Is Clarity for me? Or is it a straight Hybrid?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Scott Bleier, Feb 24, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

I would check the cost of your electricity before going with a PHEV or BEV. It may well cost you more to drive on electricity than gas. So make sure you are OK with it if that's the case.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I would attribute the “low” resale value to the fact that the most common buyer (California) typically can get a $5k-8K discount from the dealer and a $7500 Fed tax credit. This puts the net cost of a new Touring model in the low to mid-$20K range. The car hasn’t really depreciated from $37K to ~$22K, because it never cost $37K to buy. A few owners have actually traded in a 1-2 year old car for a new one at little to no loss. Some have calculated a net gain of $500-1000 on the transaction.

Peter CC and Louis Nisenbaum like this.
  4. Pooky

Pooky Active Member

One benefit of buying a Certified Pre-Owned Honda is that your limited warranty will be extended somewhat. This is true for all Clarity model years, of course, but a certified 2018 Honda Clarity would net you an extra 12 months/12,000 miles on the limited warranty.
    https://www.hondacertified.com/certified-preowned-benefits

Hardly the length of a brand-new limited warranty, but it is worth noting.

Cheers

5. jpkik96

jpkik96 Member

You may also be eligible to purchase a Honda Care extended Service contract if the car you find is still within Honda's 3 year 36k mile warranty. There are a few online dealers that provide this option and you can purchase additional coverage up to 8 years from the date of purchase or 120k miles. Equally important, it should also allow you to have the car serviced from Honda authorized dealer..good luck on your search!

6. Good points on the extended warranty options. As long as the car is either a CPO vehicle, not likely from a private party, or still covered under the factory warranty, you’d have one of two choices. Drive the car for a year or so, while under the additional 12mo/12000mi warranty and then buy an extended warranty, or drive a, still under factory warranty, car until the time comes when it would be necessary or desirable to buy an extended warranty.

Either way, you’ll be out of warranty or buying an extended warranty sooner than if you’d bought a new car. Between an extended warranty and possibly new tires there could be $2K-3K of additional costs on a used car within the first year of operation. Just something to consider.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Dislin

Dislin Member

Clarity is a pretty solid 40mpg on the highway in hybrid mode. The Accord hybrid, from what I hear, is maybe closer to 50. If you can charge at home, this reduces your commute to ~40 miles EV, 60 miles HV. In most places in the US outside of New England, electric is considerably cheaper than gas. It looks like that area may have gas around $2.60/gallon and electric around .13/.14 per kwh. If that's accurate, then the Clarity is the better buy, solely looking at commute costs.

It also may be cheaper than the Accord Hybrid with federal tax credits etc, but it depends on what's available to you. Honda had $6000+ manufacturer to dealer incentives, but I'm not sure if that's still ongoing or in which areas that's available.

Edit: So, if there are still 2020s, Honda is offering $7500 off of them, in your area at least. I typed in a random NJ zip code and it seems to be valid for that zip code. Note that for manufacturer-to-dealer incentives, they don't just put that on the sticker and may want to keep it for themselves. However, if you ask about it, you should be able to get that. Also if you use the Costco Auto program, you would get that off of the car.

Also, the 2021 has $5000 manufacturer-to-dealer incentives right now through the end of March. So yeah, with the (up to) $7500 federal tax credit and $5000+ off the hood, and other potential state & local rebates, the Clarity comes out to be probably the best value on the road in many places.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    PHEVDave likes this.
  9. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

If you wanted that color, then a used Clarity would show if it was the one or two that had a peeling problem or one like mine whose Moonlit Forest Pearl paint still looks great (Clarity delivered November, 2017). I love the color, but it's so dark that I have to wash it as often as the black cars I've owned. I chuckle whenever I remember something I read about black cars: "Black isn't a color, it's a lifestyle."

Mowcowbell likes this.
  10. Is there a Time of Use program where you live? Our cost overnight (in summer) is $0.06 a kWh. From 1:00pm to 7:00pm it's over $0.40kWh. Weekends it's $0.06 all day/night and in the winter it's $0.06 24/7.

