll shut up--as long as MINI Design doesn't get too carried away with their crop tool, assuming everyone has memorized every one of their original, complete graphics.

upload_2021-3-8_10-15-33.png

bldxyz likes this.
  23. GvilleGuy

LOL - I wasn't thinking you were lashing out. We all have our opinions about this stuff. I am not sure if I will like it or not. If I don't like it I can probably get shiny black vinyl decal to cover it!

Lainey and insightman like this.