Hyundai Ioniq 5 reveal reactions

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by Domenick, Feb 23, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I just got done watching both videos, and I can say I'm deeply impressed. The flat floor, reverse charging, and solar roof are all impressive, and I must applaud them. I think they've thought of everything!

Maybe the interior won't turn heads, but IMHO, with everything else this EV offers that should be the least of your concerns.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Ionic is probably similar to Kona.

U.S. market isn't getting the VW HUD.

4. Hadn't heard that. I believe I heard the US market wasn't getting the ID.4 heat pump (they claimed it wouldn't make a difference)... The ID.4 really isn't all that impressive compared to the Ioniq 5 (and maybe Ariya)

5. Kendalf

Kendalf Active Member

What do you mean by Ionic is similar to Kona? The I5 is built on a completely new dedicated platform for EV and is much larger than the Kona.

I do see discussion that the US spec VW ID4 will not have the HUD, so there's a possibility that the US spec I5 will not have it either. I would still like to see videos of it in action for the models that do have it!

6. Irissam

Irissam New Member

Those promotional videos were painful to watch. I can't believe a company with an umpteen million dollar budget for advertising could do no better than that!! Really, a dummy in the driver seat? Excruciatingly poor read lines? A computer-like (or computer) voice for narration? Yikes!!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I meant that the HUD is similar to Kona.

9. Kendalf

Kendalf Active Member

The I5 supposedly has an Augmented Reality HUD like the VW ID4. You can see a brief computer representation of it in this video from the 10:58-11:16 mark. What I'm curious to see is how it looks and works in real life.

10. salant76

salant76 Member

Attached is a translated German price list. I know that they have a high VAT included in the price but usually that price increase is offset by the higher value of Euros to US Dollars. Starting to think that the base model is going to be around $45k with smaller battery and RWD.

Attached Files:

Titanium and WillWord like this.
  11. I'm inclined to think it'll be closer to $40k. Not because there's specific evidence to this, but because the conversion from EU prices to US prices is always kind of weird, and because $45k for the base model would not be competitive. The ID.4 starts around $40k if I recall, the Mach-E ~$43k, the Model Y ~$49k. Tesla's buzz makes it so that it's essentially impossible to compete with dollar for dollar (and the Model Y standard range, for the last fifteen minutes it was actually available, was around $40k), so at any given trim it's strategically sensible to try to undercut tesla as much as practicable.

But obviously, this is wild speculation. We'll just have to wait and see.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Kendalf

Kendalf Active Member

I saw a post recently on an Austrian IONIQ 5 group that the base price of the IONIQ 5 was actually a couple thousand euros cheaper than the base Hyundai Kona EV. I haven't been able to find that original post to provide the source, plus I don't know how the base specs of the two cars compares in Austria, but it can provide some hope that Hyundai might be able to price the IONIQ 5 more competitively.

elfrocampeador likes this.
  14. Nozuka

Nozuka New Member

This is the price list from Austria, not Germany, fyi :)
    (The „NoVA“ gives it away)

15. salant76

salant76 Member

I realized that after another post from the FB Group complaining that Austria has gotten pricing info and Germany has not.

16. Great point! They call it a sub-brand, but it still wears the Hyundai badge and is sold and serviced by Hyundai. So, it's a sub-brand ( to my mind) in a practically negligible sense. I personally think the Hyundai logo detracts from the car and I'd have them removed if I bought one.

insightman likes this.
  17. I think its ground clearance won't be a whole lot different than other mid-size crossover. Its snow-going abilities, like most/all EVs will be determined by its traction systems and which winter tires you put on it (Nokian Hakkapeliitta tires have a great rep). The 2-wheel drive version will be front-wheel-drive, but since it doesn't have a heavy engine sitting over the front wheels, that's not an advantage.
    The Ioniq 5 comes with 20-inch wheels, so may sit a smidge higher than Ariya.

18. How big is the advantage of AWD over RWD for traction purposes (for those of us who can't be bothered to switch tires twice a year :p)

Btw, and interesting detail from another forum: The Ioniq 5 will also (probably) be offered with 19" wheels, which should improve efficiency, and thus range, by some 6%

Domenick likes this.
  19. Really, AWD is mostly good for getting going. After that, there's not really much advantage. It may even make some people over confident and get them in trouble. AWD doesn't help you stop or turn. If you live in snow country, snow tires are a huge safety improvement. Even if it's just cold with no snow, the rubbed in snow tires is softer and will give you much better grip and stopping power, which could save yours's and your passenger's lives.

Clamps likes this.
  20. Kendalf

Kendalf Active Member

It appears that the base model will come with the 19" wheels (as well as black trim instead of silver), like the one in this video. I personally like the look of these wheels more than the 20" one.

Although from what I heard some Austrian buyers are rather upset that the special "Project 45" version being sold to Austria will also come with the 19" wheels instead of the 20" turbine wheels.

Domenick likes this.
  21. Here's a link provided by Jan on Ioniq Forum: https://s7g10.scene7.com/is/content/hyundaiautoever/IONIQ-5-Teknisk_25-02-21pdf
    (I can't read the language, but the numbers are clear enough). It would seem to imply that 19" wheels might be available on various configurations (and those efficiency values are pretty promising, depending on how they were arrived at. The document looks official, but I'm inclined to take the values with a grain of salt until we learn more.

IMO, the 20" wheels look better than the 19s, but the 19s would probably be the better all around choice if available (due to the improved efficiency and probably cheaper tires)

22. restyler

restyler Active Member

Going from the Austrian price list, it looked to me like 20" wheels will come as standard with the higher capacity 73kWh battery, & as the Project 45 version will come with AWD & that larger battery, then it would therefore also come with the 20" wheels - well that's how I read it :)

23. Kendalf

Kendalf Active Member

I'm going by what I heard from some Austrian buyers who received confirmations of their reservation for a Project 45 first edition model.
    [​IMG]

However, it appears that some dealers are offering an exchange for the 20" wheels due to the backlash, however.

The 20" wheels should certainly be an option for the normal, non-Project 45 models.