Will consumers in Northeast CARB states start seeing great EV deals in 2018?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mark W, Apr 26, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    Hi all,

I have heard that there have been CARB regulations in place for years in the CARB states that follow California emissions standards that require a certain % of car sales be EVs. It is also my understanding that that there was a "Transfer rule" in place through 2017 that allowed the other states to take credits for EV sales in California. That "Transfer rule" expired in 2018, so now there needs to be 4.5% of sales to be EV sales in the Northeast states.

I think I must be missing something though, because I live in CT, one of these Northeast CARB states, and EV sales remain very low, and I have seen no programs or incentives to increase sales. So, what am I missing here? Do these regulations have no real teeth? I am linking below an article that references these regulations. I hope someone here can shed some light on this because I would be surprised if EV sales are much over 1% in CT currently.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1116070_buyers-in-seven-northeast-states-urged-to-consider-electric-cars

WadeTyhon likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Let me suggest looking at the plug-in, Prius Prime. We're seeing significant discounts so it is cheaper to buy over the Internet; take a discount flight, and; drive it home. I haven't checked other plug-in hybrid prices.

Source: https://priuschat.com/threads/2017-prius-prime-official-prices-paid-thread.174763/
    (Start from the most recent to see what the market is doing.)

Bob Wilson

ps. I supposed a BEV or FCV could be shipped from a CARB State.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  4. WadeTyhon

WadeTyhon Well-Known Member

CARB requirements are effective but they were written to benefit California first. Automakers have also certainly taken advantage of a few loopholes in the process. There are certainly reasons why other CARB states with ZEV requirements haven't received many EV deliveries and the travel provision was a huge part of that.

I'm glad to see the travel provision go for EVs... unfortunately it is still around for HFCVs. And automakers like Toyota and Honda are taken advantage of that in order to nab some last minute ZEV credits in all CARB states.

I just started writing an article on the main site to discuss CARB ZEV requirements, the options automakers have for compliance, and how the automakers are doing. In the mean time I discussed this some ago with Pushy as it specifically related to GM. https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/whats-the-deal-with-the-bolt-ampera-e-supply-demand-problems.145/

5. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    Thanks for your reply WadeTyhon, that was interesting reading. When do you think your article will be published?

So, for those manufacturers that have no EVs, how do they comply?

I guess my main question is, to use CT as an example, is it more advantageous for a manufacturer to pay a penalty or buy credits from other manufacturers than discount EVs or PHEVs? Will I see manufacturer incentives to sell Bolts, Volts, Leafs, Claritys in CT if they look like they will not meet their requirements? I'm guessing the answer is no, because we are already 1/3 of the way through the year, and I don't notice anything.

6. Feed The Trees

Feed The Trees Active Member

The issue with flying and driving is that you likely won't have a local dealer certified to work on the car, nor would they have parts.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

And that is a bad thing?

I’ve paid for five quarts of oil in a 3.8 quart change once too often.

Bob Wilson

9. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    I'm guessing I won't be seeing those deals that I was hoping for! :(

10. Feed The Trees

Feed The Trees Active Member

It is if you need help with the electrical system or heating or cooling or anything specific to the EV part and nobody is certified to fix it.

11. WadeTyhon

WadeTyhon Well-Known Member

It depends on the car you're looking for. If your car is in high demand and low quantity in your area then you're unlikely to get a good deal.

But if you're patient and open to other lower end trims or doing a little bit of traveling you can usually find a good deal. What car are you interested in?

Also, I hope to finish the article this weekend and send it in next week. I am just contributing when I can in between my full time job and freelance work. I've been swamped with work the past 2 weeks! So it's been slow going, especially since so I had much data to gather first!

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    I'm looking for a Volt, Clarity, Bolt, or Leaf. Looking for a deal.