11. fotomoto

fotomoto Active Member

This matches the commute that our Clarity did. Basically, EV on the way, HV on the way back. Usually 38-42 miles EV, 42-45 mpg in HV.

Here's the rub tho: That distance means 1.x gallons burned per day so by Friday's afternoon drive...... many times running on fumes on the 7 gal fuel tank. That got old. Add in just even one extra side trip per week and the driver (my wife) needed to stop for gas. This negated one of the big pluses of electric driving for her (typically I fill on weekends).

FWIW

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. mattheo0118

mattheo0118 Member

Just keep the RLX.. it's the best driving thing out there compared to the other cars you've listed... you'll hate driving the Clarity if you enjoy the RLX. After the battery is depleted, the Clarity engine is very loud especially when you're trying to maintain 80mph.

The RLX should last you another 100k easily since it's mainly highway that you're driving.. you'll need to change the timing belt and water pump at 105k but that's $1000 for another 100k miles... The car already depreciated by 50-60%.. if I was in your shoes, I'd keep the RLX and wait for better battery or hydrogen tech to come out in the next 2-4 years.. solid state battery will change the PHEV BEV game

Scott Bleier likes this.
  14. Scott Bleier

Scott Bleier New Member

My wife says the same thing about the RLX. I bought it well, 4 years old with 50k miles for $20k, down from $60K new. Now THAT's depreciation! I'm getting $13k offers to trade with 90k miles and would sell at a dealer for close to $20k because it is in great shape. I do want something that is 50% more economical but need some luxury at my age. I will not buy the little shitboxes nor will I spend $60k for a used e-tron or Tesla. That is why I'm looking at either the Avalon Hybrid LTD ($40k new) or now the Lexus es 300h (2019, low miles similarly priced), basically both just a Camry...45mpg, no muss no fuss...

15. Scott Bleier

Scott Bleier New Member

Vroom just offered me $11k for my Acura. LOL. It's certainly cheaper to keep her!!!

16. If the RLX is averaging 25mpg it is using 4 gallons a day. I’d imagine you’re making 2 fuel stops per week. If either of the 2 Hybrid options average ~40mpg they will use ~2.5 gallons per day. A Clarity would use ~1.5 gallons in addition to the EV range. At $40K neither of the Hybrid options are “economical” compared to what you have.

From a fuel consumption standpoint, the Clarity wins hands down. Depending on your fuel and electricity costs, operating in EV may or may not be a cost effective option. Worst case, you have the option to choose between the 2 fuels and still have a ~40mpg car. Also, worst case, a Clarity Touring would have a net cost of ~$30K after the Fed credit. More likely, you could get one for mid to low $20K’s.

While the Clarity may not measure up to some luxury sedans, it is a quiet, comfortable car at a very economical price. And it definitely isn’t one of those clown cars that you so eloquently referenced earlier.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  17. Scott Bleier

Scott Bleier New Member

Driving a Certified 2018 Touring w 25k miles tomorrow. I can trade my 2014 with 90k for about $5k. Any suggestions where I may buy a Honda extended warrantee cheap?

18. RickSE

RickSE Active Member

Hyannis Honda. I bought my plan when I got the car and it looks like the prices for a five year extended warranty are about the same as the 8 year plan I bought 3 years ago.

19. I just did a quick search of 2014 Acura RDX’s for sale. They are listed for $12-15K, some have more than 100K miles. Is yours in poor condition?

What is the asking price for the 2018 Clarity?

20. Scott Bleier

Scott Bleier New Member

2014 RLX sport hybrid in excellent condition

21. I just read this again. Are you now considering trading it in for $5K?

22. Scott Bleier

Scott Bleier New Member

Sorry if I was unclear. I could trade my acura for 15k and kick in about 5k to get the clarity priced under 20k...

23. Scott Bleier

Scott Bleier New Member

Just got back from my test drive. 2018 Black Touring 25k miles $19500 Certified. Looked great. Got there, looked nice, opened the door and a smell hits you, not smoking but rather maybe wet dog. Horrible. Drove it anyway, drove great just needed pads and rotors. But smells are notoriously difficult. I cannot believe that a Honda dealership who sold, serviced and took it back on a trade would let a buyer into that vehicle. Next!